RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX350 Hard Steering/Truck Like Drive 28K miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 05:27 PM
julievp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 RX350 Hard Steering/Truck Like Drive 28K miles

I purchased a Certified 2012 Rx350 with approximately 28K miles.

I absolutely hate this vehicle! My previous Lexus was a sedan, I know a very different animal, but a great car, with a great Lexus drive that I just loved..

My Rx350 has very tight hard steering, more so to the left than the right. The car takes bumps terribly. There is no "plushness"' to this drive at all. As I tell my friends, there is no "Lexus" in this Lexus.

After spending so much money on this vehicle, I am ready to sell it at a considerable loss. The car has 18" Michelins, and I keep the pressure at 32PSI. It is a fairly tolerable , but nothing special drive at straight highway speeds, but when driving slowly, and slowly with turns with neighborhood driving it is far from a pleasant "Lexus" drive. I have taken it back to service asking them to check the Electronic Power Steering. I was told the Tork is 4lbs heavier than a vehicle it was compared to, but within normal Lexus specs! Any thought on how to make this ride better, particularly the hard steering, at slower speeds would be very appreciated. If I can't find an answer it's off to CarMax and a big loss.

Thank you in advance,
Julie
Old 09-24-13, 07:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How was your test drive? ( before you purchased the RX 350).
Get a loaner for comparison and have a service tech drive with you.

if you're still not satisfied, trade it.
All these can be done in 2 days. There's no point to waste more time and money.
Old 09-25-13, 08:02 AM
julievp
Driver School Candidate

Default Hard Steering/Truck Like Drive

Originally Posted by markrivers
How was your test drive? ( before you purchased the RX 350).
Get a loaner for comparison and have a service tech drive with you.

if you're still not satisfied, trade it.
All these can be done in 2 days. There's no point to waste more time and money.
I test drove it only at highway speed, up and down the major route to the dealership. I made a big mistake in not test driving it at low "neighborhood" type driving speeds with turns.

The dealership agrees the steering is hard and drive heavy, , but says "all cars are different, new or pre-owned" I asked them to take it back within days, but they would not. I have driven loaners, and other 2012's that do not drive like this. I took the car to a master mechanic who said "he could not stand to drive the car for more than 30 minutes, to take it back,"

This vehicle was made in Japan, all others I have since driven have been made in Canada, don't know if that makes any difference?

What in the power steering could be causing this drive problem at slow speeds? The front springs on this vehicle also look slightly different than on the other RXs I have since driven The vehicle is also not as stable feeling on the road as others I have since driven. The dealer says it is just the way this car is, nothing wrong with it.

If I wanted to drive a truck, I could have purchased one. What kind of drive should I expect from a 2012 RX, and any help as to why the steering is so tough at slow speeds would be appreciated.

I must add there are times when the car drives relatively well, typically after you have driven for a period of time at high speeds, and then slow down to slower speeds, as if something had to take time to kick in.

I look forward to your responses.

Old 09-25-13, 08:25 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might look into the tires themselves needing a change. The car also uses hydraulic steering and not magnetic. And this also will feel markedly different from the sedans. You might check the power steering fluid levels. Otherwise, being a japan vehicle or Canadian, I would think the springs and other various parts would be the same. But you are right, there is a noticeable difference between vehicle types.
Old 09-25-13, 11:10 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by julievp
I test drove it only at highway speed, up and down the major route to the dealership. I made a big mistake in not test driving it at low "neighborhood" type driving speeds with turns.

The dealership agrees the steering is hard and drive heavy, , but says "all cars are different, new or pre-owned" I asked them to take it back within days, but they would not. I have driven loaners, and other 2012's that do not drive like this. I took the car to a master mechanic who said "he could not stand to drive the car for more than 30 minutes, to take it back,"

This vehicle was made in Japan, all others I have since driven have been made in Canada, don't know if that makes any difference?

What in the power steering could be causing this drive problem at slow speeds? The front springs on this vehicle also look slightly different than on the other RXs I have since driven The vehicle is also not as stable feeling on the road as others I have since driven. The dealer says it is just the way this car is, nothing wrong with it.

If I wanted to drive a truck, I could have purchased one. What kind of drive should I expect from a 2012 RX, and any help as to why the steering is so tough at slow speeds would be appreciated.

