RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is Lexus Service in decline or are my expectations too high?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 03:32 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'll get flamed but I'll go ahead. I tend to notice a lot of owners just expect their vehicle to be perfect, everything perfectly aligned, working smoothly, and anything that breaks that idea upsets them greatly. Spending $50,000 on a vehicle doesn't mean it will be without flaws, that's just marketing hooey, if you believe differently you are deluding yourself. I've got folding mirrors but haven't checked to see if they are scraping, if I did see that I'd probably file whatever nub or high point is there and move on. Anytime you get work done on the vehicle by others opens the possibility of further cosmetic, or other, damage. I go by the motto, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

I never let them clean my vehicle, that's where a lot of paint damage occurs. Do it yourself for a few bucks and 1/2 hour of work and it will look 100% better.

That said, the times I've taken both of my Lexus' in for service the experience has always been positive. But I take it in early which I believe gets you a better experience rather than rolling in at noontime or afternoon. I let them do the work necessary, but I'm responsible for the how the vehicle looks.
I don't find anything wrong with your logic. But where many issues I've seen and experienced come from techs at a variety of auto manufacturers who do sloppy work and damage the car and try and say nothing, cover it up, or simply not care. Such as my 2 day old GS F that they never checked the alignment on durning PDI. When it was out on the rack they must have not lowered the arms that go under the rocker panel and it gouged my plastic running board. It was a simple case of the tech probably kicking things around and being careless. But it seems fewer and fewer people these days also take pride in their work. Instead they only see it as a paycheck with little more regard than that. But I've also had some very good experiences and I try and always recreate those by whatever variables are in my control.
Old 09-23-13, 08:52 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'll get flamed but I'll go ahead. I tend to notice a lot of owners just expect their vehicle to be perfect, everything perfectly aligned, working smoothly, and anything that breaks that idea upsets them greatly. Spending $50,000 on a vehicle doesn't mean it will be without flaws, that's just marketing hooey, if you believe differently you are deluding yourself. I've got folding mirrors but haven't checked to see if they are scraping, if I did see that I'd probably file whatever nub or high point is there and move on. Anytime you get work done on the vehicle by others opens the possibility of further cosmetic, or other, damage. I go by the motto, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'...
I belive one could expect good initial quality after spending 50K, as well as quality care in a "Lexus Premium Dealership". At least I was expecting that when I bought my RX and paid $500 for remote start only to find out 6 months later that the module was not installed properly, and 1.5 years later that ther module installed was not even a Lexus part but aftermarket $50 Audiovox part.
Old 09-24-13, 07:10 AM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The Lexus part of m1964's note is almost irrelevant. If the item sold was not as represented, and if it was installed incorrectly, the seller is in breach of contract, and that cannot be excused on the grounds that it's an inexpensive vehicle any more than it becomes an aggravated breach because the vehicle was "luxury." It's a little hard to deal with these issues a year and a half after the incident, but no manufacturer will tolerate this kind of funny business on the part if its dealers.

Last edited by tfischer; 09-24-13 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 08:05 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my 4th Lexus and for me it all depends your service advisor.

Had good experiences with Lexus of Bellevue WA and more recently Bell Lexus in Scottsdale AZ.

My current service advisor, a lady, is very sharp knows the product and her job backwards, despite only being in the position a few months. Some complain that Lexus service is overpriced, for me with the right dealer and advisor it represents an excellent value.

Machog
Old 09-24-13, 08:37 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
I'm on my 4th Lexus and for me it all depends your service advisor.

Had good experiences with Lexus of Bellevue WA and more recently Bell Lexus in Scottsdale AZ.

My current service advisor, a lady, is very sharp knows the product and her job backwards, despite only being in the position a few months. Some complain that Lexus service is overpriced, for me with the right dealer and advisor it represents an excellent value.

Machog
Agree completely. It's a relationship just like any other relationship. What energy are you bringing to the table? Expectations is subjective and an isolated incident doesn't deserve a rant.

The validity of this thread dropped with the words "I am very **** and I admit it". Please don't take my comment personal as it's not meant to be. But yeah, way too picky.

I don't expect a full detail when I pick my car up from the dealership and if it was filthy with grease and hand prints all over it, I would have pointed it out to them. i've never heard of a Lexus dealership that wouldn't agree to re-wash it or provide a coupon to a local car wash if asked.

Not sure about the unnecessary service complaint, problem started 3 months ago so the 1400 miles on the vehicle is irrelevant. If the problem started 3 months ago, then there was a period of time where there was no problem and you are coming up on the service due date (6 month/5000 miles), so the 1400 miles on the vehicle is insignificant) They are offering you to save you the inconvenience of returning within the next 1-3 months when they know they are the only dealer within 400 miles. And of course the option to decline is always there.

Radio station? Did they change your pre-sets? Sounds like it was in FM2 and it took two presses of a buton to get back to FM1.

Lighten up on them a bit. Everyone has the right to rant but it's annoying when people rant and don't give the subject of the rant a chance to respond or correct the instance where you felt 'wronged' Nothing in the thread suggest they would have told you to kick rocks had you spoken to them about your concerns.
Old 09-24-13, 09:59 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Fair enough. And I don't take your comments personally so no worries. I put myself out there and asked for opinions, so I got some and will accept them in the spirit intended.

