RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why are the high beams just halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:25 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
konradsa: If your looking to upgrade your fog lights and high beams to LED you can. They would give you batter color and even match your factory HIDs but keep in mind they would not be as bright as your halogen bulbs. The XenonDepot LED fog light bulbs are rated at 750 lumens which makes the brightest LED bulbs. The LEDs for the fog lights would be a direct replacement but as for your high beams since they are your DRL as well than you would need to install a capacitor for them to work properly.

Use coupon code CLLED to get an extra 15% off the XenonDepot LED fog light bulbs

Danny
2013 running lights are LED, they don't use the high beams anymore.

But I am not looking to go to LED. Honestly, the factory fog lamp LEDs from the 2014s are a little pricey, with $170 each. If it would be $170 for the set, I'd maybe think about it, but $170 each is too much just for the fogs.

What I am considering right now is replacing the fog lamp and high beam bulbs with some after market halogen bulbs that color match the HID low beams a little better. Would be nice to get a little more brightness while doing that of course.
Old 10-02-13, 09:44 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by konradsa

But I am not looking to go to LED. Honestly, the factory fog lamp LEDs from the 2014s are a little pricey, with $170 each. If it would be $170 for the set, I'd maybe think about it, but $170 each is too much just for the fogs.

What I am considering right now is replacing the fog lamp and high beam bulbs with some after market halogen bulbs that color match the HID low beams a little better. Would be nice to get a little more brightness while doing that of course.
Sign up for an account at Sewell and identify yourself as a ClubLexus member. You'll get automatic discount and the price for those will go down to about $113.
Old 10-02-13, 10:33 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Sign up for an account at Sewell and identify yourself as a ClubLexus member. You'll get automatic discount and the price for those will go down to about $113.
Well, that may change the equation a little bit. :-) Does anybody have some pictures that show the difference between 2013 and 2014 model fog lamps?
Old 10-02-13, 01:24 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Well, that may change the equation a little bit. :-) Does anybody have some pictures that show the difference between 2013 and 2014 model fog lamps?
I found some info from the IS forums, with pictures:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-13-isx50.html
Old 10-02-13, 01:51 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I found some info from the IS forums, with pictures:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-13-isx50.html
Oh wow, not sure I am a big fan of the squinting look. May have to see that one in person.
Old 10-02-13, 03:16 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird. If you have bi-xenon, what is the other light bulb in you assembly for then (the outer one for 2012 and earlier)?

I am pretty sure I have xenon, the light is bright white and moves up and down when I turn the car on. But the high beam is done by the inner bulbs in the assembly, which are halogens.

Did Lexus get rid of the xenon high beams as part of the 2013 headlight changes, when they also dropped the auto high beams and the AFS? Looking at the Lexus website, it only talks about HID headlights, no mention of high beams or bi-xenon.
The outer bulbs are DRL on Canadian models such as mine, the inside projectors house the bi-xenon system.

Last edited by tak06; 10-03-13 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 08:56 PM
dwlink
Driver

Headlights are getting to be too confusing with all the different lighting technologies out there. Our RX has the xenon's out the outside portion of the light. The inside one has a visible bulb without the projector lens. I don't know if this is just called standard xenon or what.

If I were the maker of a luxury car, I'd keep things a bit more simple with the headlights. Standard would be xenon lights with LED accents for things like DRLs and turn signals. Upgraded lights would be full LED. I would not offer a halogen option because the yellowish appearance looks dated and too standard - save that option for the Toyota's and the Scion's to pass on the cost savings.
Old 10-03-13, 11:31 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Well you can just get LED bulbs for your current fog lights but the output would not be that great. If you want to go with halogen bulbs than take a look at the Nokya Halogen bulbs, they offer their bulbs in a few different color options depending on fitment.

Danny
Old 10-03-13, 11:41 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Well you can just get LED bulbs for your current fog lights but the output would not be that great. If you want to go with halogen bulbs than take a look at the Nokya Halogen bulbs, they offer their bulbs in a few different color options depending on fitment.

Danny
Thanks. What about the high beams, what brand/type would you recommend there that match the color of the factory HIDs?
Old 10-03-13, 11:56 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. What about the high beams, what brand/type would you recommend there that match the color of the factory HIDs?
As for the high beams, you can get LED bulbs as well but again that would effect your light output. You can go with the same Nokya bulbs to color match them, if you go with the Arctic White color which is rated at 7000K for both lights it would give you the best results.

Danny
Old 10-03-13, 07:38 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 Sunglass holder! Unfortunately we don't get ENFORM so it's a pretty big tradeoff. It's unfortunate Lexus is still cost cutting with the removal of bi-xenons on our cars.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm not sure you're correct, it doesn't make sense they'd do that because it would increase cost and be less effective. In a quiet area (you're garage) have your wife change between low and high beam while you watch and listen. If they're both HID then they're both one bulb with a shutter that you will hear lower as it goes to high beam and raise when back to low beam. If not, then I guess they changed it.

BTW, I have a sun glass holder
Attached Thumbnails Why are the high beams just halogen?-dsc02873.jpg  
Old 10-03-13, 08:11 PM
droolerk9
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi-beams

I'll say that you car has aftermarket HID's. If you car had factory HID's they'd be BiXenon type, and there would be some kind of headlight washer port/system on your bumper. I recall that HID's (factory - legal ones) are supposed to be self leveling too.

When the car is started the lights will come on and you'll see their beam dip down and then up as the adjust themselves. If that doesn't happen, then they're aftermarket HID's. You could always trace their wires too and look for the ballast assembly.

There's a nice article (somewhere) on CL that covers aftermarket HID setups. Check it out.

BK
Old 10-03-13, 08:31 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by droolerk9
I'll say that you car has aftermarket HID's. If you car had factory HID's they'd be BiXenon type, and there would be some kind of headlight washer port/system on your bumper. I recall that HID's (factory - legal ones) are supposed to be self leveling too.

When the car is started the lights will come on and you'll see their beam dip down and then up as the adjust themselves. If that doesn't happen, then they're aftermarket HID's. You could always trace their wires too and look for the ballast assembly.

There's a nice article (somewhere) on CL that covers aftermarket HID setups. Check it out.

BK
Sorry, but did you even read the rest of the thread? 2013 and later models don't have bi-xenon anymore, just like they don't have afs and auto high beams, we've pretty much established that by now.
Old 10-04-13, 08:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

No headlight washer either. I believe that was a part of the LED headlight package. It's not mandatory in US, so we don't get it, unless it's an option.
Old 10-04-13, 11:25 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
No headlight washer either. I believe that was a part of the LED headlight package. It's not mandatory in US, so we don't get it, unless it's an option.
Headlight washers are part of the Luxury package. I have them but I very rarely ever use them.

Quick Reply: Why are the high beams just halogen?