I must add there are times when the car drives relatively well, typically after you have driven for a period of time at high speeds, and then slow down to slower speeds, as if something had to take time to kick in.

I look forward to your responses.

take it to a different Lexus service department.
Don't tell them what the original dealer told you.
considering you bought a CPO, this is unacceptable.

Have everything on paper. It will help you if the "problem" is documented.
The mechanic who told you to take it back ( his professional opinion puts a lot of weight too)

Remember, dealership/stealership.. they simply don't want to go the trouble of "selling" the RX again and trading you another.

keep us posted
Old 09-25-13, 01:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at your alignment and your tires. My RX got real noisy and drove terribly at about 30k miles, took it in and dealer said car was out of alignment and tires were cupped and needed replacement. I was skeptical but after an alignment and a new set of tires from Discount Tire it was back to a normal quiet ride. I suspect your tires are shot even though they may look ok.
Old 09-25-13, 03:26 PM
bilguun
Driver School Candidate

32psi bit high for on road. I personally drive on 20psi on 2010 rx and 2013 lx and if that does not help trade for another one. Btw new shocks are firmly bit harder when its newer and as the time goes it gets softer and smoother. However trade for another. Maybe factory defect.
Old 09-25-13, 03:52 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bilguun
32psi bit high for on road. I personally drive on 20psi on 2010 rx and 2013 lx and if that does not help trade for another one. Btw new shocks are firmly bit harder when its newer and as the time goes it gets softer and smoother. However trade for another. Maybe factory defect.
20 psi is way too low. Bump that up ASAP. Running the PSI that low is going to heat up the tire, and if you get it hot enough it will lead to tire failure. Not to mention the terrible handling and fuel economy.
Old 09-25-13, 04:23 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bilguun
20 PSI? are you serious? OR are you High?
How long have you been doing this?
and you're OK with the TPMS light ON everytime you drive?

i don't know any Lexus/Toyota Service tech who will readjust the sensor to as low as 20.

and on a different note, make sure your insurance coverage is 500,000/1,000,000
Old 09-25-13, 04:35 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I had the tires set at 22 PSI at delivery. Figured it being a Lexus they had checked everything. After a day of driving, I finally put a pressure gauge on and sure enough. Set the tires back up at 34-5 PSI cold and economy went up a gallon and the car no longer felt like it was floating and trying to roll during turns.

I can't believe you're driving at that pressure and know it. Like they said earlier, you are running a huge risk for a blowout. You're a lucky man. Perhaps play the lotto this week!
Old 09-25-13, 06:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
and you're OK with the TPMS light ON everytime you drive?

i don't know any Lexus/Toyota Service tech who will readjust the sensor to as low as 20.

and on a different note, make sure your insurance coverage is 500,000/1,000,000
Owner can reset the TPMS base line pressure to whatever PSI he chooses. He fills tires to 20 psi and resets the system so that it won't flash the light until he loses enough pressure to get to 15-17 psi. It's dangerous, but a driver can set the system to this spec if he wants to. That's way too low for proper performance and safety.....and why companies get sued when things go bad.
Old 09-25-13, 08:21 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
You might look into the tires themselves needing a change. The car also uses hydraulic steering and not magnetic. And this also will feel markedly different from the sedans. You might check the power steering fluid levels. Otherwise, being a japan vehicle or Canadian, I would think the springs and other various parts would be the same. But you are right, there is a noticeable difference between vehicle types.
There is no power steering fluid in RX350. It's EPS.
Old 09-25-13, 08:25 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
There is no power steering fluid in RX350. It's EPS.
Interesting, good to know.
Old 09-29-13, 06:18 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Call Lexus headquarters and complain or look in your owners manual and there should be a phone number to contact a district or zone service representative. Or do this thru the dealer. Demand the zone service rep inspect your vehicle if the dealer will not give satisfaction. They are master mechanics who travel around to dealers taking care of issues such as yours before they develop into lemon law suits. Yours may qualify as a lemon depending on your state lemon law requirements, just google your state name and lemon law. Some states allow award of attorney fees so your cost could be low.
Old 09-29-13, 08:27 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

My steering wheel is loosy goosy. There is nothing firm or hard about it. Im running 36psi in mine and love the ride with my 19" wheels.