RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Card Key For the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-13, 09:32 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Card Key For the RX?

Sup CL gang! I wanted to know if any of you guys have the card key for your RX? Also I found that on Sewell that the RX CK is $288(CL Discount) and then a CK for my '10 LX is $191(CL Discount) Does anybody know if I can order the LX and get it programmed to my RX. Out of curiosity I wanted to know how much a CK would cost for my LX if I were to lose it and it turned out to be it is cheaper than the RX CK. So does anybody if the LX card key is compatible with the RX?
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Old 08-17-13, 10:39 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by euroja153
Ill sell you mine if you want.
But I don't think you can re-register a card key that is already registered? At least that is what my dealer told me when I wanted to re-program a key from my moms old '11 LS, they forgot to turn in the second key when they traded it in...
Old 08-18-13, 09:24 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

I'm guessing no one has any insight on this topic
Old 08-18-13, 09:43 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP,

I think it's a complicated topic and not many people have real experience with card keys on Gen 3 RXs I suspect, as Lexus does not provide a card key with a new RX any longer as they did with the Gen 2's. (Even I kept my card key for my RX400h in my lock box along with the spare key I never used the 7-8 years I owned my truck, so I don't remember a lot of facts about it.) In terms of complexity, check out THIS THREAD starting around post #19 or so from March of this year... Dolphin went through a lot of work trying to figure out a bunch of stuff with a card key that took a lot of interaction with Sewell and/or Lexus Parts departments. Not sure if there is anything in that thread that may be of interest to you, but it came to mind when you started talking about a "card key", so may be worth a scan.

My personal suggestion, is call your local Lexus Parts department tomorrow and ask them your questions. Then, you can play the best price game with all your options if you want to from there. Good luck!
Old 08-19-13, 03:23 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Thanks Bert, I did read it from #19 and on and I'll ask about it. It's just about $90 difference so it is not that big of a deal but it's $90 that I spend on the GF or something, you know what I mean. I definitely will call my Lexus dealer and see what is what. Thanks!
Old 09-05-13, 07:00 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
But I don't think you can re-register a card key that is already registered? At least that is what my dealer told me when I wanted to re-program a key from my moms old '11 LS, they forgot to turn in the second key when they traded it in...
That's not really correct. If the old card key is compatible with the new car, it can be converted. However, the car has to be reset and all keys for the car need to be programmed to the new code.

I had a card key for my 2011 CT200h, which I reused for my 2013 RX450h. Recoding it took about 1/2 hour after I showed the tech the instructions that I had found online (probably from this forum).
Old 09-05-13, 12:50 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The key card has to be brand new. The physical key may or may not be cut to our vehicle due to it having grooves only on one side.
Dealer needs to program the card into the vehicle. Alternative is $25 e-bay cable compatible with Toyota Techstream software (questionable version is included).
Old 09-05-13, 09:16 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the card key for my 2010 RX350 and the techstream cable with the latest software to program it myself. The card key for 2010 is $50+ more expensive than the one for 2011-13. There is a serial and model number for the 11+ model but no info for the 2010... I ordered 2011+
It should arrive in the mail next couple days..
Old 09-09-13, 07:03 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The key card has to be brand new.
That's really not true. If the used card is compatible with the RX (the same card key works with the CT200h, HS250h & RX450h) it can be reprogrammed. Before my RX, I had a CT, for which I had a card key. While waiting for delivery, I searched this topic and came across the following answer, from a Lexus Master Tech, in another forum.

Used keys can be programmed. I do it all the time. They just have to reseed the immobilizer, also known as Smart code reset. Only a Lexus Master Tech has access to the erasure utility.

There are also different types of smart keys. Even though they look similar they work in a different frequency. There are numbers printed on the key's circuit board and some of the numbers must match the ones on the original smart key. I dont have one with me otherwise I'd post pics of the numbers. If they aren't the same the smart key cannot be registered to the vehicle.
When I went to pickup my RX, the tech was unable to reprogram the card key. Then I forwarded an email containing the above text to the salesman, who printed it and gave it to the tech. A half hour later, the tech returned with my freshly reprogrammed card key (along with the two key fobs, which also had to be reprogrammed).

