RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sirius - If I Don't Renew, Will They Offer Lower Price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 11:46 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius - If I Don't Renew, Will They Offer Lower Price?

I've had Sirius for the past three years and find that I barely use it, but I like the idea of having it for whenever my mood strikes for something a little different. I'm due for renewal and the rate is $14.49 per month / $173.88 per year, which I think is outrageous. I've already paid them close to $500 for the past few years and it kills me that I didn't sign up for the $300 lifetime plan.

I was wondering if I don't pay the renewal fee and get disconnected, will they send me offers at a lower price? Will I be hit with a re-activation fee if I let it go for a few months and decide to renew?

I know I should call and try to negotiate and threaten to cancel, but I tried that last year and it didn't work for me. Thanks for any tips you can share on how to get a lower price.
Old 07-22-13, 11:58 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe.

No contractual guarantee SiriusXM will extend you an offer after-the-fact, but then again, there are plenty of other threads here with examples from people where a better deal was offered after they cancelled. What we can never tell from forums like this is if SiriusXM offers those deals to 100% of the people that cancel, and it appears different sort of deals get offered from time-to-time.

My personal suggestion from reading the litney of responses over the years is to either let your subscription lapse, then call and tell them you let the subscription expire because it was too expensive and you want to know their best price -- or, wait until the day before or the day your subscription expires and do the same thing. You'll find the normal agents will hold tight to delegation they have with prices, but once you have or are going to cancel, you get transferred to another group where the magic occurs. Either way, just be sure your subscription will really expire -- and not renew itself. Default is that there is an autorenewal for the same period as you signed-up for -- if you're unsure, call customer service and tell them you want autorenewal taken off becuase you plan to cancel -- that will at least fix the first problem and may trigger you're being transferred to the "magic department" where a better price for a 1-year renewal is offered. To me, it's all a game. I hate, hate, hate the approach they take -- but they are also a monopoly in the satellite radio business.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-13, 12:00 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes or just cancel. Also they honor prices from XM. I had XM on my audi at promotional rate for 4 or 5 years at $60 for a year. They honored that on Lexus which uses Sirius. No discounts on weather, traffic, etc.
Old 09-01-13, 08:53 PM
Miles42
Driver School Candidate

In my experience they do offer big time discounts if you do not renew.
Old 09-03-13, 05:03 PM
Herride
Driver School Candidate

turned down renewal two times, then got offer for 25 bucks for six months, we took offer.
Old 09-03-13, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

They are so annoying with letter after letter. ^^ 6 months for 25 dollars is what I see.

All I want is the traffic and they dont give promotions for that
Old 09-04-13, 04:58 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Herride
turned down renewal two times, then got offer for 25 bucks for six months, we took offer.
I bought my 2012 RX350 from the local Lexus dealer in April with a "free" SiriusXm package that would expire in 3 months. Annoying offers began to come. I had decided I could do without Sirius, but I called and asked could I just continue with the initial package with their $25 for 5 months offer I had received. Bingo, I'm good until December.
Old 09-04-13, 02:42 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I recieved lots of dicounted prices after mine expired/ I canceled. I still get them. Its crazy how much lower they are willing to go to get you to come back.
Old 09-05-13, 11:22 AM
desmo907
Driver

Mine will expire soon (3 month with new car) and they sent an offer of ~$200 for 1 year. Not for me. I am not in the car that much, so not listen that much and only listen to a few stations anyway. And i get dropouts in my local area roads.

They need a new model to sell by a minute plan and/or packages of stations at a lower cost. I do like the clarity of the sound but not at that price given how little i use it.
Old 09-06-13, 06:09 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
They are so annoying with letter after letter. ^^ 6 months for 25 dollars is what I see.

All I want is the traffic and they dont give promotions for that
I made myself a calendar reminder for a week before my initial 3 month (and subsequent six month extension) expired. Each time I called they have given me the $25 deal (first for 6 months and now this last time for 5 months. Although it's supposed to be the entertainment stations only, I am still getting Nav Traffic.
Old 09-11-13, 06:47 AM
desmo907
Driver

Default XM Select - renew

They sent another letter with offers of ~$30 for 6 months (auto renewal after that at higher rate) or 12 months for ~$100 with auto renewal afterward too. I get lots of dropouts in my local area so she extended the 3 month trial 1 more month,. I may go for the 6 month later but you have to call before it ends to cancel else it renews at higher rate.

