RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A nice bath!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 11:06 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A nice bath!

Funny how a new car always makes you take more care! I honestly haven't used as many products with the RX as I have with any other car! Polished with Simoniz Diamond Hard and waxed with the mighty Meguiars 16!

Old 04-28-13, 11:10 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, and that is true about we taking good care for our cars when it is new. I guess that interest will be depreciated in time with the car value too
Old 04-28-13, 01:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Great pictures. Your hard work shows. And I definitely agree having an RX brings out OCD big time. I have more product for the RXh than for myself, LOL! But it's worth it.
Old 04-28-13, 02:55 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Great pictures. Your hard work shows. And I definitely agree having an RX brings out OCD big time. I have more product for the RXh than for myself, LOL! But it's worth it.
My previous 2005 RX was a mess. It was obsidian black and was a PITA to look after. Not so much the fact that it got dirty, because it had a wash every week but the swirls were killing the shine. Probably due to me using a sponge and one bucket . I swore Id change my ways so here we are!

It "only" took 2 hours! Was rather warm so the water dried very quickly and the shampoo i use dries with no water spots . Polish was easy to do. It doesnt work on my wifes Merc because it doesnt have enough cut but works a treat on the RX. Must be the soft paint. Very easy to remove swirls which is a bonus!!

With all the rain over here in spring and pollen flying everywhere as well as birds doing their business constantly, really needed to put some wax on to protect it. The claying and contamination removal will follow in summer .
Old 04-28-13, 05:43 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome looking RX. I love those LED headlamps
Old 04-29-13, 04:51 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I personally dont believe clay bar or polish swirls fix. I heard those product simply thin out your top coat to remove swirls. Over using them are not reccommended. You will eventually lose your top coat

I normally use synthetic arcrylic gloss protectant to remove swirls. They last upto 12 months. What they do is to form a clear shield layer similar to wax layer, but harder, and thicker, and fill in the swirls nicely. They do shine your car paint up too. But they dont have a warm glow to it as canauba wax does.

So what i do is having that synthetic wax on the first layer. Then canauba wax follows. It works great
Old 04-29-13, 06:19 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I personally dont believe clay bar or polish swirls fix. I heard those product simply thin out your top coat to remove swirls. Over using them are not reccommended. You will eventually lose your top coat
<snip>
Absolutely correct. In order to remove swirls (small valleys in clear coat), you must remove the surrounding clear coat down to the level of the bottom of the valleys. In the friction process required, it removes and thins clear coat. That's the nature of that process. Typical clear coat thickness is similar to the thickness of a "Post-It" note.

Clay-barring may not remove a significant amount of clear as it's purpose is to glide over the surface and remove bonded contaminates. However, compounds and polishes are designed to remove clear coat, as are the pads and power tools used in the process.

So yes, repeated use will reduce the thickness of your clear coat, particularly if done incorrectly, ie using a rotary buffer with poor techniques and too aggressive pads and products on "soft" clear coat. If done correctly and using common sense, the process may be repeated over the life of the car.

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-29-13 at 06:25 AM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 04-29-13, 06:30 AM
DunWkg
Racer

rayaans,

Nicely done!
Old 04-29-13, 07:15 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

My car has never been clayed and its been nearly a year since I got it. Does have a lot of fallout and tar on it so will have to clay in the summer. Clay definitely does not thin the paint. It just glides over and picks up contamination from the car. It DOES NOT remove swirls. As for polishing, the car is polished by hand every 3 months or so. The polish I use has the lowest cut imaginable which is probably why it has no effect on harder paints of German cars such as my wife's mercedes for example. There is no noticeable paint thickness difference when measuring.
Old 04-29-13, 08:31 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
My car has never been clayed and its been nearly a year since I got it. Does have a lot of fallout and tar on it so will have to clay in the summer. Clay definitely does not thin the paint. It just glides over and picks up contamination from the car. It DOES NOT remove swirls. As for polishing, the car is polished by hand every 3 months or so. The polish I use has the lowest cut imaginable which is probably why it has no effect on harder paints of German cars such as my wife's mercedes for example. There is no noticeable paint thickness difference when measuring.
Interesting! May I have the specific title and Brand of the one you are using ? It is good to learn more everyday
Old 04-29-13, 10:15 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Its called Simoniz Diamond Hard wax. It might not be available in the US but its an all in one. Has a very low cut and also fillers which fill the deeper swirls in. Definitely works for Lexus paint but sucks on everything else .
Old 04-29-13, 10:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Whitigir, check out the detailing forum. Do a search to find recommendations on anything and everything. There are also a few resident experts who can answer any questions you might have. Finally our CL vendors are a great source of information and give us discounts

rayaans, I imagine there are differences in product offerings on both sides of the pond. I like to stick with some of the German brands. They do wonders on soft Lexus paint, LOL!
Old 04-29-13, 06:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

I think we all agree, claying does not remove swirls. If used improperly, it can definitely make swirls and scratches. It's similar to a Brillo pad if used without proper lubrication!!!

I too like all-in-ones on my RXh.
Old 04-29-13, 08:29 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I also use a lot of Meguiars waxes. My teenage Daughter calls my '12 RX the trophy car cause I take her 2004 Camry to work if it rains,and leave my freshly detailed RX in the garage. She has to carpool to school with her other friends cars on rainy days...LOL.
Old 04-30-13, 05:46 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
You are right, I bathe my RX more than myself!

Quick Reply: A nice bath!