RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 08:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Sorry... this hit a hot button of mine... My response here is not directed at you personally.
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
100% co-sign
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Suggest instead of asking, use the search feature first on the forum. It's going to be a rare instance where your question is going to be the first of any topic.
Where is the Like button when you need it.

Might I throw out another suggestion? When searching, go out to Google and in the list of search terms include clublexus.com. Be sure to include your model in the list of terms as well. You will then see a list of threads here at CL you can view. Find this is easier and a more powerful search method at time.

FWIW, I too find it amazing how some spend so little time in the research, both pre and post purchase, on a new vehicle and its features. If you cannot take the time to RTFM, why should folks like me take the time to point out the obvious?
Old 02-26-14, 08:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I generally agree with you oohpapi44, but the title of this thread is "annoyances".
And those are our "annoyances."
Old 02-27-14, 03:31 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
And those are our "annoyances."

Oh ho ho. I'm still chuckling!
Old 02-27-14, 05:29 AM
bring
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm annoyed someone considers the RX an entry-level SUV

Not in my tax-bracket....
Old 02-27-14, 09:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I need to post given the recent change in tone of this thread. Disclaimer, it is not directed at any member in particular.

The negative connotation with the word "Annoyances" has become front and center. I'd suggest everyone reread the first post to see how this thread started. OP's comments were not completely inflammatory. Criticism is a good thing as long as we keep it constructive. In post 31, I mentioned this is a very subjective thread. Not everyone is going to agree with what's being said. And that's fine. We're entitled to our opinions. I have to ask again that we keep it respectful.
Old 03-03-14, 07:54 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
...... Perhaps we should start a separate thread like "delights" so we get more balance in the discussion.
Although I think it's a good idea, I suspect a "Delights" thread would go largely unused. We all know how much easier it is to find negatives than it is to recognize positives. There are a few things that I wish Lexus had done differently on our cars, but I generally find it less annoying for me personally to compromise and/or adapt, rather than acknowledge the irritation. It's sort of a personal challenge of myself, and in some cases I've actually ended up preferring the compromise I've made. However, the things to which I can't easily adapt don't come close to offsetting the enjoyment I get from driving our cars, or from the outstanding service we get from our dealer.

At one point I was a dedicated anti-toyota zealot, but the ownership experience my mother had with her 07 RX convinced me to consider a Lexus when we bought our 2010. Although I will avoid saying "never" anymore when it comes to cars, I certainly don't know what it would take to convince me to buy anything other than a Lexus in the future. Even considering the "annoyances".
Old 03-06-14, 10:29 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the light gray interior, the foot rest near the parking brake is also light gray as is the carpet. The dark gray floor mats don't cover the carpeted area near there.

Hubby Websailor has gotten dirt all over the foot rest and the surrounding light gray carpet.
Not practical if you ask me, and guess who gets to clean it.

Also a few rattles from the back, but don't know if that is normal especially when driving over pot holes (our city doesn't have enough tax money to fix all of them). Wondering if the luggage cover is the cause too?

Update: Gave our neigbor's family a ride to the train station, so I got to ride in the "jump seat". While leaning back, it snapped back into place and now it seems that some of the rattles have gone away ... I could be imagining things though. Will listen more carefully the next time.

I tried to clean the carpet, it is better, but logic tells me that this is a losing battle.

Last edited by cflutist; 03-06-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 11:26 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cflutist
For the light gray interior, the foot rest near the parking brake is also light gray as is the carpet. The dark gray floor mats don't cover the carpeted area near there.

Hubby Websailor has gotten dirt all over the foot rest and the surrounding light gray carpet.
Same thing here
Old 03-06-14, 11:43 AM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cflutist

Same with a parchment interior. Also the scuff plates get, well, scuffed a lot and it really shows up with parchment. (I've seen posts about covering the scuff plates with carpet protector film but that's too much like plastic-wrapping furniture from the 1950's for me.)
Old 03-06-14, 01:32 PM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by Seeker4
Same with a parchment interior. Also the scuff plates get, well, scuffed a lot and it really shows up with parchment. (I've seen posts about covering the scuff plates with carpet protector film but that's too much like plastic-wrapping furniture from the 1950's for me.)
I bet Lexus engineers don't even think about how much maintenance is needed to keep our cars clean inside and out.
Old 03-06-14, 02:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Why a WeatherTech DigitalFit floor liner, even if only on the driver's side, can be a good investment.
Old 03-06-14, 02:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

But it's easier and cheaper to ask hubby to take his shoes off. I would. Or I'd give him carpet cleaner as a birthday present
Old 03-06-14, 02:46 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

"I tried to clean the carpet, it is better, but logic tells me that this is a losing battle." Cheryl

Have you tried Folex? Available at grocery stores and Home Depot. Spray on, rub in with fingers, no rubber gloves necessary, wipe off with towel. We use it on the carpet around the house and in the car over and over. The stuff's amazing. Hope this helps.
Ray
Old 03-06-14, 03:00 PM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
But it's easier and cheaper to ask hubby to take his shoes off. I would. Or I'd give him carpet cleaner as a birthday present
LOL, Great idea Anita, but Websailor can be stubborn at times. I've already lost the battle about him wearing blue jeans in the car (and you will bet that I'm going to put another coat of Leather Master Protection Cream on his driver's seat before our road trip in 10 days - btw which is his birthday gift.)

Raylor4, another good tip. Thanks. I'll look for it at Home Depot.

This car is only 2 months old tomorrow and the carpet on the driver's side is already soiled

p.s. I try not to step on the "LEXUS RX" lettering on the floor mat when I ride as a passenger, of course it is light gray also and is just
asking to be soiled. Why is the lettering not in black?

Last edited by cflutist; 03-06-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 04:28 PM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My annoyances so far:

(1) No place to lay a cell phone, although many features of the RX require one. The bin inside the console is too small to comfortably fit a larger phone (HTC One).
(2) No sunglasses holder.
(3) When listening to SAT radio, you cannot change the channel with the Remote Touch unless the channel you want is preset. You must lean over towards the passenger side and use the chrome **** that is hard to grab.
(4) The clock should be accessible on the nav screen.
(5) Lexus Enform is quirky, to say the least. Sometimes launching the app on your phone and going through the Info/Apps to get to something like Pandora produces an error stating you need to be logged into Enform on your phone--even though you already are. grrrrr
(7) Although the ride is super comfortable, small bumps like expansion joints or potholes are surprisingly jarring. My 4Runner soaks up bumps MUCH more smoothly. And yes...I have the Michelins.
(8) And my favorite: from weather forecast screen, WHY OH WHY doesn't it just default to your current location (or wherever your cursor is on the map)? Instead it makes you scroll through all US cities to find your city.
(9) The Comfort Package includes heated seats but not the heated steering wheel. Absurd.

Last edited by kgbagent1; 03-06-14 at 04:44 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quick Reply: Annoyances