RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trying to decide if we should purchase... Few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 11:24 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide if we should purchase... Few questions...

Looking at a used 2013 with 4,000 miles through a non Lexus dealer and they are asking about the same as a new car at 1,500 below invoice price. While we were not originally looking at a Lexus ,we liked the ride, options and colors of this car.

What my wife does not like about it is the lack of reference guidelines on the back up camera system (trust me, she needs all the help she can get and backing out of the garage and driveway is an issue)

The other issue is that navigation disables most features while driving . We are familiar with this, as we have a Toyota, and we did purchase a bypass on it.

Has anyone found a way to add the reference guidelines, or have you heard that it could be done through the hard drive as a future update or by changing the camera? I believe there is a navigation bypass as well, if anyone has experience with having that done I would love your feedback. We did really like the BMW with the roof sensor for all around viewing and Audi for it being protected in the rain...but the Lexus looks pretty basic for the price tag of the car.

How does the voice recognition work as far as understanding your instructions while driving and is that a subscription service?

What do you think of the pricing at new invoice with $4,000 miles? and for those of you who find issue with the above as well, are you still glad you purchased?

We have 3 kids and that middle row seat is not for long distance driving but appreciate not having the hump on the middle rear floor.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Lexusbuzz; 05-30-13 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Changed asking price
Old 05-30-13, 11:27 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexusbuzz
Looking at a used 2013 with 4,000 miles through a non Lexus dealer and they are asking about the same as a new car invoice price. While we were not originally looking at a Lexus ,we liked the ride, options and colors of this car.

What my wife does not like about it is the lack of reference guidelines on the back up camera system (trust me, she needs all the help she can get and backing out of the garage and driveway is an issue)

The other issue is that navigation disables most features while driving . We are familiar with this, as we have a Toyota, and we did purchase a bypass on it.

Has anyone found a way to add the reference guidelines, or have you heard that it could be done through the hard drive as a future update or by changing the camera? I believe there is a navigation bypass as well, if anyone has experience with having that done I would love your feedback. We did really like the BMW with the roof sensor for all around viewing and Audi for it being protected in the rain...but the Lexus looks pretty basic for the price tag of the car.

How does the voice recognition work as far as understanding your instructions while driving and is that a subscription service?

What do you think of the pricing at new invoice with $4,000 miles? and for those of you who find issue with the above as well, are you still glad you purchased?

We have 3 kids and that middle row seat is not for long distance driving but appreciate not having the hump on the middle rear floor.
Thanks for the input!
You can get a brand new one below invoice price in most of lexus dealers.
Old 05-30-13, 11:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Ditto! Buy brand new for the same price. If you can get one without Nav with the options you want, that may be a good alternative. It is a source of many frustrations, such as a lack of AC button.

You can buy a Nav bypass module from Beatsonic. About $300. It adds a physical button to temporarily cut the speed sensor wire going to the Nav. DVD playback can be enabled by grounding the parking brake wire with no ill-effects.
Old 05-30-13, 11:40 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by seanlin
You can get a brand new one below invoice price in most of lexus dealers.
Apologies .... I just looked at invoice pricing again...The asking price is $1,500 under invoice
Old 05-30-13, 11:45 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Ditto! Buy brand new for the same price. If you can get one without Nav with the options you want, that may be a good alternative. It is a source of many frustrations, such as a lack of AC button.

You can buy a Nav bypass module from Beatsonic. About $300. It adds a physical button to temporarily cut the speed sensor wire going to the Nav. DVD playback can be enabled by grounding the parking brake wire with no ill-effects.
The asking price is $1,500 below invoice ...

The AC button is using the mouse correct ?

Thanks for the bypass info! Any bypass on the reference lines ?
Old 05-30-13, 11:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Yes, the AC button is in the Climate menu.
No prob! Not as far as I know. For some reason, Toyota decided not to have guidelines for our market as they do for others.
However, the park distance control (much improved for 2013) is very useful.
Old 05-30-13, 01:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome LexusBuzz. Take a look at this thread to get an idea of pricing on new '13 RXs. Then compare it to what the dealer is asking for the used '13. It'll probably change your mind.

