RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Maintenance for Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 07:40 AM
cn2004
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance for Lexus RX

Looking for some help. My Lexus RX is up for maintenance i have a Toyota dealership really close to my house. Would i get same service as i would get at the Lexus dealership? I wait for the vehicle anyway. Also would Toyota say we can't service the Lexus? Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-18-13, 07:53 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Several posts on this subject. Net is, there are many people that take their Lexus to Toyota for basic maintenance -- they save money, and it works well for them as long as they don't care about loaners and other fancy ammenities. Two caveats: If you have any warranty items, those can only be handled by a Lexus dealership -- Toyota can't get reimbursed. Also, there are some Toyota dealerships that will not perform maintenance on a Lexus -- generally those dealerships that are owned by the same people that have the Lexus dealership "next door". Simply call your Toyota dealership and schedule the appointment with what you want done -- they'll tell you if they can't do the work.
Old 07-18-13, 08:16 AM
cn2004
10th Gear

BertL Thanks for your input. Very Helpful.
Old 04-25-14, 07:34 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it's an old thread, but there is one more difference -
I understand that Toyota service departments cannot add their service records to the car's data on Lexus.com
Of course, you can add it as an owner, but it would not be "official".
Old 04-25-14, 10:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
I understand that Toyota service departments cannot add their service records to the car's data on Lexus.com
Actually, that is not totally correct. There have been reports where members here at CL have gone to Toyota and found later that their Lexus records were indeed updated. Am going to venture a guess, and it is just that -- a guess, that in these instances the shops involved are part of a larger franchise which also owned a Lexus dealership somewhere.
Old 04-26-14, 04:27 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont know about how the system works in the US but over here in the UK, if we take it to any dealer apart from a Lexus dealer for servicing, the trade in value is much lower because Lexus cant sell the car on their lot.
Old 04-26-14, 10:11 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RX330inFL - I had not heard of any instances of Toyota service being added to the Lexus records, but your guess does sound reasonable. I think it would be a good question to ask the Service Manager if you care very much about the Lexus records.

rayaans - Wow! Many US buyers place value on Lexus-only serviced cars, but I have never heard that a US Lexus dealer could not sell a non-dealer serviced car on its lot. I guess there could be such a rule for CPO, though, since it is governed by Lexus.
Old 04-26-14, 10:23 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Dont know about how the system works in the US but over here in the UK, if we take it to any dealer apart from a Lexus dealer for servicing, the trade in value is much lower because Lexus cant sell the car on their lot.
Very interesting. This way Lexus has more control over what's been done to the car.
Ray A.
Old 04-27-14, 10:41 PM
dwlink
Driver

rayaans - Wow! Many US buyers place value on Lexus-only serviced cars, but I have never heard that a US Lexus dealer could not sell a non-dealer serviced car on its lot. I guess there could be such a rule for CPO, though, since it is governed by Lexus.
Its an RX350 - as long as its in good shape and has a decent service history it will sell just fine regardless of where it was serviced. These things are a dime a dozen when it comes to midsize luxury SUVs.
Old 04-28-14, 07:47 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's an official record if you have a receipt. Regardless of who enters it.
Old 04-28-14, 10:00 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No differences from servicing any other brand.
I trade trucks every 3-4 years. Every time I get the new one I tell the salesman they will never see this truck again,
warranty issues accepted.
With a work truck I can't just drop it off at 8:00 & leave it for the day. I need it all day, mostly everyday.
Large Ford dealer locally basically gives you an appointment to drop it off.
I'll get it serviced on a Friday afternoon at a shop close to home. Very minor items I can wait an hour or two.
Keep a detailed log of what you do & you will be OK.
Old 04-28-14, 10:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Perhaps the non-Lexus service = not salable is a misunderstanding of the Certifed Pre Owned rules.

To be sold as a CPO the car must be under 70K miles and have all Lexus replacement parts. The
usual disqualifiers are aftermarket brake pads and non-Lexus windshields. When an otherwise
certifiable car is checked out and would need perfectly functional brakes trashed just to be able to
market it as CPO it is generally left as is and sold (at a lower price) with the option of purchasing the
36 month/100k warrantee.

No reason it can't be sold, just a matter of Certified or not. LOF done in a timely manner anywhere do not
void the warrantee.