RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who Has the Highest Mileage on their Gen3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 08:39 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
2011 Touring package at 142K.

Wait, I'm in Canada so that's about 80K miles.

My 2004 2nd gen had about 150K miles or so when it was replaced with the 2011.
That's about 88,000 miles.

I'm at 134,000km, or 83,000 miles.
Old 02-29-16, 07:37 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
That's about 88,000 miles.

I'm at 134,000km, or 83,000 miles.
I gained another 8k miles just by fixing my failed mental math.:-)
Old 03-01-16, 05:19 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRX
I'd also be interested in what problems people with the high mileage have had.
If you look at my post from May 2015, you'll get my list from last year. Updated:

My 350 is doing well enough. Things I've noticed/done as the mileage creeps higher:

- A little squeakier than it used to be, but not annoyingly so. (There is now a real annoying squeak on the right read strut; no leakage, but it's noisy going over bumps).

- The strut that holds up the hatch is failing, so the hatch droops. I've just been shoving it up manually, but my husband has whacked his head a time or two on it. (Still not replaced - no leaks, just a little saggy).

- I had to replace one headlight a few months back; one bulb had failed. (Another bulb just died, so that was fixed this weekend. Also, one rear light in the night lights array failed.

- My battery was beginning to test a little low, so I just finally replaced it at 160k miles.

- Front brakes were done at 94,141 miles; rear brakes at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Replaced sparkplugs and wires at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Tires: replaced the Dunlops with Yokohama Parada Spec-X's at 44k; loved them. Replaced them with the Nitto Crosstek's recommended by my tire guy at 107k - don't like them as much. (Will be looking to replace these soon with a new set of the Parada Spec-X's).

- I took it to a local shop for the 150k service late last year; flushed the radiator fluid, checked the thermostat and water pump - no problems. Checked the hoses and belts - no issues yet. In fact, many of the hoses are metal lines, with only a rubber coupling. The indy shop was very impressed with how well-built the mechanics on this car are....

- I did have an alignment done (the first one!) last month. Cost was $90.
Old 03-01-16, 08:05 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive most are just wear and tear!

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
If you look at my post from May 2015, you'll get my list from last year. Updated:

My 350 is doing well enough. Things I've noticed/done as the mileage creeps higher:

- A little squeakier than it used to be, but not annoyingly so. (There is now a real annoying squeak on the right read strut; no leakage, but it's noisy going over bumps).

- The strut that holds up the hatch is failing, so the hatch droops. I've just been shoving it up manually, but my husband has whacked his head a time or two on it. (Still not replaced - no leaks, just a little saggy).

- I had to replace one headlight a few months back; one bulb had failed. (Another bulb just died, so that was fixed this weekend. Also, one rear light in the night lights array failed.

- My battery was beginning to test a little low, so I just finally replaced it at 160k miles.

- Front brakes were done at 94,141 miles; rear brakes at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Replaced sparkplugs and wires at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Tires: replaced the Dunlops with Yokohama Parada Spec-X's at 44k; loved them. Replaced them with the Nitto Crosstek's recommended by my tire guy at 107k - don't like them as much. (Will be looking to replace these soon with a new set of the Parada Spec-X's).

- I took it to a local shop for the 150k service late last year; flushed the radiator fluid, checked the thermostat and water pump - no problems. Checked the hoses and belts - no issues yet. In fact, many of the hoses are metal lines, with only a rubber coupling. The indy shop was very impressed with how well-built the mechanics on this car are....

- I did have an alignment done (the first one!) last month. Cost was $90.
Old 03-02-16, 10:09 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sandi , if you calculated how much you spent for mile, no doubt it would be incredibly low. None of the repairs are out of the ordinary either. I'm trying to figure out how you managed to delay replacing the brakes and battery for so long. And first alignment last month and you're on your third set of tires?? Wow, that's pretty incredible.

Not quite 43K here
Old 03-02-16, 12:06 PM
Rocknrose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 173400 on my 2007 gs and I'm now have a 114 mile Roundtree commute.
Old 05-01-16, 07:03 PM
Sean4414
10th Gear

Default Highest miles recorded

I'm looking to see how many miles owners have put on their cars. I'm young at 42k
Old 05-01-16, 09:14 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a 2010 in January with 256K on it.

