RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 04:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Cheryl, pick up some plastic wrap too at Home Depot and turn the seats into grandma's old couch. LOL! Please tell me you have all weather mats in your RXh. No shoe has ever touched the carpet in my 450h.
Old 03-06-14, 04:58 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think part of the dirty carpet problem came from a major redesign of the floor mats after the 2010 fatal crash involving an off duty CHP Officer and his family who were in a 2009 (?) Lexus ES350, a loaner from the dealer. Not sure if they every came to a concrete conclusion but everyone agreed it was unintended acceleration.

So in order to eliminate the mats interfering with the accelerator they shrunk them considerably.

I'm already seeing dirt spots just in front of the accelerator of my 6 week old RX.

Lately I've gotten into a routine of having my vehicles professionally detailed once a year. No matter how bad your car is, it will come back looking better than brand new. April/May seems to be a good time after the rains have stopped.
Old 03-06-14, 06:17 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
LOL, Great idea Anita, but Websailor can be stubborn at times. I've already lost the battle about him wearing blue jeans in the car (and you will bet that I'm going to put another coat of Leather Master Protection Cream on his driver's seat before our road trip in 10 days - btw which is his birthday gift.)

Raylor4, another good tip. Thanks. I'll look for it at Home Depot.

This car is only 2 months old tomorrow and the carpet on the driver's side is already soiled

p.s. I try not to step on the "LEXUS RX" lettering on the floor mat when I ride as a passenger, of course it is light gray also and is just
asking to be soiled. Why is the lettering not in black?
Hhhhhmmmm, Cflutist's birthday is coming up. I forsee a present for her.....it's getting clearer, Oh a black sleeping mask for her to put on just before she gets in the car. Problem solved!
Old 03-06-14, 07:05 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteInGilr
I think part of the dirty carpet problem came from a major redesign of the floor mats after the 2010 fatal crash involving an off duty CHP Officer and his family who were in a 2009 (?) Lexus ES350, a loaner from the dealer. Not sure if they every came to a concrete conclusion but everyone agreed it was unintended acceleration.

So in order to eliminate the mats interfering with the accelerator they shrunk them considerably.

I'm already seeing dirt spots just in front of the accelerator of my 6 week old RX.

Lately I've gotten into a routine of having my vehicles professionally detailed once a year. No matter how bad your car is, it will come back looking better than brand new. April/May seems to be a good time after the rains have stopped.
Just an FYI, YES, the CHP officer incident came to a conclusion AND it sparked the whole Tied in mats and cut down gas pedal problems and numerous experiments with the Toyota/Lexus poorly designed "wire fedl,low voltage system" that they used. The lawsuit settled with 4 people dead and 4 million to the relatives; so a dead body is worth 1 million to Toyota!! It also upset NHTSA with how Toyota handled the whole thing causing more fines and tests, both independently and even the news media got inivolved. I could explain more, but quite technical about the "drive by wire" system we have compared to the much better "drive by wire" that American companies used!!!
Old 03-08-14, 07:39 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
My annoyances so far:

(1) No place to lay a cell phone, although many features of the RX require one. The bin inside the console is too small to comfortably fit a larger phone (HTC One).
(2) No sunglasses holder.
(3) When listening to SAT radio, you cannot change the channel with the Remote Touch unless the channel you want is preset. You must lean over towards the passenger side and use the chrome **** that is hard to grab.
(4) The clock should be accessible on the nav screen.
(5) Lexus Enform is quirky, to say the least. Sometimes launching the app on your phone and going through the Info/Apps to get to something like Pandora produces an error stating you need to be logged into Enform on your phone--even though you already are. grrrrr
(7) Although the ride is super comfortable, small bumps like expansion joints or potholes are surprisingly jarring. My 4Runner soaks up bumps MUCH more smoothly. And yes...I have the Michelins.
(8) And my favorite: from weather forecast screen, WHY OH WHY doesn't it just default to your current location (or wherever your cursor is on the map)? Instead it makes you scroll through all US cities to find your city.
(9) The Comfort Package includes heated seats but not the heated steering wheel. Absurd.
(1) iPhone fits in door handle or dash cup holder
(2)Agree or dash cup holder
(3)Agree or use voice command if you know the number or name of channel (may only work on 2012)
(4)I don't look at a clock much
(5)I have a 2012, not an annoyance for me...
(6) Mondays follow weekends.....
(7) Seems even worse this winter, wait for spring and potholes....ugh
(8)Agree
(9)Seems even worse this winter. My hands older, weather colder....ugh

Nice list thanks for sharing.

