RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3d Building Navigation Software Update for RX2013?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 06:02 AM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3d Building Navigation Software Update for RX2013?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to inquire if anyone knows whether it is hypothetically possible to re-install navigation software in 2013 RX to get the same features as 2014 IS currently has. I am not particularly interested in 3d buildings (although it would be nice to have them of course), but rather in birds-eye view navigation that I find a waaaaaay more convenient to use then current top-down view Navi that currently comes with 2013 RX. I am planning on getting 2013 RX, but the one thing that really holds me back is that obsolete and inconvenient navigation, which I find inappropriate in a car of such class.

Wondering if it is just possible to get some kind of update, or, say, reinstall navigation software altogether. If anybody has any ideas - please do share them!

Thanks!
Old 07-18-13, 10:39 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, 64 people have looked at this but no responses so far, so I'll take a crack at it.

My short answer would be "no" -- assuming I understand what you want.
My logic behind that is "annual" navigation updates contain the data for the maps (including 3D representations of some parts of some cities) as well as gracenote database updates. The brains behind how that data is shown and the interface is in the firmware/microcode/whatever-you-want-to-call it that is unique to a generation of Nav (2013 RX has Gen 7), but the Lexus Navigation site does not yet show the 2014 models, so perhaps there is a Gen 8 you are referring to with the 2014 IS that has additional capabilities. I've not seen a new IS and don't know.

2013 RX has/had the latest gen Nav as an upgrade to what the 2010-2012 RXs had, and is actually somewhat of an improvement in graphics quality and the interface from what those vehicles had with Gen 6 Nav. I personally do not believe it's possible, or I'll say "realistic" to hedge my bets with some future poster that wants to correct me and void their warranty and spend a lot of money effectively trying to mod their vehicle with a new head unit and/or some hack of firmware. Lexus tests the firmware that runs the Nav as part of the whole vehicle -- they are simply not going to sell you or provide to someone the code from a different vehicle that does not match your VIN. Only Lexus knows to what degree a particular set of their hardware would work with a different set of their firmware. More importantly though, who knows what side effects there could be to a mix-and-match combination given how the Nav is so integrated with other vehicle systems.

My suggestion is if you don't like the Nav on the 2013, wait a little while (speculation on when that is is in other threads) and check out a 2014 RX when you can get your hands on one. There is no telling FOR SURE if an update to the Nav generation may happen, although my money would be on "it's doubtful" given Lexus just did a mid-life update to the RX last year.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-18-13, 11:08 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

So is it possible to get the new 2013 RX nav user interface via an update to a 2012 RX? Because the 2012 interface is pretty bland. 2013 looks so much better.
Old 07-18-13, 11:25 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robartin
So is it possible to get the new 2013 RX nav user interface via an update to a 2012 RX? Because the 2012 interface is pretty bland. 2013 looks so much better.
No. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'll summarize it way down (but other posters don't shoot me on lost detail): 2010-12 RX is Nav Gen 6, 2013 RX is Gen 7. You can't upgrade from one to the other in the same MY vehicle. Additionally, the head unit was completely updated in the 2013 RX which is why other functions like Enform Apps are only available in the 2013s, not previous MYs.
Old 07-18-13, 02:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

In short, no. The best you can do is map and POI updates.
Old 07-19-13, 04:01 AM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

This is really frustrating... having to use that outdated map seems to be the only choice. Thanks everyone for your input!

I absolutely love the new MDX, but if I had to make a choice between savings from hybrid vs paying more for gas yet getting the Navi I like - I would rather go for savings!
Old 07-19-13, 02:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Bottom line, factory frustration (navigation) system is very lacking. I find myself click-click-clicking as I drive, as I try to get the climate control setup and Pandora started (restarted) to get the music going. Yet neither I nor my passenger can actually use the navigation while in motion, making it utterly useless. Trying voice commands is an exercise in futility. I just use my iPhone and tell it what I want. Siri rocks! I wish I wasn't forced to buy the RX with the factory Nav.
Old 07-21-13, 06:04 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Lexus and other auto manufacturers should take a cue from Apple and offer software updates on older models. I can download the newest iOS onto an iPhone that is several generations old. But I can't load 2013 Nav software onto my 2012 RX. This would be a competitive advantage, just as it was for Apple when it introduced the concept.
Old 07-22-13, 09:19 AM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

Well, that's part of their business... making consumers buy the new model just to get the navigation they can use without pain in the neck. I'm sure it's a deliberate decision
Old 07-22-13, 11:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Lexus and other auto manufacturers should take a cue from Apple and offer software updates on older models. I can download the newest iOS onto an iPhone that is several generations old. But I can't load 2013 Nav software onto my 2012 RX. This would be a competitive advantage, just as it was for Apple when it introduced the concept.
They should take a cue from Apple and realize they're not in the business of making navigation systems, they make cars. Let companies such as Garmin and TomTom take care of that side of business. Better yet, have Apple create the unit for them, where we could load whatever apps we like. And keep vehicle functions, such as climate control, away from it. Otherwise, all they make is systems inferior to what aftermarket offers for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-22-13, 02:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
They should take a cue from Apple and realize they're not in the business of making navigation systems, they make cars. Let companies such as Garmin and TomTom take care of that side of business. Better yet, have Apple create the unit for them, where we could load whatever apps we like. And keep vehicle functions, such as climate control, away from it. Otherwise, all they make is systems inferior to what aftermarket offers for a fraction of the price.
If you want to be able to install whatever you want, you do not want Apple providing anything to the equation. Do not care for their closed eco-system where they have to approve everything and anything.

Personally, I would like to see an Android based system or even some other form of Unix which is open for development.

Just keep the HVAC controls separate. This is just for entertainment, GPS, and other such systems. Anyone notice that Ford has committed to putting back the HVAC control ***** and taking it out of their MyTouch systems?
Old 07-22-13, 03:01 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

If you want Android, here's an alternative:
http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php