I am ****, no question. I just didn't think my expectations that the vehicle be returned in as good of condition as it was when dropped off was particularly demanding. I really wasn't expecting a full detail either. I also didn't notice the water spots and grease when I picked it up. Lesson learned, inspect the vehicle before driving away with it. By the way, the water spots will not come off with a simple hand wash, so the net result wasn't simply a bad wash job.

Since I didn't see it until I headed home (the spots on the rear window were pretty visible when the sun hit it). So I have not given them a chance to make it right, thus your point is well made.

The unnecessary service complaint was really just Lexus trying to make it right and I understand that. We really didn't know it wouldn't correct anything until we tried it. I don't mean to criticize the dealer or Lexus for bending over backwards to take care of my concern. I did suggest all along the process that I thought replacement was overkill and I didn't intend to cause that much trouble, but I stopped short of declining their recommended solution. Yes, I should have just trusted my gut on that one, but I didn't want to presume I know more about the car than Lexus.

The radio was on a menu I had not seen before so it took me a couple moments to figure it out. I have some presets I like so I don't often jump around the other menus. I know you are probably thinking I need to know my vehicle better and they just gave me a free lesson - no extra charge.

I do think you are correct in that they would have done whatever it takes if I had turned right around and discussed it with them. My past experience with my 04 RX was very positive. So I will take your point to heart, no talking smack unless they were offered the opportunity to remedy the issue(s).
Old 09-25-13, 06:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Doug, I think your Lexus dealer was doing what they thought would remedy the problem by replacing the side view mirror. A little excessive IMO but it's done. I've had my dealer offer to do the same for other parts. I accept or deny it depending on how I feel. As far as the grease marks, that is not what we all have come to expect. Let's face it, we are spoiled. Should not have happened. Water spots, well I don't let anyone else wash my RXh for that reason. And I expect the radio and seat position to change. That is definitely a non-issue.

Have a discussion with the service manager and give them the opportunity to correct the situation, if not now then for the future. I assume you've been satisfied with them prior to this. Most will be interested in retaining you as a customer.

And this concludes your therapy session
Old 09-25-13, 08:14 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I am not not overly impressed with my Lexus dealer's service either. They tried to charge me for the first "complimentary"service on my RX,they had next to nothing in the morning except they baked some awful donuts themselves.
I just had an oil change on my Son's '04 Camry,and the Toyota Dealer had great Donuts,good Coffee, free car wash. An oil change,and tire rotation ran me 35 bucks. I was glad to find out they service Lexus vehicles.
Old 09-25-13, 08:24 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to admit it, but obviously Lexus dealerships and their service varies tremendously. I consider myself lucky. Not only is mine honest, but they do many many things free of charge.
Old 09-26-13, 06:15 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I absolutely never go to my Lexus dealer, I DIY just about everything. And for those things that I can't, I'll take it to my uncle who's a mechanic.

He however doesn't have an alignment shop, so for that I have to take it elsewhere. A few months ago I found was on my local lexus dealer's website and saw a coupon for an alignment at only $89. Great deal, as the other shops near me charge around $70 and never get it right.

I head off to the Lexus dealer, and mind you my RX hasn't seen the service side of Lexus since around 2006. If I ever go to the dealer, it's to buy parts. The experience was phenomenal, the usual free food and drinks. But, then the SA calls me up and let's me know the car is done. I get my credit card out, get ready to pay and he say's "don't worry about it, it's on us this time". I was thrilled, I haven't paid a single penny to this dealer ever and they just did a free alignment and car wash.

Next time I'm shopping for another Lexus, I know where I'll be heading. I still may not service my cars there, well unless I win the lottery...
Old 09-27-13, 01:29 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Hmmmmmm? I find that a friendly conversation with the dealership or SA or Manager solves 99.9% of the problems (perceived or real). Whether a dealership is the only one in 400 miles or one of many they all benefit from giving their customers good service. The key.....'friendly' conversation. If one goes in as an irate screamer (or whatever) that does not accomplish anything. I've owned Toyota's and now a Lexus and I've been treated royally. Of course I know the 'Master Tech' at the Lexus dealer so maybe.................
Old 09-28-13, 05:53 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes, just to be clear, I have been happy with the dealer's service in the past. They always treat us royally and frankly that treatment is one of many reasons I am a repeat lexus buyer. Yes, I think we are a bit spoiled and have come to expect a certain behavior from them.

This was our first service with them on our most recent RX and I will share my disappointment regarding the car wash and the spots and let them see if they can remove the spots.

This dealer has been undergoing a very lengthy multi-year remodel to separate the Lexus sales and service from the Toyota sales and service. Now we take our cars around behind the dealership and park out under an awning for service. Even the service people are different than those I had worked with and developed a relationship with in the past. So I guess I should expect some retraining of the "new" service advisor to my likes, dislikes and expectations. It just feels like an entirely new service "experience."

I think the fact that we are out behind the building and just under an awning now rather than pulling into the front of the building into a nice warm service counter feels like they have cheapened the experience. I am not complaining as that is really not a big deal, it just feels like a new dealership and we do hate to have our cheese moved. Our winters can be very cold here (the highest daytime temp for the three weeks prior to our RX purchase was 20 degrees) so it does seem like an odd design choice.

As to seats and mirrors being altered, yes I would expect that too. I want them to be safe when moving the car so I have no concern whatsoever there. One press of the button and everything except the rear-view mirror is back to my preferred position anyway.

Doug