RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Proposed Toyota/Lexus Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 01:21 AM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proposed Toyota/Lexus Settlement

Surprised no one mention about this proposed settlement

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/

Looks like 2010 RX is on the list and will get Brake Override if settlement is approved

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#2

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8
Old 04-09-13, 02:07 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You just have to love these lawsuits. Toyota creates a fund of $250 million for the settlement payouts and pays an additional $30 million for safety education and research while separately the lawyers can earn up to $227 million in fees and expenses.
Old 04-09-13, 02:41 AM
Barrett50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
You just have to love these lawsuits. Toyota creates a fund of $250 million for the settlement payouts and pays an additional $30 million for safety education and research while separately the lawyers can earn up to $227 million in fees and expenses.
Predatory litigation....disgusting.
Old 04-09-13, 05:22 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Old news

It's definitely a sign the media is board . It's old news. Probably close to a year ago, all of us with the affected early 2010 models got a recall mailing to take our cars in. They made a computer adjustment to shut down the engine if both the brake and throttle were pressed at the same time OR the start button was held down for something like 3 sec I think and they cut (I forgot how much) a little from the bottom of the throttle to keep non OEM mats or mats improperly installed from connecting with it. IMHO nothing was actually wrong, just that Toyota and Lexus were making themselves dummy proof from a litigious society.

There still isn't a fix for the dummy's that panic and stomp on the throttle and later state their foot was only on the brake as the car hurtled down the road and tried to move an immovable object .

Now if someone didn't take their car in for the modification they won't get very far in court trying to implicate Toyota or Lexus.
Originally Posted by flystone
Surprised no one mention about this proposed settlement

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/

Looks like 2010 RX is on the list and will get Brake Override if settlement is approved

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#2

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8
Old 04-09-13, 06:39 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Not old news. The settlement didn't go through yet. It's a $1billion Toyota will pay out to avoid litigation for all of models NOT affected by "unintended acceleration". They're buying their way out of a lawsuit that may tarnish their reputation. Who knows what the "experts" may come up with and how the media will react. They made the call to settle.
I will be compensated $125 for my IS 300 because they can't offer a brake override system. I don't want one to begin with. Toyota shouldn't have to pay for it. But, such is our society. It's a PR call.
Old 04-09-13, 07:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing, mine is 2013. Dont need to worry about these
Old 04-09-13, 07:24 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
[There still isn't a fix for the dummy's that panic and stomp on the throttle and later state their foot was only on the brake as the car hurtled down the road and tried to move an immovable object .
This. Seriously, I think out of all the supposed incidents, ONLY about 2 couldn't be explained. Every other one was driver error or mats on mats on mats. It's amazing, I've seen $80k LS460s with bath mats on top of factory mats. Or cheap cheap autozone clear mats on top of factory mats.
Old 04-09-13, 10:19 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
This. Seriously, I think out of all the supposed incidents, ONLY about 2 couldn't be explained. Every other one was driver error or mats on mats on mats. It's amazing, I've seen $80k LS460s with bath mats on top of factory mats. Or cheap cheap autozone clear mats on top of factory mats.
I've had trouble finding a bath mat that matches my grey interior.
Old 04-09-13, 12:16 PM
flystone
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's definitely a sign the media is board . It's old news. Probably close to a year ago, all of us with the affected early 2010 models got a recall mailing to take our cars in. They made a computer adjustment to shut down the engine if both the brake and throttle were pressed at the same time OR the start button was held down for something like 3 sec I think and they cut (I forgot how much) a little from the bottom of the throttle to keep non OEM mats or mats improperly installed from connecting with it. IMHO nothing was actually wrong, just that Toyota and Lexus were making themselves dummy proof from a litigious society.

There still isn't a fix for the dummy's that panic and stomp on the throttle and later state their foot was only on the brake as the car hurtled down the road and tried to move an immovable object .

