RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 08:40 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

No, didn't remove any more Lexus RTV...the remaining seemed intact. I did find that one bolt right at that area could turn just a hair where the other bolts didn't budge.
Old 06-15-20, 06:56 AM
lili43
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
No, didn't remove any more Lexus RTV...the remaining seemed intact. I did find that one bolt right at that area could turn just a hair where the other bolts didn't budge.
This should be the first thing. I could not turn any bolts but one could turn a 1/4 rotation. I have not seen seep since doing this.

I would recommend everyone try tightening the bolts first.
Old 06-19-20, 09:42 AM
Day
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afpj
Hi Guys,

I would like to thank you all so much for all the info and pictures. I am truly grateful for this information.
I've been meaning to reply sooner but I kept forgetting. The world is a little strange right now.
So before I start this repair adventure I want to make sure I have this right.
Have my friend do the following, he's very detail oriented by the way:
Jack up the front of my car and remove the passenger side tire. The leak is located behind the tire. It may be a cover on it. Clean it with brake cleaner. Tighten the bolts some may or may not move. Spray a bead of the RTV spray where the block meets the cover then spray the area with Permatex spray sealant.
Put the tire back on and be happy my leak is now fixed. Lol
Is there anything else you can think of that needs to be done?
Old 06-20-20, 04:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

The first layer of RTV is not a spray, but RTV from a tube. Then it is topped with the spray.

He wrote: I cleaned off the surface oil with brake cleaner then applied a bead of RTV best as I could along the line where the block meets the cover, then over-sprayed the area with Permatex spray sealant.
Old 06-22-20, 04:56 PM
Day
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The first layer of RTV is not a spray, but RTV from a tube. Then it is topped with the spray.

He wrote: I cleaned off the surface oil with brake cleaner then applied a bead of RTV best as I could along the line where the block meets the cover, then over-sprayed the area with Permatex spray sealant.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I totally missed that part. That's why I did a recap to make sure I had all the details!
Also I was wondering...how long does it take to complete this repair?
Old 06-23-20, 06:52 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, figure about half an hour to take off the wheel after jacking it up then that little cover piece to access that section more easily. Spray it with brake cleaner , compressed air to completely dry it, apply bead of RTV to that area where the block, the head, and the timing cover meet. I used my finger to work the RTV into the intersection area. That's why on my pictures it looks kind of messy and spread out , not a clean bead. Then I waited an hour before checking to see if the bolts are tight. Then waited 24 hours before starting the engine.Your setup time may be different depending on which RTV you use.
Old 08-31-20, 05:36 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover oil leak

I have a 2013 Lexus RX 350. During service at 80k miles and then at 90k miles, I was told that there is oil seepage from the timing cover. They said for now, we do not need to do anything but keep an eye on oil leak. If problem gets worse, it will need to be fixed and will cost 4000-4500$. I have not seen oil leak in my garage or driveway (may be because there is a drip pan underneath catching that oil). Oil levels did not go low in last 1 year (over 10000 miles) so i guess leak should be very small.

I am now thinking whether to keep the car or trade it in. Is it possible that this leak is small and will stay as it is for next 3-4 years?
Old 08-31-20, 06:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

Who is telling you this information? Is it a greedy/unscrupulous dealership? If so, I would get a second opinion from a well-respected indie shop familiar with Lexus/Toyota vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
allendsup2 (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 07:14 AM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Who is telling you this information? Is it a greedy/unscrupulous dealership? If so, I would get a second opinion from a well-respected indie shop familiar with Lexus/Toyota vehicles.
They have not asked me to do repair yet so not sure if they are greedy here or not. They said if you lose too much oil within service intervals then we will need to fix it. I think you are right though. I should get a second opinion.
Old 08-31-20, 08:37 AM
Clutchless

The timing cover leak is really more of a seep and rarely if ever leads to measurable oil loss. Usually, it just makes the lower part of the timing cover and nearby stuff dirty from oil seepage. I have never heard of anyone having significant oil loss from the timing cover.
Considering the age of our vehicles, their value etc, vs the cost of this repair knowing that it is not critical for keeping the car running, why fix it?

You can try to see the leak evidence yourself by looking through the passenger side front wheel well gap. Get a flashlight and try turning your tires first one way, then the other to get the best view. Someone recently posted photos of it, but I am not sure which forum I saw them on, here or the Sienna forum elsewhere.
If it is dirty, showing a leak, you can clean it up and try sealing the timing cover area with some RTV make a gasket. Someone here has done that and you could search for their post. Considering the small level of the seepage, that may just work enough to help you stop the leak, as opposed the having a shop remove your engine to get at the timing cover for half the value of your car.
Old 08-31-20, 08:46 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The timing cover leak is really more of a seep and rarely if ever leads to measurable oil loss. Usually, it just makes the lower part of the timing cover and nearby stuff dirty from oil seepage. I have never heard of anyone having significant oil loss from the timing cover.
Considering the age of our vehicles, their value etc, vs the cost of this repair knowing that it is not critical for keeping the car running, why fix it?

You can try to see the leak evidence yourself by looking through the passenger side front wheel well gap. Get a flashlight and try turning your tires first one way, then the other to get the best view. Someone recently posted photos of it, but I am not sure which forum I saw them on, here or the Sienna forum elsewhere.
If it is dirty, showing a leak, you can clean it up and try sealing the timing cover area with some RTV make a gasket. Someone here has done that and you could search for their post. Considering the small level of the seepage, that may just work enough to help you stop the leak, as opposed the having a shop remove your engine to get at the timing cover for half the value of your car.
Had no idea you had to remove the engine to get to the timing cover.
Old 08-31-20, 01:59 PM
Clutchless

That is why the repair costs $3000 - $4000. And also why some have attempted to seal the exterior edge with RTV gasket maker or other high temp sealant.
Old 09-01-20, 07:57 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Definitely a design flaw....
Old 09-01-20, 09:58 AM
WHLex4
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would an oil stop leak additive help?
Old 09-01-20, 10:01 AM
RX in NC
Racer

^^ That may introduce a whole new set of problems. I would not do it.

Quick Reply: Timing cover leak