RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 04:08 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone post a link to the installation instructions for these moldings? I just ordered and received a set from Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego, but they did not include instructions. Instead, there was a sticker stating that installation instructions were in the Lexus TIS database. I have to admit I don't know what that is.

An earlier thread with a post from Anita referenced a link to an installation document, but I believe that that link is now dead.

TIA.

P.S. Dealer quoted $395 for complete install - $165 for parts and $230 for labor. Crazy. So I paid $96 for the parts and am now looking to self-install for free...
Old 08-22-15, 04:52 PM
Nanook
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see them installed but I'd bet they use a template..
Old 08-22-15, 05:44 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sakaike
Can anyone post a link to the installation instructions for these moldings? I just ordered and received a set from Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego, but they did not include instructions. Instead, there was a sticker stating that installation instructions were in the Lexus TIS database. I have to admit I don't know what that is.

An earlier thread with a post from Anita referenced a link to an installation document, but I believe that that link is now dead.

TIA.

P.S. Dealer quoted $395 for complete install - $165 for parts and $230 for labor. Crazy. So I paid $96 for the parts and am now looking to self-install for free...
Installation instructions used to be available via Sewell Lexus, but since their shutdown of Internet sales, so has access to their more than useful online files. TIS is the Toyota online system that service uses ... You can buy a couple day pass for $15 to access data there at this location: https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...pmanager/t3/ti. You may also want to contact the dealer on Monday where you purchased your set from and ask for the instructions. They should be able to print them for you.

My attic where my uninstalled moldings are located is likely well over 100-degrees now, so if no one else responds, I'll get the ladder out and climb up there tomorrow to see if I left a printed copy of their installation instructions with the set I bought and elected not to permanently install. If not copyrighted, I'll scan and post them here in the next 24 hours for you. With CL's terms of use, I can't copy and post here, or send to you if copyrighted, so TIS may have to be where you go for detail as a last resort. Instructions as I remember were very detailed with offsets and measurements to place the moldings in the correct positions without much hassle at all.

Last edited by BertL; 08-22-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 06:10 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sakaiki, call me crazy trying to help when I can, but a I just went up in in my attic... Yes, I do have instructions, but unfortunately, they are plastered with Sewell Lexus (who I ordered them from back in 2012) and Toyota with (c) symbols, so I really can't post here or offer to send you via some other method -- especially being a Moderator. Apologies. I do suggest you call your Parts Dept you ordered the moldings from and ask them for the installation procedure... It's 5 pages with plenty of diagrams. If Sewell could provide them to their customers, I don't see why your dealer couldn't provide to you today as well.

Good luck. I'm going to take a shower. I guess I need to install a third attic fan to cool it down up there this time of year!!!
Old 08-22-15, 09:34 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a set being sent from Sewell arriving Tuesday via UPS. Per my request a set of instructions was included. If they have copyright logos I won't be able to post the actual documents

I've installed them on previous Toyota and Lexus vehicles using manufactures instructions. It's not difficult. You usually need some masking tape to create a straight guide line, a ruler to measure up from the door bottom and alcohol to wipe down area to remove wax.

I may even take pictures as I install mine and post them
Old 08-23-15, 07:01 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Bert and FLYCT - Thanks for your posts. I understand the sensitivity around posting of copyrighted material. I will try the dealer for instructions, and if necessary check out that day pass option.

FLYCT - It would still be great if you posted photos of your own install, as it will help other forum members just like all the other great DIY posts here on this forum. I definitely have the ruler, masking tape and alcohol ingredients needed to do this properly. Just need to get a hold of the instructions,

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-15, 03:48 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by sakaike
Bert and FLYCT - Thanks for your posts. I understand the sensitivity around posting of copyrighted material. I will try the dealer for instructions, and if necessary check out that day pass option.

FLYCT - It would still be great if you posted photos of your own install, as it will help other forum members just like all the other great DIY posts here on this forum. I definitely have the ruler, masking tape and alcohol ingredients needed to do this properly. Just need to get a hold of the instructions,

Thanks again.
I just received my shipment from Sewell. The instructions they sent me are not copyrighted. I have attached them.

It states to use 3M Prep Solvent-70 to remove wax. I've used 70% Isopropyl Alcohol:in the past ad it worked fine. Just wipe area where moldings are going and wipe dry.

Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BSM.pdf (151.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 08-25-15, 06:00 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I just received my shipment from Sewell. The instructions they sent me are not copyrighted. I have attached them.

It states to use 3M Prep Solvent-70 to remove wax. I've used 70% Isopropyl Alcohol:in the past ad it worked fine. Just wipe area where moldings are going and wipe dry.

Good Luck.
Awesome post, FLYCT! Thanks for attaching the instructions. Can't wait to install these on my new RX. Will post photos (but it will be a couple of weeks since we're leaving for vacation Saturday ...
Old 08-25-15, 07:51 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I just bought the side door mouldings for my 2015 RX-350 and paid $99, free shipping off of ebay from a Lexus dealer in Tx. The dealer also emailed me the factory instructions. Here's a link to a YouTube video of someone showing the install using these instructions:

The following users liked this post:
alisher (06-16-19)
Old 08-26-15, 09:01 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I just bought the side door mouldings for my 2015 RX-350 and paid $99, free shipping off of ebay from a Lexus dealer in Tx. The dealer also emailed me the factory instructions.
Greg,

Excellent video. That's for finding it and posting it.

I got my BSM from Sewell for $100 with the CL discount. I also had all weather rubber trunk mat and door edge moldings purchased at the same time. The rubber trunk mat was heavy. Shipping to Florida was $19.

Looking at the instructions for the Body Side Moldings it has a conflict listed if installed with door edge guards. I may not install the OEM door edge guards but instead use 3M clear tape designed for that application.
Old 08-27-15, 05:02 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Got my door mouldings and also the roof rack cross rails installed. The roof side rails looked awful weird without anything connecting them so it was either take the side rails off or add cross bars. I had previously waxed the car with Nu-Finish and Dawn dish detergent didn't touch it at all. I then used 91% isopropyl and it completely removed the Nu-Finish with very little effort (no scrubbing). I left a bit more gap at the door edges than the recommended "even with the tangent of where the door edge rounding ends". Perhaps I have an extra 1/16" more back from the edge for each moulding meaning they are a total of 1/8" more apart than the recommended amount in the instructions.

Old 08-27-15, 07:21 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I had previously waxed the car with Nu-Finish......

I left a bit more gap at the door edges than the recommended "even with the tangent of where the door edge rounding ends". Perhaps I have an extra 1/16" more back from the edge for each moulding meaning they are a total of 1/8" more apart than the recommended amount in the instructions ]
Greg,

I really like Nu-Finish. It's easy to apply and remove. It also lasts a long time.

You did an excellent job. In fact your gap us less than the ones in Nanook's picture where the dealer installed them. See my picture of Nanook's BSM gap.

Nanook's picture also looks like the dealer possibly also installed some Clear Tape along the door edge as guards. I ordered some 3M door edge tape from Amazon and I'm going to apply it before I install my body side moldings.

JR
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-15, 04:23 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Check out spoiler and wing king in Detroit. google them:
I strongly recommend sticking with the factory moldings. I had to order a set from WingKing because Sewell didn't have the right color. Big mistake. The moldings were a different shape which I didn't like as much, but I installed them anyways. I discovered that the foam sticky tape was thicker than factory and held the moldings out away from the body more. The result was that "stuff" got behind the moldings and some of them started peeling off.
I have installed at least 4 other sets without issue, so it can't be blamed on bad installation.
Just my experience...........
Old 10-19-15, 09:51 PM
germangs
Rookie

Default Got es350 side moldings instead.

Hi. I recently purchased body side moldings for my 13 RX nebula grey but instead I got body side moldings for es350 mercury grey moldings. It says on the box, right on the label. I am surprised a bit. Looks like the dealership sent me the wrong item. Should The label indicate that this is for RX350?
Old 10-20-15, 01:27 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by germangs
Hi. I recently purchased body side moldings for my 13 RX nebula grey but instead I got body side moldings for es350 mercury grey moldings. It says on the box, right on the label. I am surprised a bit. Looks like the dealership sent me the wrong item. Should The label indicate that this is for RX350?
I think they are the same part for both cars. You should double check with the dealer just in case though. The paint code seems to be the same too (1H9) but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings (merged threads)