RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

To AC or not to AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 08:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Vlad, i keep the AC on all the time. I can't be bothered switching it off every time I want to open the windows. With the AC being electric powered on the RXh, I don't feel guilty doing just that. And frankly sometimes the two make for a good counterbalance. On those cool mornings I manually adjust the temp up a few degrees, then turn it down later when it's warmer. For the most part though the fan is at a low speed. I'm not a big fan of artificial cold.

I'm not sure what you mean by mileage and performance being affected by the AC. I've crawled in traffic watching the MPG tick upwards with the AC on. If I want more power, I'll switch eco mode off. Not familiar with the noise you mention when idling. Most of the time I'm too busy listening to the stereo. I'll check it out later on the drive home. Temps are going up to the mid 80s.
Anita, try standing outside, next to the parked vehicle, when the AC is on. You will hear the noise I'm talking about. The hybrid would be completely silent with the engine off, unless the AC is ON.

Since AC consumes electric power that would have otherwise been converted into motion, it does decrease MPGs slightly, as well as performance. It may not be as noticeable as the RXh is a fairly large vehicle with a powerful engine. I would recommend an experiment as to how far or fast one could go in EV mode with AC on and AC off.

If one was to park and run the AC instead of keeping windows open, the engine would have to kick-in often to compensate for the electric drain. That will negatively affect MPGs. Of course, nowhere near as bad as idling a conventional engine.
Old 05-21-13, 03:44 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vlad makes some good points. I've run my Altima Hybrid down sitting in traffic and both the MPG and performance drop considerably until the battery charges back up. Luckily this is pretty rare for me. Maybe once every three months or so, but it sucks hearing the engine kick on and seeing the charge needle down near empty. That car does have an AC hard button but I never think to switch it off when sitting for extended periods of time. Maybe next time... maybe.
Old 05-21-13, 04:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Vlad, I tried your suggestion about listening from outside the RXh. I hear a sound like rushing air and an ever so slight higher pitched noise. It's not offensive but not silent either. I'd suggest turning up the stereo to fix that problem

The mileage impact with AC on is negligible compared to winter driving. That's where I see the biggest hit. I have to turn eco mode off. Otherwise the engine doesn't warm up enough for heat. And I can't forget the hills. To be honest, I haven't tried EV mode. No good, or bad, reason to sneak around anywhere, LOL! But I can get charged back up just by going down a hill near my house.
Old 05-21-13, 05:33 PM
lbi4fun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile RX hybrid with nav

Agree - for such a quality and technology filled vehicle - They sure could have come up with a simpler way to turn the AC on/off - I pitty anyone that looses their nav screen - goodbye controlling AC - ON/OFF button would be a great addition.
Old 05-21-13, 08:01 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree; my A/C is always coming on; today it was 67 outside and I had a/c set for 77 and it STILL came on; so had to manually turn it off; what a pain
Old 05-22-13, 06:19 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Things I don't do: Turn off climate control completely, turn off the automatic seat function, turn off the interior lights with the button on the upper console, turn off the two lights in the storage area, turn off of the day light running lights, turn off the radio, turn off bluetooth, turn off the navigation display, don't use the windows or moon roof, dim the dashboard backlighting, use the metal key to lock and unlock the doors. turn off photochromic mirror, turn off the lock/unlock feedback sound, don't adjust the seat positions, don't use wipers, use arm signals not turn signals. Some ideas are not safe. This the daylight list, nighttime would be different.
Old 05-22-13, 07:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

After parking in the garage yesterday, I turned the heat up to max while in full auto mode, AC still ON. It kept the AC running while pumping out hot air! Would anyone turn on the heat and AC in their house at the same time?

So, I asked my wife if she noticed our RX has no AC button. Her response was, it is the dumbest thing ever. She has to scroll through the menus each time she drives to turn the AC on or off.
And that's from a manufacturer that blocks most functionality in the menus when the vehicle is in motion.

I don't know why we even have the Fan Off button, which is the same as toggling the fan speed to the min, but no AC button.

So, once again, Nav system is the source of disappointment. So much for progress.
Old 05-22-13, 08:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Vlad, I know AC on is default for defrost but I don't bother turning it off in the winter. Last thing I want to do is to forget to turn it back on and then find myself driving one day in the summer in a thunderstorm with the windshield fogging up.

Getting back to the lack of an AC button, I would probably use it more often if there was one. Maybe Lexus didn't think we needed it since they added remote touch. Dunno.
Old 05-22-13, 08:27 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
After parking in the garage yesterday, I turned the heat up to max while in full auto mode, AC still ON. It kept the AC running while pumping out hot air! Would anyone turn on the heat and AC in their house at the same time?

So, I asked my wife if she noticed our RX has no AC button. Her response was, it is the dumbest thing ever. She has to scroll through the menus each time she drives to turn the AC on or off.
And that's from a manufacturer that blocks most functionality in the menus when the vehicle is in motion.

I don't know why we even have the Fan Off button, which is the same as toggling the fan speed to the min, but no AC button.

So, once again, Nav system is the source of disappointment. So much for progress.
How do you know the AC is still "ON". My wife assumed that early on when we got our first car with auto climate control. Just because a light is on doesn't mean the compressor is running.

Also, some conditions will run the AC to dehumidify, like when the defroster is running. I doubt you had it on defrost but it's still a valid reason to have the AC running in the cold.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-22-13, 08:39 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr72
How do you know the AC is still "ON". My wife assumed that early on when we got our first car with auto climate control. Just because a light is on doesn't mean the compressor is running.

Also, some conditions will run the AC to dehumidify, like when the defroster is running. I doubt you had it on defrost but it's still a valid reason to have the AC running in the cold.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Easy to tell with the Hybrid. The whining noise AC compressor makes is very distinct in the EV mode.
I know about the defrost. I was thinking about using it as a hack to turn on the AC when it is off.

Last edited by vlad_a; 05-22-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-22-13, 09:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BobBass
...Have you disabled the auto-recirc function when you start the car in hot weather? I had the dealer that for the 400h and TCH. Another PIA that you should be able to do on your own.
Haven't gotten that far yet. That's also annoying, but a quick hit of the recirc button fixes that.
Old 05-22-13, 05:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So while running full heat, when you got in the car and turned off the A/C enable, the whining noise went away?
Old 05-22-13, 07:39 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Circle of Confusion

This thread has become the circle of confusion. IMHO, the system works just fine. It's easier for me to get it doing what I want than to try and understand this thread >
Old 05-23-13, 06:16 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DunWkg
So while running full heat, when you got in the car and turned off the A/C enable, the whining noise went away?
Yep. Put the car on full heat and turned AC on and off. The whining noise from compressor starts and stops.

Last edited by vlad_a; 05-23-13 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 06:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
This thread has become the circle of confusion. IMHO, the system works just fine. It's easier for me to get it doing what I want than to try and understand this thread >
What's there to not understand? There's no AC button on the RX with Nav.

Got into my IS this morning. The temp is in the low 70s. AC is on from last night and the light is on to let me know it is on. Hit the button to turn it off. Opened the moonroof and windows and took off. Very simple routine that I'm very much used to.

I would like to be the one deciding when to turn the AC on, not the climate control, which keeps it running unnecessarily. The thermostat at home is setup the same way - you choose either heat or AC. Not both at the same time.

Quick Reply: To AC or not to AC