RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX F sport- Slow throttle response....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 11:29 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX F sport- Slow throttle response....

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is noticing that the throttle response from a standstill seems VERY slow. When I push down the accelerator, it seems to go down a good 3-4 inches before I meet any significant resistance, and even then, I can do a good 2 second count before the engine seems to engage. If I am stopped at a light, and I slightly blip the accelerator, then push the pedal down, it does better. But if I am stopped and floor the gas pedal, nothing happens....at ALL...for at least 2 seconds. it is slightly better when in manual, but the issue is enough for even my wife to comment that it takes off very slowly when you first give it gas.

Anyone else notice this? Or is this something I should take back to the dealer to get adjusted?

Thanks!!

Kevin
Old 08-16-13, 12:44 PM
FishCandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has an F Sport, he said the same thing. You can ask them the dealer to try to tweak it has something to do with the CPU and the cable or mechanism of the pedal throttle engaging the response to give more gas and increase interval Horse Power.
Old 08-16-13, 12:53 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I got a call back from the dealer and they said the delay is normal, due to the drive by wire nature of the pedal/throttle combo. I think that is crap. It's the way they set it. He tried to convince me that it was a good thing by saying that it protects you against unintended acceleration if you "accidentally hit the gas pedal." what a crock. I have driven plenty of drive by wire cars and they are tuned so that there is good responsiveness. You make an "F Sport" and you give it lackadaisical throttle response???? I have read great reviews on aftermarket throttle controllers (apexi, blitz, and others) and will probably go that route. I think it is very dangerous the way they have it. Numerous times I have tried to take left turns where I only have a couple of seconds to go, and the delay in acceleration makes it almost impossible to actually get the car to get moving. I am surprised that a company that makes the IS-F and LFA gives ANY of their cars this throttle response setup. My wife's 2011 honda odyssey is drive by wire as well, and will take my F sport off the line with NO problem.
Old 08-16-13, 01:16 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't the car have a SPORT drive mode ... have you tried it under that setting? It is supposed to make everything more responsive.
Old 08-16-13, 01:38 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I am not aware of any other modes. I will have to look at the owner's manual. I know the hybrid has various modes, but it would be great if I missed something that I could alter myself.
Old 08-16-13, 03:04 PM
MrCelloBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viperdoc,
This is an SUV, not a sports car... ; )
Old 08-16-13, 03:30 PM
FishCandy
Driver School Candidate

You pay for F sport performance, you should get what you pay for...
Old 08-16-13, 03:49 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the car is in ECO mode.

ECO mode basically saves fuel by one way only - reducing throttle response.

Definitely try SPORT mode. Youll be surprised. Dont know about the 350 but the 450h sure pushes you instantly into the seat.

Hit the MENU button on the steering wheel, use the down button for SPORT mode and then hit ENTER.

Also, try scrolling through that MENU between the speedo and see if you have ECO mode unabled. If YES is shaded, deactivate it.

Personally, I think buyers should know what they are buying before buying! You bought an F Sport and didnt know about the SPORT mode? Seriously? F Sport comes alive in Sport mode
Old 08-16-13, 05:20 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about the F-Sport and whether it has ECO/Sport modes or not, but I do know my 2010 RX350 doesn't have a sport mode and it doesn't need it either. Just breathe on the gas pedal and that thing just goes. Who knows what Lexus has changed or why?
Old 08-16-13, 06:05 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

F sports don't have an eco mode that I've seen. Just shows when you are going easy on it. Our F Sport doesn't seem to lag like you describe though. Delivered in 2 of '13
Old 08-17-13, 12:42 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

I think the Eco mode if for the 450h only (not 100% sure thou). I have a 2010 RX 450h and there is definitely a major difference in throttle response when Eco mode is turned off. I was given a 2011 RX350 while mine was in for changing some of the "dealer only" custom settings. That throttle was so freaking sensitive. the slightest touch to it and you where MOVE'N. Totally thing the F Sport should have so different tuning.
Old 08-17-13, 05:31 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

The RX 350 F-Sport has no Eco/Normal/Sport modes like other Lexus vehicles of late. Only has the tranny "S" (Manual) mode.

I agree with viperdoc on the throttle response and behavior. In "D", if you floor it from a standstill or rolling start, the lag is there. If you're light on the pedal, the launch/response is initially better. I've come to use the latter technique then press harder on the accelerator when the best acceleration is required.

Wish there was a way to improve that, but looks like the dealer basically said it's "by design".

Some additional observations is that it has slightly improved over time (we have 10K km) from day 1 and from our trip to the US a few ago, I filled up with 93 octane instead of 87, and I noticed better response/acceleration.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-17-13 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 11:21 AM
aumate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Absolutely hate this. Been honked at a few times for cutting people off when trying to make a right. Didn't really notice this when I test drove our F but my wife did and pushed for the 450H because of it. I overruled and picked the F. Looking at trading the F in for the 450H when the 14 comes out.
Old 08-19-13, 12:49 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Ooooh.... you should really not use anything below 91 octane in any Lexus vehicle. lower octane fuel doesn't burn clean enough. You can mess up our engine. I'm in CA and only have 91 to use. I which I could get 93 out here.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The RX 350 F-Sport has no Eco/Normal/Sport modes like other Lexus vehicles of late. Only has the tranny "S" (Manual) mode.

I agree with viperdoc on the throttle response and behavior. In "D", if you floor it from a standstill or rolling start, the lag is there. If you're light on the pedal, the launch/response is initially better. I've come to use the latter technique then press harder on the accelerator when the best acceleration is required.

Wish there was a way to improve that, but looks like the dealer basically said it's "by design".

Some additional observations is that it has slightly improved over time (we have 10K km) from day 1 and from our trip to the US a few ago, I filled up with 93 octane instead of 87, and I noticed better response/acceleration.
Old 08-19-13, 07:21 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Thanks everyone. I did confirm, as others have, that there is no changeable "modes" in the F sport. I guess they figured that since we have the manual option there didn't need to be one? Again, in everyday driving puttering around town, not a huge problem. But I actually feel nervous trying to turn onto fast moving roads because of the lag. I ordered an Apex throttle controller and have read numerous glowing reviews about it. So I will give it a try and see how it works.

Quick Reply: RX F sport- Slow throttle response....