The physical key may or may not be cut to our vehicle due to it having grooves only on one side.
This part is absolutely true. Some RX's requires a key with grooves on both sides of the key and others only have a single sided key. My RX requires a dual sided key. Therefore, the physical key from my old CT is still inside my RX key card.
Old 09-11-13, 04:12 PM
dmpus
Rookie

I just got my card key and techstream cable/software in the mail and was able to program it in 15 min.
The card was new, advertised for 2011+ RX which was cheaper than the one advertised for 2010 models, however it worked for my late 2010 (07/10) RX.
The FCC ID code on the card is slightly different from my key fobs, but it still worked.
the techstream firmware I used was v8+ version.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-07-18)
Old 09-12-13, 07:28 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpus
I just got my card key and techstream cable/software in the mail and was able to program it in 15 min.
The card was new, advertised for 2011+ RX which was cheaper than the one advertised for 2010 models, however it worked for my late 2010 (07/10) RX.
The FCC ID code on the card is slightly different from my key fobs, but it still worked.
the techstream firmware I used was v8+ version.
Good job - you make it sound so easy!

I take it you hooked up the cable and used v8 to associate the FCC ID code to the car?

Are you able to do anything else with the techstream software?
Old 09-12-13, 09:15 AM
dmpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Good job - you make it sound so easy!

I take it you hooked up the cable and used v8 to associate the FCC ID code to the car?

Are you able to do anything else with the techstream software?
I bought the cable with the only intention to program my new card key and haven't messed with anything else. I might look into it more later
Old 01-24-15, 07:48 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

NecroBump!
I just changed the battery in key card and it is working great. (2011 Touring RX350). It has excellent range and I can leave it in my wallet permanently. (By range, I mean that it activates the courtesy lighting as you approach.)
I had a horrible time attempting to find out which battery it actually took because I didn't have it with me in the store and Google was a colossal fail. So, let the record show that the 2011 LEXUS RX350 SMART KEY CARD takes a CR2412 battery.
Now, unfortunately, that is a more obscure battery so you might not find it in the selection of batteries at your nearest store and/or it may cost more.
Since I could not find out that it took a CR2412 battery, I ended up with a cheaper and more easily available (also 3-volt) CR2016 battery. It is a whopping 0.4mm thicker, but it still fits in the card and is working fine, so you can all mail me a crisp $5 bill for saving you so much cash.

One final piece of relevant info... I found another thread mentioning that there is no physical, metal key with the key card. This is not true (in my case). There is a tiny key that can be accessed from the back of the card. Look at about 5-o'clock from the logo and turn the card to the back. Push on the tiny metal tab/button and pick the key out. It only inserts one way, but it works in the driver's door just fine.

Lexus RX 350 third generation 2011 change battery smart key proximity card. credit card key changing battery 2412 CR2412 CR-2412.
Old 01-29-15, 09:24 AM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Default RX Card Key

Ok, I had a new RX 2010 and it came with the Card Key. Loved it, I just don't carry keys any more. My residences have push button entry.

When I was buying a RX 2015, I was advised by sales that the key card was no longer available. After some haggling, they came back to say that it indeed was available. It was a local Lexus install.

I now have a fully functional Card Key, just like the RX 2010. However, they have never been able to supply the little key that should come with the Card Key. My local Ontario dealer claims that the key cannot be cut. I paid about $800 for the install. They have offered to refund the cost of supplying and cutting the key.

I am in Florida right now and will go over, perhaps today, to my local dealer for their comments. The 2015 manual describes the Card Key so not exactly a secret.

Also, my Ontario Lexus dealer supplies my battery needs for Fob's, etc, free of charge. Since I now have a Card Key with no key, I can now be locked out of the RX due to a dead battery. In response to my suggestion that Lexus just come and drive me home, they gave me a whole sheet of spare Key Card batteries. In addition to the Card Key in my wallet, I now have a spare battery in my wallet.

Comments invited on a RX 2015 with a working Card Key.

Thanks
Old 01-29-15, 10:43 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I can see the attraction but I don't have a problem with the remote in my pocket, prefer that to a fatter wallet all the time.

There have been several times when we are approaching our RX with arms full and I have been able to get to the remote, unlock the RX and open the rear door. Till there is a Google Now command, "OK Google, Open Pod Bay Doors", I'll stick with the Key Fob. :-)

Quick Reply: Card Key For the RX?