RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 09:49 AM
Ranga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice that there are a number of posts on the timing chain cover oil leaks, and this has me worried. I have a 2013 with about 78000miles and the other day I noticed a small drop of oil on the garage floor under the engine. Can anyone tell me which year models have this issue ?
Thanks
Old 05-20-20, 10:41 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranga
I notice that there are a number of posts on the timing chain cover oil leaks, and this has me worried. I have a 2013 with about 78000miles and the other day I noticed a small drop of oil on the garage floor under the engine. Can anyone tell me which year models have this issue ?
Thanks
I would humbly suggest to trace your leak. Drive the vehicle and park it over a cardboard. The sources of leak are many and it may not be engine oil. If you focus on one potential source [which can be right and then it may not be], your effort can be wasted. Follow the evidence and it will cut the chaff.

Salim
Old 05-20-20, 05:44 PM
Ranga
Driver School Candidate

Salim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did put the cardboard and found that the leak was on the drivers side portion of the engine maybe about 10" from inside the tire. The oil was dark in color and did not look like engine oil .
The following users liked this post:
hfahmy (10-30-23)
Old 05-20-20, 06:36 PM
cookie4u
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranga
Salim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did put the cardboard and found that the leak was on the drivers side portion of the engine maybe about 10" from inside the tire. The oil was dark in color and did not look like engine oil .

Assuming it's engine oil (which you don't think it is) If it's on the driver's side, it's not the timing cover. The cover that leaks in on the passenger side.

I have a 2013 that was bought at the end of May 2019. After a routine alignment at the dealer, they told me the timing cover was leaking. 5K to pull the engine and fix. I said no thanks. I cleaned up the surface oil (not much) and applied some RTV to the problem area where the cover mates to the block and also applied a spray sealant over the entire general area. So far so good.

I believe Toyota/Lexus had issues on the 2GR FE engine with the timing cover RTV sealant application on the assembly line. Not enough factory RTV was applied in one area and the cover eventually develops a leak in that specific area. Supposedly it was fixed.
Old 05-21-20, 12:13 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

The timing cover is eliminated as that would drip on the passenger side.

I can slide under the RX and if you are not not the heavy side, most likely you can too. If not get those 12"x12"x1" pavers and ride the front wheels over them. This would give you additional clearance. Examine with a light source. Trace all the way up and if needed wipe clean and put some talcum powder on the block to see the trace.

The fresh oil is light golden color, but once exposed to dirt and grime, it becomes dark, deep brown or even black. Surface tension in oil, can make it travel on the engine block to the lowest point and the air movement (driving) pushes the oil back.

Another way to figure what is leaking is to monitor the level and see which is dropping [cant do it for 1 drip a week].

While filling, there may have been a spill which could have made its way down.

All Lexus I have owned develop a valve cover leak around 100K miles.

Salim
Old 05-25-20, 05:33 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cookie4u
. I cleaned up the surface oil (not much) and applied some RTV to the problem area where the cover mates to the block and also applied a spray sealant over the entire general area. So far so good.
Curious which rtv did you use, permatex ultra black oil resistant? I used that for GM SUV oil pans. So many rtv types to choose from. I have a leak in the classic position where the head and block and timing cover meet on the firewall side (as opposed to the radiator side).
Old 05-25-20, 05:53 PM
cookie4u
Rookie

Originally Posted by afpj
Curious which rtv did you use, permatex ultra black oil resistant? I used that for GM SUV oil pans. So many rtv types to choose from. I have a leak in the classic position where the head and block and timing cover meet on the firewall side (as opposed to the radiator side).
I used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV on the portion of the cover that appeared to be weeping and coated the entire cover area with 3 coats of Permatex spray sealant.

I haven’t seen any oil thus far.
mnalep (06-29-23)
Old 06-02-20, 05:51 PM
sbrown329
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope that worked!
Old 06-07-20, 09:06 PM
Day
8th Gear

Question

Hi cookie4u,
Thank you so much for your post.
I have a 2008 Black on Black GS350 with 109,450 miles on it. I went to get an oil changed last week and I was told also that my timing cover gasket was leaking. May I mention my warranty expired in March. Smh so I came here and searched and I read your post about spraying the RTV. My friend said he would do it for me but he doesn't how and where to spray. I wanted to know where and how you sprayed yours so I can get mine done as well?
Old 06-08-20, 10:21 AM
cookie4u
Rookie

Originally Posted by Day
Hi cookie4u,
Thank you so much for your post.
I have a 2008 Black on Black GS350 with 109,450 miles on it. I went to get an oil changed last week and I was told also that my timing cover gasket was leaking. May I mention my warranty expired in March. Smh so I came here and searched and I read your post about spraying the RTV. My friend said he would do it for me but he doesn't how and where to spray. I wanted to know where and how you sprayed yours so I can get mine done as well?

This is from Toyota Nation. Same engine, 2GR-FE, on a Highlander. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads.../post-11808906

I have not noticed any oil on the floor before or after the repair. I just couldn't see spending the money to have the engine pulled for a oil weep that may not ever get any worse so I opted to try this.

I cleaned off the surface oil with brake cleaner then applied a bead of RTV best as I could along the line where the block meets the cover, then over sprayed the area with Permatex spray sealant.

I look at the area when I do oil changes. So far so good.

Last edited by cookie4u; 06-08-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 11:17 AM
Day
8th Gear

Hi cookie4u,
I gave him the info. He wanted to know is it difficult to reach? He said in some cars it can be.
Old 06-08-20, 11:24 AM
cookie4u
Rookie

Not bad. Jack up the front and the area is on the passenger side behind the wheel. It's easiest to take off the front right wheel and I think there was a guard in the splash well that can come off.

Last edited by cookie4u; 06-08-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 12:39 PM
Day
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cookie4u
Not bad. Jack up the front and the area is on the passenger side behind the wheel. It's easiest to take off the front right wheel and I think there was a guard in the splash well that can come off.
So when you take the guard off it's located behind it, you clean it and then spray it down with the RTV?
Old 06-11-20, 06:45 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

After application of the RTV

Before RTV but after cleaning with brake cleaner. Notice a section missing a bead of Lexus RTV
Did similar as cookie4u, although I use the ultra black RTV that I had on hand. I massage it into the seam. Did not have the RTV spray but I thought I'd just try it with the paste and seems to be holding.
Clutchless (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 11:56 AM
Day
8th Gear

Originally Posted by afpj

After application of the RTV

Before RTV but after cleaning with brake cleaner. Notice a section missing a bead of Lexus RTV
Did similar as cookie4u, although I use the ultra black RTV that I had on hand. I massage it into the seam. Did not have the RTV spray but I thought I'd just try it with the paste and seems to be holding.
Thank you so much for the info and pictures. I want to have as much info as possible when my friend does mine so there want be any surprises. So did you remove the Lexus bead before you cleaned it with the brake cleaner?
mnalep (06-29-23)

Quick Reply: Timing cover leak