RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why are the high beams just halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 02:10 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm not sure you're correct, it doesn't make sense they'd do that because it would increase cost and be less effective. In a quiet area (you're garage) have your wife change between low and high beam while you watch and listen. If they're both HID then they're both one bulb with a shutter that you will hear lower as it goes to high beam and raise when back to low beam. If not, then I guess they changed it.

BTW, I have a sun glass holder
Nope, you can believe me, I am correct! :-) Trying to make sense of this is a totally different story. I am still glad I got a 2013, for instance BSM, no hesitation issues, better parking sensors, etc. But on the lighting front, it seems to be a major step back: AFS, auto high beams, bi-xenon all gone.
Old 09-30-13, 02:11 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure you're correct, it doesn't make sense they'd do that because it would increase cost and be less effective. In a quiet area (you're garage) have your wife change between low and high beam while you watch and listen. If they're both HID then they're both one bulb with a shutter that you will hear lower as it goes to high beam and raise when back to low beam. If not, then I guess they changed it.

BTW, I have a sun glass holder
Jim, 2013 doesn't have Bi-Xenons. There are 2 bulbs in each headlight (3 for LEDs). The low beam is HID and high beam is Halogen. It's actually much cheaper that way, as halogens are dime a dozen.
Old 09-30-13, 06:56 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Have you considered changing the halogen bulb? I did for the DRLs and fog lights and am happy with the results. The best part is the bulbs only cost $15.

Here's a picture with the high beams on. Big difference.
Well, I just bought the vehicle and the reason I got the HID lights was the hope of not needing to do something like that.

But nevertheless, what bulbs did you use for the high beams and what's your experience?

In the past, I didn't have any good experiences with brighter after market bulbs. They are brighter, but the burn out much quicker and you end up needing to replace them frequently. But I may be willing to give it another shot.

Btw, I take it the led lights also just have halogen high beams?

Last edited by konradsa; 10-01-13 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 03:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I have Litech super whites (?) in the DRLs. My installer put them in over three years ago and they're still going strong. It's a super bright white light. For the fogs I went with Philips after having HID kits. I like the look, with a slight blueish tinge.
Old 10-01-13, 04:19 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware and I'm not sure of the reason they did that. Oh well, still enjoying my AFS (swiveling like Elvis) Bi-xenon's and sun glass holder .
Originally Posted by vlad_a
Jim, 2013 doesn't have Bi-Xenons. There are 2 bulbs in each headlight (3 for LEDs). The low beam is HID and high beam is Halogen. It's actually much cheaper that way, as halogens are dime a dozen.
Old 10-01-13, 07:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware and I'm not sure of the reason they did that. Oh well, still enjoying my AFS (swiveling like Elvis) Bi-xenon's and sun glass holder .
So jealous of the sunglasses holder.
That's a $700 feature right there.
Old 10-01-13, 07:11 AM
konradsa
Rookie

I have Litech super whites (?) in the DRLs. My installer put them in over three years ago and they're still going strong. It's a super bright white light. For the fogs I went with Philips after having HID kits. I like the look, with a slight blueish tinge.
When you say DRLs, those are the same bulbs that are used for the high beams in your car, correct?
Old 10-01-13, 08:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by konradsa
When you say DRLs, those are the same bulbs that are used for the high beams in your car, correct?
Yes, the inner light closest to the grill is both the DRL and high beam on my 450h with the LED headlights. The two small inner lights are the regular headlights. The turn signal, slighlty orangish in the picture above, is on the outside. I changed that bulb to superchrome too so it's clear now.
Old 10-01-13, 08:45 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Yes, the inner light closest to the grill is both the DRL and high beam on my 450h with the LED headlights. The two small inner lights are the regular headlights. The turn signal, slighlty orangish in the picture above, is on the outside. I changed that bulb to superchrome too so it's clear now.
Yeah, maybe I change those too. The white light from the HID low beams doesn't really jive with the yellow light from the high beams or the fog lamps. If anybody has some suggestions for some lamps (fog and high beams) that match factory color of HID and last, please let me know. I don't want the color to be too far off from the HID beams.
Old 10-01-13, 09:09 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yeah, maybe I change those too. The white light from the HID low beams doesn't really jive with the yellow light from the high beams or the fog lamps. If anybody has some suggestions for some lamps (fog and high beams) that match factory color of HID and last, please let me know. I don't want the color to be too far off from the HID beams.
You can try LED from VLEDS for the fogs. They give off a nice white light similar to HID. Stick with 5K.
Old 10-01-13, 10:01 AM
konradsa
Rookie

You can try LED from VLEDS for the fogs. They give off a nice white light similar to HID. Stick with 5K.
To clarify, I only want to change the bulbs. I don't want to change the bulb type, install ballasts, and all that stuff. Since the car is so new and still under warranty, don't want to mess with that.
Old 10-01-13, 11:16 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Honestly, make me feel a little bit better. Even with the expensive LED light upgrade, you still only get halogen high beams. But I think other car companies like Audi and Acura even have LED high beams.
Old 10-01-13, 01:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Honestly, make me feel a little bit better. Even with the expensive LED light upgrade, you still only get halogen high beams. But I think other car companies like Audi and Acura even have LED high beams.
LED is great for whiteness but not necessarily brightness. So for something like DRLs, it should be fine. But as a high beam, not so much. Even as headlights they're lacking. Most of us got them because they look awesome, me included. The Litechs work great for a halogen bulb. I may switch them to Philips when they go. Right now I have them in the fog lights.
Old 10-02-13, 06:57 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

For the fog lights, try these:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/6548.html

They're LED fog lamps available in JDM and are now making their way to the US for for the 2014 models. They are direct plug & play, replacing your existing fog lights so no worries about having to cut or drill anything. And since they're genuine Lexus parts, they carry a valid warranty.
Old 10-02-13, 09:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

konradsa: If your looking to upgrade your fog lights and high beams to LED you can. They would give you batter color and even match your factory HIDs but keep in mind they would not be as bright as your halogen bulbs. The XenonDepot LED fog light bulbs are rated at 750 lumens which makes the brightest LED bulbs. The LEDs for the fog lights would be a direct replacement but as for your high beams since they are your DRL as well than you would need to install a capacitor for them to work properly.

Use coupon code CLLED to get an extra 15% off the XenonDepot LED fog light bulbs

Danny

Quick Reply: Why are the high beams just halogen?