Now if someone didn't take their car in for the modification they won't get very far in court trying to implicate Toyota or Lexus.
We never receive any mailing about brake override, the only mailing we received was a few month ago regarding floor mats I believe..
Old 04-09-13, 12:23 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL, for those of us that actually drive and know the cars, it's really crazy what folks try to get away with. Gotta wonder what the California Highway Patrol dude was smoking (not trying to make light of the deaths but...).
Originally Posted by offroad200
Old 04-09-13, 01:13 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Wonderful.. mine is on the list...
Old 04-09-13, 02:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Why the concern? I haven't heard of anyone experiencing unintended acceleration in their RX. This topic in general has been beaten to a pulp on CL. Just do a search. For the record I received the postcard a while ago. Last year I had the TSB done to check the floor mats and shave the gas pedal. Now the pedal looks hideous. As far as this settlement, take it for what it is.
Old 04-09-13, 05:19 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree. Enough discussion on an all-too-old subject. I don't dismiss the real original couple of accidents -- one near me here in San Diego, but Toyota/Lexus has done the recall perhaps broader than necessary and taken the hit marketing and brand-wise. They are paying the people that sued, the Feds perhaps to get this behind them at last, and a bunch of lawyers are making obscene money on both sides of the equation ... all, that we the owners of recent and future Lexus vehicles, end-up paying some portion of some way or other through future service and/or purchase prices. Next time at least I see a price increase or some little cutback on a new MY (as I did on the 2013's), well, I for one, will wonder how much of Lexus' decision to do that was to save money to pay for past and future litigation. As a previous poster said, such is our society today... I'd add, be it with automobiles like this thread or even more obscure lawsuits at places like theme parks that are in the news every few months and must certainly contribute to their growing entrance fees.
Old 04-09-13, 06:35 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I agree, all the news and litigation has affected the resale value of the cars. I had 3 sets of postcards.
Old 04-10-13, 07:18 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Why the concern? I haven't heard of anyone experiencing unintended acceleration in their RX.
Well, we did. It was on our 2010 RX350, and I posted our experience here in Sept.

I wasn't (and still am not) looking for a settlement from Lexus, or anyone else. I'm not a "dummy", and I'm not interested in suing anyone. All I was looking for from Lexus was for them to tell me what MAY have caused my wife to nearly drive into the side of a building while coasting through a small parking lot. I would have been happy having them show us what SHE may have done wrong, causing the car to accelerate, but we got nothing. I wanted some reassurance there was something that either Lexus could fix, or something we could adjust in our driving habits so I had some reason to believe it wouldn't happen again. Without even a viable theory about what might have happened, there was no reason to think it wouldn't happen again. Would anyone here let their spouse or kid drive the same car under those circumstances? Since they couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything other that "everything is operating as designed" and "we could find no evidence there is anything wrong", my only option was to get a different car for my wife to drive. Lexus was totally dismissive and unwilling to consider ANY alternative to help mitigate our problem, and we were left to make the best deal we could for a different car. Thankfully, our dealer gave us what they said was the best deal they could to buy a new 2013 RX450h. We were OK with the deal, and even though it cost us a LOT, we bought it. We have been very happy with the new car.

I'm not making any judgements, and I'm not trying to justify anything. I just have an issue being dismissed because it's easier for people with no knowledge of our specific issue to assume I'm a "dummy" for not knowing the difference between a brake pedal and the accelerator, or I'm a litigious criminal trying to get free money for something that is either an outright lie or my fault. Neither is the truth. I'm not even trying to get someone to admit the possibility that it even happened, because I already know it did. I'm simply pointing out that there MIGHT be additional facts that some people don't know about. As Anita mentioned, no one has ever heard about what happened to us, because Lexus/Toyota simply never made our complaint public (I wouldn't have either).

Now you have at least some of the facts, and maybe a new perspective. BTW-I'm still a big fan of the Lexus vehicles, and we are VERY happy with both of our cars. I wish Lexus had been a bit more helpful in this case, rather than try so aggressively to limit their perceived potential liability ..... but I understand. They too, either assumed we were either dummies, or dishonest and trying to screw them. Either that or they really did find something wrong, and are just denying it due to potential liability issues. I seriously doubt it, but it is no less reasonable than to assume I'm a dishonest idiot.

Last edited by User 41924; 04-10-13 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Proposed Toyota/Lexus Settlement