RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Different coloured wheels - F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 08:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Different coloured wheels - F Sport?

Hi, never really noticed before but one of my wheels are a different colour to the rest. The front right wheel is a different shade of grey to the others. Its been much more noticeable after the sun has been coming out as its a darker, greenier grey, rather than the original F Sport grey ones. All other wheels are the same colour.

Any ideas what to do about this or what has caused this?
Old 04-18-13, 08:27 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

what? Nothing at all?
Old 04-18-13, 08:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I assume you have the superchrome wheels which I have too. It's a few steps to get that color. I don't notice any difference on mine. Maybe speak to your dealer. It could possibly be a defect and should be replaced by them. Good luck.
Old 04-18-13, 09:19 AM
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bring it to the dealer to take a look at. That would drive me crazy I can't think of any good reason for one wheel to be a different shade than the others. I have an F-Sport as well....I am going to have to check out my wheels and make sure they are all the same color!

Let us know what you find out. I am interested to hear the dealer answer and solution (which hopefully is to replace the wheel for you).
Old 04-18-13, 01:09 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

It honestly looks very very similiar to the ct200h f sport wheel colour which are a darker, less shiny grey. I have a hunch that the wheel was damaged on the ship and was painted. Its not a huge difference and its unnoticeable unless in bright sunlight, possibly why I missed it before. Car is hitting 10k miles so will be going for a service soon, ill see what they say.
Old 04-19-13, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Any chance you can take a pic of the "defective" one and another pic of another wheel on your F-Sport? Don't believe I noticed any difference with mine but I'll check this weekend.
Old 04-21-13, 07:02 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Any chance you can take a pic of the "defective" one and another pic of another wheel on your F-Sport? Don't believe I noticed any difference with mine but I'll check this weekend.
Right took some quick pics. I understand the car is a little dirty but going to wash tonight and will post more decent pics to get a true representation as well as the other wheels which are the right colour but here are the quick pics just to get the ball rolling.

The front wheel, dull and rather greeny grey:

The perfect, super shiny real F Sport ones :

And dont be alarmed about the tyres, switched to the dunlops seen as though i had them and no ones buying them off me. Will replace with my set of pirelli scorpion verde soon
Old 04-21-13, 11:32 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It appears the dirtiest tire and wheel is the front. I'm interesting in seeing if they're different after a good wash & scrub.
Originally Posted by rayaans
Right took some quick pics. I understand the car is a little dirty but going to wash tonight and will post more decent pics to get a true representation as well as the other wheels which are the right colour but here are the quick pics just to get the ball rolling.

The front wheel, dull and rather greeny grey:

The perfect, super shiny real F Sport ones :

And dont be alarmed about the tyres, switched to the dunlops seen as though i had them and no ones buying them off me. Will replace with my set of pirelli scorpion verde soon
Old 04-21-13, 12:00 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Its the actual colour of the wheel itself. Very little brake dust on the car, its only travelled 100 miles since last washed. The other side is completely normal, its just the one wheel which is a greeny dark grey colour
Old 04-21-13, 01:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Very true, our 450hs produce little brake dust. Driving through rain makes them dirtier. If the other side looked the same, then I'd say your rims need to be cleaned. There is definitely a noticeable color difference. I'd bring it up with the dealer when you're in for service. Something's not right. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 04-21-13, 03:33 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Very true, our 450hs produce little brake dust. Driving through rain makes them dirtier. If the other side looked the same, then I'd say your rims need to be cleaned. There is definitely a noticeable color difference. I'd bring it up with the dealer when you're in for service. Something's not right. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Hi Anita, just to make it clear, the wheels on the left side as well as the rear right wheel are the same colour. The odd one out is the front right wheel which is much darker. Was going to wash the car tonight but it began raining so didnt bother but ill wash the car next week and keep you posted.
Old 04-21-13, 04:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

When I said the other side I meant the front left wheel. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My rims have a darker finish than the standard ones, similar to your last picture. All of mine match after 3 years/24K miles with no hint of discoloration. It's really a shame on such a beautiful RX The dealer should make it right for you.

BTW, I like your rims better. Less crevices to clean, LOL!
Old 04-22-13, 05:53 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
When I said the other side I meant the front left wheel. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My rims have a darker finish than the standard ones, similar to your last picture. All of mine match after 3 years/24K miles with no hint of discoloration. It's really a shame on such a beautiful RX The dealer should make it right for you.

BTW, I like your rims better. Less crevices to clean, LOL!
I understand you have the darker finish than the original rims. The F Sport ones are darker still but only slightly. So yes, only one of my wheels are a different colour and hopefully the dealer will replace the wheel.
Old 04-23-13, 07:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Rayaans, thanks for the pics. I trust in person the difference is noticeable and valid. Unfortunately for me, not to challenge the closeup picture, but if one safely assumes the tires are consistent in person, the front right pic has a "greyish/green" tire while the rear right is black. The top pic seems more valid and seems to show a darker less shiny front right wheel though. Btw, I washed mine this weekend and I looked at my four wheels and all four consistently "superchrome dark gray" all around. If you get a chance after a nice wash, take pics again and base line it against the tire so you know any differences with the wheel finish is not due to different picture hues.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-23-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 08:40 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Rayaans, thanks for the pics. I trust in person the difference is noticeable and valid. Unfortunately for me, not to challenge the closeup picture, but if one safely assumes the tires are consistent in person, the front right pic has a "greyish/green" tire while the rear right is black. The top pic seems more valid and seems to show a darker less shiny front right wheel though. Btw, I washed mine this weekend and I looked at my four wheels and all four consistently "superchrome dark gray" all around. If you get a chance after a nice wash, take pics again and base line it against the tire so you know any differences with the wheel finish is not due to different picture hues.
Right, the car seriously needs a wash and will do so this Saturday. Ill take a before and after picture of the two wheels on each side so they can be compared. Also, ill put some tyre shine on so the tyres also look consistent. Will post pics on saturday. Thanks

Quick Reply: Different coloured wheels - F Sport?