Ran great! Was used as a Livery in NY City... was in decent shape for the miles too.
Old 05-02-16, 06:01 AM
Sean4414
10th Gear

Wow. That makes me feel good. I'm gonna hopefully drive mine for as long as I can. Did u have to do any serious work to it?
Old 05-02-16, 07:02 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, actually not at all. It came in on trade through the new car dept and when I saw it I was actually shocked at how solid it was.

No leaks, engine and trans worked great.. seats were pretty worn but overall a nice car.

Someone also got a 3rd gen RX with Navi for $9995....
Old 09-29-16, 10:26 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi , if you calculated how much you spent for mile, no doubt it would be incredibly low. None of the repairs are out of the ordinary either. I'm trying to figure out how you managed to delay replacing the brakes and battery for so long. And first alignment last month and you're on your third set of tires?? Wow, that's pretty incredible.

Not quite 43K here
Anita, I still hate you.

Yep, just turned over 181k. Still on only one front and rear brake job, still showing 5-6mm on each pad, a little glazing of the rotors. Replaced the OEM battery at 160k.

The shop tells me, after yesterday's service, that it's probably time for new shocks and struts. I'm OK with that. Also, probably time for new tires, since I have 74k on this set. I don't want to have bad tires on the car, going into winter...
Old 09-30-16, 02:51 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sandi, glad to hear your RX is still going strong. If it makes you feel better, I've never gotten 74k on a set of tires. More like half that at best. Replacing the shock and struts will hopefully improve the ride. Good luck with that.

You cam't hate me since I have a 4RX now
Old 09-30-16, 04:55 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Anita, I think I hate you. Your RX450 is barely broken in!

- A little squeakier than it used to be, but not annoyingly so.

- The strut that holds up the hatch is failing, so the hatch droops. I've just been shoving it up manually, but my husband has whacked his head a time or two on it.

- I had to replace one headlight a few months back; one bulb had failed.

- My battery is beginning to test a little low, so I should get one soon.

- Front brakes were done at 94,141 miles; rear brakes at 120,564.

- Replaced sparkplugs and wires at 120,564.

- Tires: replaced the Dunlops with Yokohama Parada Spec-X's at 44k; loved them. Replaced them with the Nitto Crosstek's recommended by my tire guy at 107k - don't like them as much.

I got all crazy and went through my 5 years of receipts - and entered them into a Google spreadsheet for easy access and totaling up of costs. I've spent $10,643 on the RX350 in maintenance - a little over $2k per year, and that is inclusive of everything.

My Lexus dealer is no longer giving me a loaner when I come in for what they consider "minor" service. Since I work 30 miles away, and was using them because of the loaner (and not having to cool my heels for a couple of hours for an oil change) I am less likely to use them going forward for the simple stuff. There is a large Toyota dealer that opened up in the next town over, and they have extended evening and weekend hours. I've used them once, and been pleased, so I think they're going to become my new dealership for maintenance.
Am I reading this right, you changed your original brakes at 94K & 120K?? Or was there a brake change earlier that I missed?
Old 10-05-16, 02:44 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 12 had 2mm left on the front pads and very rusty rotors, the backs hd 9-8 mm and the rotors looked great at 50,000. I bought the rx 27 months ago with 28,000 miles on it. My average cost per year is only 380.00 and that is with a front brake job, it will go up in time I am sure but I never use the dealer except for warranty work.

Last edited by hovbuild; 10-05-16 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 05:32 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

This thread did not hit my radar while I was looking around and researching the 3rd Gen Rx's several months ago. Lots of other threads did get my viewing time, though, and I did purchase a 2-owner 2010 RX450h about 5-6 weeks ago, and NOW I discover this thread. Reading through it just adds more confidence to my purchase, and I'm enjoying the forum greatly. Thanks for all the input from you folks here and elsewhere in CL!!

Quick Reply: Who Has the Highest Mileage on their Gen3?