Some of your other questions have been addressed. I'll just add a few members here have added nav bypass modules to their RXs. Works great. There are no guidelines unfortunately in the back up camera and I'm not aware of any possible upgrades. But having back-up sensors will probably help like vlad mentioned. Can't say for sure because I don't have them. Voice recognition is ok and is a standard feature of the RX. No subscription is requried. There are a bunch of things that can be done using it. However, women tend to have more problems than men getting the Lexus Nav Lady to understand them. I just do it myself.

The RX is far from basic to me, even after almost 15 years.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
Old 05-30-13, 01:54 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexusbuzz
Apologies .... I just looked at invoice pricing again...The asking price is $1,500 under invoice
Believe or not, $1500 under invoice for a new RX350 is still doable.

You can from more information here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...013-rx-44.html
Old 05-30-13, 03:34 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Eh what the hell, mine has parallel park guidelines and normal guidelines too.
Old 05-30-13, 05:57 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rayaans
Eh what the hell, mine has parallel park guidelines and normal guidelines too.
Americans can't tell gas and brake apart. Guidelines would further confuse them and we will loose another billion of dollars in litigation. Better not have them for USDM.
- Toyota
Old 05-31-13, 03:59 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Default What should I pay?

Thanks for all the input ! Taking in to consideration that I have to buy a bypass , not happy with the AC button or lack of guidance lines , what should I pay for

AWD,
19" alloy wheels, heat and ventilated front seats,
navigation,
intuitive park asst, premium package with blind spot monitor,
towing prep pack,
wood leather trimmed ****,
cargo mat, wheel locks, key gloves. Was MSRP $50,230 with 4,000 miles, dealer wants $46k but will take $45k

Of course I would also be giving up any service perks as well because I did not purchase from the dealer.

What would you all pay ?

Last edited by Lexusbuzz; 05-31-13 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-31-13, 07:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Make sure it has HID headlights. For some odd reason, Lexus decided not to bundle these on many new RXs.
The towing prep is not something really needed, IMHO.
19" wheels are nice, but some find them a little harsh. They're also not as friendly if one is prone to drive on a curb.

I would e-mail local dealers for a quote on a brand new RX. It won't be that far off.
Old 05-31-13, 07:32 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is unfortuante that the back up camera still does not have the guidelines even in the 2013. Recently, I was looking at a brand new Toyota Sienna - top of the line with the back up camera and navigation--guess what--it had the guidelines. So why can the Toyota have them ( I looked at that minivan in both the USA and had to affirm what I saw when i came home here in Canada) and not the Lexus?

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 05-31-13, 09:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

LexusBuzz, at $45K you are at 10% off MSRP. Granted the RX is used, not brand new. Still it's not bad. Today is the last day of the month too. Maybe try for a little more off. As far as perks by buying from a non-Lexus dealer, I wouldn't worry about it. Find a Lexus dealer you like for service. Before you know it, you'll establish a good relationship with them and get those perks.

But I have to ask you something and please don't get offended. It's about your statement about having to buy a bypass, not being happy with the AC button and lack of guidance lines. Are you sure the RX is for you? These things obviously bother you enough to mention them. And they can't be taken into consideration because, other than the bypass module, there's no way we can put a dollar value on it.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-31-13 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-31-13, 10:35 AM
RX350ON
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
LexusBuzz, at $45K you are at 10% off MSRP. Granted the RX is used, not brand new. Still it's not bad. Today is the last day of the month too. Maybe try for a little more off. As far as perks by buying from a non-Lexus dealer, I wouldn't worry about it. Find a Lexus dealer you like for service. Before you know it, you'll establish a good relationship with them and get those perks.

But I have to ask you something and please don't get offended. It's about your statement about having to buy a bypass, not being happy with the AC button and lack of guidance lines. Are you sure the RX is for you? These things obviously bother you enough to mention them. And they can't be taken into consideration because, other than the bypass module, there's no way we can put a dollar value on it.
With 3 kids wouldn't the RX be a little tight as well.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide if we should purchase... Few questions...