RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 08:16 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Strange happenings. Time for the exorcist and setting up cameras. Paranormal style
But seriously, my other car has a remote start capability and the other day I went to my parking spot at work only to find my car nicely idling. Thank God I went back to get something in about 30 minutes.
​​​
Old 09-04-20, 12:40 PM
cognus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No it’s not “me”. I’m really surprised there’s not more detail in this thread as it appears to be a common issue, a fault our ‘13 RX 350 shares with others.
see https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...23080_ds606137
Old 10-26-20, 10:47 AM
Deltaecho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange window openings!

Went out to my 2015 RX350 parked in driveway and all 4 windows were down and moon roof partially open. Doors locked. Were closed and locked night before. Temp 50°. Nothing tampered with. Any theories?
Old 10-26-20, 10:49 AM
RageFked
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deltaecho
Went out to my 2015 RX350 parked in driveway and all 4 windows were down and moon roof partially open. Doors locked. Were closed and locked night before. Temp 50°. Nothing tampered with. Any theories?
​​​​​​I believe the unlock button was held for a long time (either by some key/object in your pocket). If you hold down the unlock button, the windows roll down and moon roof opens.
Old 10-26-20, 11:25 AM
Deltaecho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RageFked
​​​​​​I believe the unlock button was held for a long time (either by some key/object in your pocket). If you hold down the unlock button, the windows roll down and moon roof opens.
OK, I thought something along that but not sure. Thank you.
Old 10-26-20, 02:04 PM
Jiffin12
Driver School Candidate

I first came across this unwanted feature (unlocking doors, rolling down windows and opening the sun roof with one long push of the unlock button) has long been a Key Standard Feature of the remote control. This key feature was in my 2001 RX300 vehicle and I accidently had the experience three times when I did not want it to happen. Each time it was caused by pressing on the unlock button while the remote was in my pocket.

Later when I was shopping for my 2015 RX I read the 2015 RX brochure and mentioned on page 22 under Key Standard Features was: "Remote-linked opening for windows and available moonroof". Thus when I took delivery of my RX350 F sport model I requested that the dealer turnoff this 'feature' before I drove it home. That request and swapping the tires for Michelins were on my new RX from the start.
Old 08-22-21, 09:59 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default ALL Windows and Moonroof Open While Parked

So, I just got a call from wife asking if I had come to her workplace and opened all the windows and moonroof. I did not do this. I know this is a feature using the key fob...press and hold unlock, and all the glass opens...and press and hold lock, and everything closes. But doing it on its own ? Anybody had this issue ?
Old 08-22-21, 10:43 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 418 Likes on 334 Posts

Where does she store her key fob? Did she accidentally hit it in her purse? Did she accidentally sit on it?
Old 08-22-21, 11:10 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Where does she store her key fob? Did she accidentally hit it in her purse? Did she accidentally sit on it?
She put the fob in her purse, and simply went inside her workplace, and stored her purse in a protected place. Interestingly, she just got home a few minutes ago, so I went out to the garage, and using the fob, pressed and held the "unlock" button, and all the windows and moonroof opened...except the moonroof opened only about 80% during my continued hold. I then pressed and held "lock" button, and nothing happened except a "beep". I then pressed and held the "unlock" button again, and the only thing that happened was that the moonroof continued to open the remaining 20% of the way. I suspect an electronic gremlin has arrived.
Old 08-22-21, 11:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,167 Likes on 995 Posts

Most likely it was just in the wrong position in her purse and the button was held down enough to open everything. Sort of like butt dialing your phone. If she watches where the keys are positioned in her purse I doubt it will happen again.
This happened to my across-the-street neighbor with his 2011 RX350 while it was sitting in the driveway at home. They never found any other cause except accidental button pressing.
The following users liked this post:
ricco750 (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 11:47 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Most likely it was just in the wrong position in her purse and the button was held down enough to open everything. Sort of like butt dialing your phone. If she watches where the keys are positioned in her purse I doubt it will happen again.
This happened to my across-the-street neighbor with his 2011 RX350 while it was sitting in the driveway at home. They never found any other cause except accidental button pressing.
She claims she did nothing differently with storing her keys in her purse. I don't know, but she has now had the car for about 9 months, and this is the first time it has happened. The car battery is about 4 and 1/2 years old, and I have been considering replacing it just because of its age, and in the process will get a computer reset while it's disconnected. Would this be wise, or would I run the chance of messing up the computer with a disconnect ?
Old 08-22-21, 02:50 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

When I had my 2019 RX the initial visit to the dealer is when you pick if you want them to program any of those settings. I wanted the windows sunroof thing and the service manager fought me tooth and nails on it. His reasoning was you don’t know how many ppl accidentally hold the unlock button in there pocket and open everything up. I’d bet that’s what happened in her purse her makeup case or something inadvertently pushed down on it. Before that I had a 2015 Explorer and the key fob is huge and the buttons protrude out past the remote. The emergency button all you have to do is tap it for the alarm to go off. I’m used to Toyota where you need to hold it for a few seconds in order for it to go off. I can’t tell you how many times I set the alarm off on that thing.

When I first got the 2010 RX the battery terminals were pretty dingy so I disconnected both of them simultaneously for a good 5 minutes while I brushed and cleaned them off before I put everything back. I didn’t loose anything except for the time. The navigation did re download or something for a few minutes it said do not turn off car until you this is finished but everything was fine after that.
The following users liked this post:
ricco750 (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 03:24 PM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ricco750
She claims she did nothing differently with storing her keys in her purse. I don't know, but she has now had the car for about 9 months, and this is the first time it has happened. The car battery is about 4 and 1/2 years old, and I have been considering replacing it just because of its age, and in the process will get a computer reset while it's disconnected. Would this be wise, or would I run the chance of messing up the computer with a disconnect ?
Well, I just finished putting in the new battery, a Walmart 24F Everstart Maxx. First crank, started and died. I uttered a profanity. Second crank, she started and stayed running. The driver's side seat adjustment buttons had not lost their preset for me, but the radio presets were definitely erased. Go figure. Anyway, I'll update as time goes by. I will definitely make an appointment with Lexus to get the Windows Down and Sunroof Open feature deleted...looks like another $100-$200 will be due for that. Don't you appreciate people who update their posts ?
Old 08-22-21, 04:08 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Ahh sorry my seat is pinned all the way back and my wife doesn’t drive it so I didn’t even think about the seat memory. I also don’t listen to AM/FM radio, just Apple Music or Podcast. Good luck hopefully you don’t have any further issues.
Old 08-23-21, 02:21 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ricco750
I will definitely make an appointment with Lexus to get the Windows Down and Sunroof Open feature deleted...looks like another $100-$200 will be due for that. Don't you appreciate people who update their posts ?
I don't think you have to go to the dealer for this. The Carista app will let you do it yourself, I believe. Check caristaapp.com for details.

Mark

Quick Reply: Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof