RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX rear wiper replacement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 04:56 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anita, thanks for the response. You did exactly what I thought.
Old 04-23-12, 10:02 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Agree with Anita.

Design?I find it quite exceptional: how many cars are capable of hidding this horrible wiper at the back?
response: Lexus and Toyota
Land Rover started doing it over a decade ago and every RR since has featured it.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-23-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 06:40 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Replacement

i was thinking of doingthis over the weekend and tried to do some research online. Couldnt really find anything on how to replace this and the manual doesnt really address this either.

1. Should I replace the entire wiper blade or just the squeegee part?
2. any DIY videos you know of to reference?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-13, 07:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Only the rubber insert gets replaced. It's basically the same as changing the front wipers except you'll have to turn on the rear wiper and turn off the RX before it does a full sweep in order to access it. I'd advise using a towel to put underneath the wiper when you remove the insert and make sure you save the metal strips. You'll need them for the new insert. Replace and you're done. I recently picked up inserts at a Toyota dealer for about $24 for all three. The part numbers are in post 19 in this thread.
Old 04-05-13, 07:53 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This might be of some help also............................... http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...ce_wiper_blade
Old 04-05-13, 09:15 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

Thanks Anita & azinn!
Old 04-05-13, 10:59 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoRX
i was thinking of doingthis over the weekend and tried to do some research online. Couldnt really find anything on how to replace this and the manual doesnt really address this either.

1. Should I replace the entire wiper blade or just the squeegee part?
2. any DIY videos you know of to reference?

Thanks.
It cost $30 from my Lexus dealership for all three inserts and they installed it for free in under 10 minutes. Worth it.
Old 04-05-13, 12:38 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Parts and instructions from Sewell Lexus............. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/3105.html
Old 04-08-13, 06:19 AM
mtlrx350
Driver School Candidate

Got my 32,000 service last Thursday afternoon and was told that my rear wiper needed replacing because it was streaking. They said it's $10 bucks so I said ok.

So a day or so later, I use the rear wiper to clean the window and notice a huge streak near the outer edge. I'm telling myself, the guy must have forgotten to change the wiper. I'll head back today.

So I go and they ask me to pull in. The tech runs the washer/wiper and says that he's not sure why that happened. turns off car with wiper at down position and slides the insert out. Metal wIper clanks on window! Bends the wiper a bit and slides it back in.

Turns on the washer again, same streaks.
Goes to get another insert, slides out "defective" insert, clank on glass once again, puts new one on, same streaks.

I tell him, on my VW you can only change the insert a couple of times before the springs in the arm are too weak to press the wiper to the glass, how do you remove the entire wiper?

He tells me you have to take the spoiler off the car to change the arm, and that they have never done this before. They always change the wiper refill. He looks at me like I'm so **** about my Lexus. He says when the windows are dirty it's not made to clean mud, it's more for rain. I beg to differ, because that's how they got me for the wiper scam in the first place, telling me it was leaving streaks.
Old 08-02-13, 02:11 PM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Rear wiper replacement

I posted this a few weeks back. All you had no answer so I figured it out. I'm a 70+ year old fart Mechanical Engineer. There is a bolt holding the rear wiper in place. Get a long 10MM open end wrench and loosen the bolt. Move the wiper down to a place you can remove the wiper blade. Replace and move the wiper back to upper position, then tighten bolt. Pep Boys sells a 14 inch wiper blade: It doesn't fit. No idea where to get one. I just bent the existing wiper to make sure it wiped the missed area. This wiper should never fail as it is out of the sun 24/7/365. Hope this helps, Homies.
Old 08-02-13, 05:03 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob, I'm sure Lexus or Toyota will have the numbers in their parts dept for the correct blade. Usually when I'm looking for something I just go (for example) to Advance auto-parts web site and search. It will ask for the car, model, year, etc and the right item should appear. Hope that helps.
Originally Posted by Bob91320
I posted this a few weeks back. All you had no answer so I figured it out. I'm a 70+ year old fart Mechanical Engineer. There is a bolt holding the rear wiper in place. Get a long 10MM open end wrench and loosen the bolt. Move the wiper down to a place you can remove the wiper blade. Replace and move the wiper back to upper position, then tighten bolt. Pep Boys sells a 14 inch wiper blade: It doesn't fit. No idea where to get one. I just bent the existing wiper to make sure it wiped the missed area. This wiper should never fail as it is out of the sun 24/7/365. Hope this helps, Homies.
Old 08-02-13, 06:26 PM
Mike95
Driver School Candidate

When you do find the correct wiper blade or insert there is no need for tools to replace it. Just activate the rear wiper from the wiper stalk and turn the ignition off when the wiper is midday on the window. Replace it then turn the switch off and turn the car back on.
Old 08-03-13, 10:36 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike95
When you do find the correct wiper blade or insert there is no need for tools to replace it. Just activate the rear wiper from the wiper stalk and turn the ignition off when the wiper is midday on the window. Replace it then turn the switch off and turn the car back on.
You said what I was thinking.
Old 08-03-13, 11:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

That's pretty much what I said in this thread. I've changed the refills probably half a dozen times on the 450h. The rear is the most difficult out of the three but it can be done without loosening any bolts. Refills are available from Lexus and Toyota dealers. I typically go to Toyota since they'e closer and cheaper. OE only for my RXh. The wiper may not be exposed to the elements all the time but can degrade with use. And it's not something I want to fail when driving in pouring rain or on wet salty roads.
Old 08-05-13, 08:26 AM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Tried the turn off mid-swing. Never was able to get arm high enough to change wiper blade. Got it now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 3RX rear wiper replacement (merged threads)