I wonder what happens after that. - won't there may a "connection fee" later if I drop then respond to another offer... or do those "offers" sometimes void the connection fee.

Also they refer to the offer as XM Select - I assume that is the full sweet of stations I have now...

She said I had the XM apps - stock, sports, and weather for 1 year from Lexus. However I find the weather map pretty useless (color coding is bad) and cannot really figure out how to use the Sports and Stock yet (guess I need to not moving to add symbols...
Old 09-11-13, 07:11 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Desmo... Suggest you take a look at the Siriusxm.com site for more detail, but IMHO, net is: Yes, there is a connection fee if you let the service lapse, but if they'd do it for free is a discussion point and point of debate I suppose; "Select" is effectively all the channels except for a bunch of the premium ones like Howard Stern, Oprah, and others. There are other packages you could select from, but the website will be your best place to explore the many combinations. Yes, I agree Weather is pretty useless, especially for what it costs after the trial. I also would not pay for the travel apps and stock prices which are all free on my Smartphone and I just don't need that access in my car. I do like and pay for Traffic... But will be even happier in my next RX as Lexus is migrating away from the pay-for service to the free FM-based service many FM stations simulcast across the nation.

Enjoy your service while you have it, and good luck with your future decisions.
Old 11-06-13, 11:57 AM
aumate
Driver School Candidate

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

Bought my car new at the end of March and I thought the trial was only 3 months isn't it? Reason, I ask is because my SAT is still working and I can't remember ever giving SiriusXM my credit card or unless the dealer did but then I've checked my CC statements and see nothing. Don't want to call up and see what's the deal if I don't have to but just don't want to end up having an collection agency come after me. I've been receiving deals from them every other month. ie 6 months for $25.
Old 11-06-13, 02:13 PM
capcap
Rookie

Originally Posted by aumate
Didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

Bought my car new at the end of March and I thought the trial was only 3 months isn't it? Reason, I ask is because my SAT is still working and I can't remember ever giving SiriusXM my credit card or unless the dealer did but then I've checked my CC statements and see nothing. Don't want to call up and see what's the deal if I don't have to but just don't want to end up having an collection agency come after me. I've been receiving deals from them every other month. ie 6 months for $25.
I'd not call them. There are several others who they didn't turn off and no one has had to pay. They cannot make you pay for something you didn't order, so just enjoy it while you can!
Old 11-06-13, 02:58 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I rented a car a few years ago for a 15 day trip and subscribed to Sirius XM for the rental car. I was OK paying for a month but explained it was a rental car and I would not have it after we turned it in. They hounded me for months to renew both by mail and telephone.

Two years ago I purchased a new Kia. I listen to podcasts and music on a thumb drive and had no interest in SiriusXM. Luckily, they never had a phone number associated with the account but I still get mail wanting me to renew. I stopped reading any of them some time a go but the deals varied quite a bit.

My wife drives our new 2014 RX and she does listen to the SiriusXM radio but with no interest in the talk,/sports stuff. I will probably push for a music only subscription in the $10-12 per month range. $25 to $50 for 6 months sounds even better. If we can't get a deal we will just let it lapse.

We have Nav in here RX and we were traveling recently using the Nav system and got an alert there was an accident on our route. We changed to a different way home and encountered significant traffic due to a sporting event. After that, requests for traffic info resulted in an error message that the service was unavailable and to try again later.

I like the idea of the traffic info but I am uncertain now about how well it works and if it is reliable. I'll have to search for more info and reviews on XM Traffic to see if it is worth the cost.

To answer aumate question the SiriusXM trial on a new car is 6 months for the radio and 1 year for traffic and weather. SiriusXM has your contact info through their arrangement with Lexus but till you agree and give them your CC info they have no way to charge you for the service.

Quick Reply: Sirius - If I Don't Renew, Will They Offer Lower Price?