RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Joy stick and navigation display problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 07:43 AM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joy stick and navigation display problems

Hi,
I've looked on this forum to see whether anyone else has had this problem. I couldn't find any mention of my problem.

I have a 2013 RX350 AWD, purchased new about 8 months old. Today for the first time, the navigation/audio system joy stick stopped working while I was driving. The display froze and then had just lines of pixels and very small font. Moving the joy stick had no effect. There was also no map displayed. The display was basically "messed up".

Once I got home, I turned of the car and then restarted. The display and joy stick was fine. I never saw this in all 8 months I've had the car. I am just about to schedule my 10,000 service.

Before I contact my dealer, I thought I'd see if anyone on this forum has experienced such an issue and how it was resolved.

I hope its nothing serious. I love my Lexus.

thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by saz25; 06-20-13 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-13, 07:48 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the system crashed, and when you restarted the RX, it rebooted fine.

Never seen/heard of it before. There is a hard drive back there, so maybe the OS running things simply crashed. Definitely report it to the dealer.
Old 06-20-13, 08:17 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Never heard of it before. But unless you're sure something is still amiss, I'd write it down and keep a log of 'odd' incidences if any to show at your next service. If it screws up again and stay's that way, time take it in to see the 'doc'.

The computerized wizardry in the RX is pretty fantastic, if something went off the charts 'once' it's probably akin to a computer crash that doesn't replicate itself again.
Old 06-20-13, 09:20 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have not had it happen to me on the RX but these sorts of things can happen. On my IS350 about once a year the audio system will freeze up, no volume change, no station change, can't turn it off, nothing. Only solution is to pull over, stop the engine and restart, then it's fine. Other owners have had similar experiences in the same vein. Unless you can replicate it at the dealer there isn't much you can do. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it does it again on a more consistent basis.
Old 06-20-13, 12:27 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

On my 2002 RX300, once or twice a year my "blue screen" will not allow me to see any of the temperature info,although the clock & radio portions of the display is fine.

Happened once when it was under warranty, and dealer could not duplicate. Just "one of those things".

Keep an eye on it as others have mentioned, and see if there is any "consistency" as to when it happens (time of day, weather, location, etc).
Old 06-20-13, 04:20 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
On my 2002 RX300, once or twice a year my "blue screen" will not allow me to see any of the temperature info,although the clock & radio portions of the display is fine.

Happened once when it was under warranty, and dealer could not duplicate. Just "one of those things".

Keep an eye on it as others have mentioned, and see if there is any "consistency" as to when it happens (time of day, weather, location, etc).
Wow, I'd forgotten about that. Had the same odd thing happen a couple of times all the years I owned my 1st Gen... Could never recreate it either, nor could the dealer the one time I brought it to their attention. I agree, trying to find a consistent pattern as to when the problem occurs is the only way to help the dealer isolate and resolve the issue.
Old 06-20-13, 05:04 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

as with all electronics, sometimes a reboot is all it needs. dont look too much into this
Old 06-20-13, 05:15 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
as with all electronics, sometimes a reboot is all it needs. dont look too much into this
Exactly! It's a computer after all. My Samsung notes 2 would require a reboot every couple of months. I work in the computer field and it's pretty normal to me.

I remember an old joke about putting Microsoft windows in cars. Back then Ms Windows was unstable and would crash often so the joke goes, if windows was put in cars and the cars stop, the solution would be close the window, reopen the window and everything would be fine.
Old 06-20-13, 09:08 PM
saz25
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hopefully you never need to "reboot" the braking or steering computer system while driving. (grin)

Steve