Last edited by DunWkg; 03-08-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 06:11 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Please tell me you have all weather mats in your RXh. No shoe has ever touched the carpet in my 450h.
My used 2013 RX 350 has black carpet AND black Lexus all weather mats. I sold the all weathers on Ebay for $81. I have had zero trouble keeping my black carpet mats clean.
Old 03-10-14, 08:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by coachlkg
My used 2013 RX 350 has black carpet AND black Lexus all weather mats. I sold the all weathers on Ebay for $81. I have had zero trouble keeping my black carpet mats clean.
My 450h has a black interior too but the thought of looking down at the dirty carpet would drive me crazy. I'd have to put on booties, LOL! OCD, what can I tell you.
Old 03-10-14, 09:39 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well we have the WORST of both worlds.

Very light gray carpet that shows dirt from the driver's shoes on the foot rest near the parking break and very dark gray (almost black) mats that show all of the road debris tracked in by both of us.
I took shipping tape to it on Saturday to get tiny leaves and bits of grass off. Even found some of Websailor's gray hairs.
Trying to keep this car clean but it is a losing battle.
Partial OCD Anita

However, just bought a pack of 36 microfiber cloths from Costco for $14.99. I figure that we can use some for the window (with Sprayway) and others for the Leather Master Protection Cream, and some to even dry the car if we ever wash it.
Old 03-10-14, 06:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Very light gray carpet that shows dirt from the driver's shoes on the foot rest near the parking break and very dark gray (almost black) mats that show all of the road debris tracked in by both of us.
I took shipping tape to it on Saturday to get tiny leaves and bits of grass off. Even found some of Websailor's gray hairs.
Trying to keep this car clean but it is a losing battle.
Partial OCD Anita

Now if you took tweezers to pluck the leaves and grass out of the carpet, I'd say you're way beyond OCD, LOL! Tape is pretty ingenious. Lexus needs to install a vacuum in the middle console to make our lives easier
Old 03-10-14, 06:51 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

However, just bought a pack of 36 microfiber cloths from Costco for $14.99. I figure that we can use some for the window (with Sprayway) and others for the Leather Master Protection Cream, and some to even dry the car if we ever wash it.
Funny....I've been using Sprayway for 40 years (a great glass cleaner and smells fantastic). I've also been using microfiber towels for about 12 years and can't live without them. Even some of our kitchen towels are microfiber.

Just washed my RX for the 2nd time today...temperatures are warming...maybe 80 degrees this weekend. She will be lookin' good!
Old 03-10-14, 08:22 PM
websailor
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Now if you took tweezers to pluck the leaves and grass out of the carpet, I'd say you're way beyond OCD, LOL! Tape is pretty ingenious. Lexus needs to install a vacuum in the middle console to make our lives easier
Ooooooow, I would LIKE that! Perfect for the non-existent "Delights" thread. I should search and see if there is a "Consumer Suggested Improvements" thread.

Maybe I should get Cflutist a hand-held shop vacuum for the car for her birthday.

I could hot glue some rhinestones on it too.

Old 03-10-14, 11:20 PM
razo168
Driver School Candidate

I hate how you can't lock the door with the engine on.. I guess this applies to all Lexus.
Old 06-04-14, 12:54 PM
thelew67
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire gauge

To my surprise the RX does not tell you what tire needs air or how much pressure is in any tire!! Prior to this I had an 07 Acura TL it gave me all that info...well I guess i'll have to do9 it the old way .
Old 06-04-14, 01:40 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

IIRC only the 450h gives you that capability. One of the many 450h owners here can confirm that. I have a RX350 and use ye ole dial tire gauge monthly.
Old 06-04-14, 01:48 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on my order 15 f sport says it has: Direct Tire Pressure Monitor System. could it be the same that the 450h's have?

Quick Reply: Annoyances