RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Engine air filter replacement 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 11:17 PM
Saltynutz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't people use the parts that are "designed & tested" for the vehicle? Is it worth the money you save to risk causing a check engine light to come on or worse that it might cause other problems for you down the road and you'll ever wonder why your lexus fail "prematurely"
Old 12-20-13, 09:29 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Saltynutz
Why can't people use the parts that are "designed & tested" for the vehicle? Is it worth the money you save to risk causing a check engine light to come on or worse that it might cause other problems for you down the road and you'll ever wonder why your lexus fail "prematurely"
What risk? Are you seriously going to tell me that using a third-party engine air filter from a company such as WIX is going to damage my engine in any way? So, you are telling me that I need to drive 90 minutes each direction to go to the local dealership to be charged twice the price that I can purchase a WIX filter from a nearby NAPA shop? Do you have any proof that the Denso is better than any other product? How do you know that products such as those form WIX are not in fact a superior product?

Save your criticisms of folks who want to work on their own vehicles and use non-Toyota products unless you can bring some actual facts instead of your now boring witticisms.
Old 12-23-13, 06:08 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tak06
Has anyone R&R'd the OEM filter with the K&N air filter part # 33-2442 on their RX., approx. $45-$65, all tests indicate superior
breathing capabilities but I'm concerned about the damp coating on the mesh possibly causing issues with the MAP sensor. K&N obviously denies any sensor issues and guarantees it.
K&N's have "superior" breathing capabilities but less filtering as i have researched and found on my oil analysis on 2 of my past cars..resulting in more contaminants in the oil over a regular oil change interval.
Paper is a better filtering media with less cons other than more frequent replacement intervals.

You are right about the K&N mesh, often folks put too much oil when re-oiling, the vacuum of the intake will pull the oil onto the MAF sensor and can mess up the calibration.
Old 12-23-13, 08:29 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Just replace the filter every 10,000 miles and you will maintain airflow almost as good as K&N while providing much more filtering capability. I too agree that Wix makes a great filter. I think Purlator or Fram are filters probably are just as good for the engine or cabin.
Old 12-23-13, 10:59 AM
tak06
Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
K&N's have "superior" breathing capabilities but less filtering as i have researched and found on my oil analysis on 2 of my past cars..resulting in more contaminants in the oil over a regular oil change interval.
Paper is a better filtering media with less cons other than more frequent replacement intervals.

You are right about the K&N mesh, often folks put too much oil when re-oiling, the vacuum of the intake will pull the oil onto the MAF sensor and can mess up the calibration.
I too have used K&N on most of my vehicles and just assumed that they provided excellent air flow AND superior filtration, I didn't realize that the filtration characteristics were inferior to paper.
Here's a site that tested various brands:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
and K&N's attempt to debunk the less filtration claim
http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
I tend to believe the unbiased testing.
Old 12-23-13, 11:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tak06
I too have used K&N on most of my vehicles and just assumed that they provided excellent air flow AND superior filtration, I didn't realize that the filtration characteristics were inferior to paper.
Here's a site that tested various brands:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
that review pretty much summed up what i found out on my oil analysis .

As a "lifetime' replacement filter i would like to consider if they made one for my RX is the AEM dry-flo. It is a non-oiled washable filter. It would be interesting to see how it would perform under the same tests.
But for now, OEM and OEM-style paper replacement air filters like Fram for me.
Old 12-23-13, 01:31 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
What risk? Are you seriously going to tell me that using a third-party engine air filter from a company such as WIX is going to damage my engine in any way? So, you are telling me that I need to drive 90 minutes each direction to go to the local dealership to be charged twice the price that I can purchase a WIX filter from a nearby NAPA shop? Do you have any proof that the Denso is better than any other product? How do you know that products such as those form WIX are not in fact a superior product?

Save your criticisms of folks who want to work on their own vehicles and use non-Toyota products unless you can bring some actual facts instead of your now boring witticisms.
THANK YOU! Someone really needed to say that!

BTW- the brand new engine air filter I just installed in our RX is marked Toyota and has a Toyota part number. I guess it must be a third-party air filter too. Ha, ha, ha.
Old 12-23-13, 05:52 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi

This sums it up. If you drive in dusty conditions the K&N will definitely let more containment's pass thru, besides it not a race car.
Old 12-24-13, 07:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act allows you to use aftermarket parts and still maintain your vehicle warranty. As long as you have records of the maintenance. I keep receipts and log everything into the maintenance manual that comes with the car.
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance
Old 06-20-14, 10:45 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

By far the easiest engine air filter replacement I've ever done. Took me literally 5 mins without having to look up directions.
Old 04-01-15, 09:28 AM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hiroslamme
Just remove the plastic engine cover on the upper right corner, which covers the battery and air filter. Its just four fasteners that you push in to remove and re-use, from there you'll see the two metal tabs that hold the air filter in place. I use Wix filters from O'reilys, found them to be better than the Denso brand from the dealer, both run $20 bucks.
Thanks. Is my first vehicle with a plastic cover. I assume its there to intimidate car owners who want to do maintenance themselves. or does it have a legit purpose?
Old 04-01-15, 09:40 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod82
Thanks. Is my first vehicle with a plastic cover. I assume its there to intimidate car owners who want to do maintenance themselves. or does it have a legit purpose?
Mostly there for aesthetics to keep things looking nice. Easy enough to remove, though. .