RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Opinions on potential purchase 2010-2011 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 01:49 PM
deanzombie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on potential purchase 2010-2011 RX350

2010 RX350 Obsidian/Black
$34,400
29k miles
AWD
Premium Pack - Nav - parking sensors
CPO

2011 RX350 Starfire Pearl/Gray
$35,400
36k miles
FWD
Premium Pack - Nav - parking sensors
CPO

These are the lowest prices for each vehicle marked down roughly 1k from their advertised cost. Does not seem they can do any better as I've already walked out on both. I do like the white 2011 over the black AWD but question is if it's worth 1k more for color and year.

Opinions?
Old 11-07-13, 05:00 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't think the mileage difference is a real issue between them, neither is $1K.
1 year newer may give you more remaining life on the warranty. This depends on the wording, something I haven't read up on.

What you need to decide is if you can live with/without the AWD.
Old 11-07-13, 05:21 PM
deanzombie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Don't think the mileage difference is a real issue between them, neither is $1K.
1 year newer may give you more remaining life on the warranty. This depends on the wording, something I haven't read up on.

What you need to decide is if you can live with/without the AWD.
Thanks for the feedback. Being in CA, AWD isnt a deal breaker but wouldnt mind having. That being said yes i can easily live without it,
Old 11-07-13, 07:01 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read that some here think the 2011s have a few less rattles. IF this is true, the 2011 may be the better way to go. I would be interested to see what folks in this thread say (2011 vs 2010).

If folks don't think the 2011 is a little more solid, then I would consider the interior color. You do see it everyday. Do you have a strong preference here either way?
Old 11-07-13, 07:03 PM
deanzombie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I read that some here think the 2011s have a few less rattles. IF this is true, the 2011 may be the better way to go. I would be interested to see what folks in this thread say (2011 vs 2010).

If folks don't think the 2011 is a little more solid, then I would consider the interior color. You do see it everyday. Do you have a strong preference here either way?
I'm actually not very picky w/ interior. Although gray does seem a little dull....but no big deal.
Old 11-08-13, 11:26 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you mean black?
Obsidian or star gazer?

Have you owned a black/ dark colored car before?

Warning: a black car in general is a second job ( to keep it showroom appearance)

So between the two, i'll choose the white RX
Old 11-08-13, 11:32 AM
deanzombie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
What do you mean black?
Obsidian or star gazer?

Have you owned a black/ dark colored car before?

Warning: a black car in general is a second job ( to keep it showroom appearance)

So between the two, i'll choose the white RX
Obsidian/Black (exterior/interior)

Yes, I've owned a couple of black vehicles previously. I've always said black is the best color when clean/maintained and the worst when not.
Old 11-08-13, 12:47 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Of the two, i'd pick the 2010, AWD , nice color , less miles and more car for the money.

But test drive them and see if you notice a difference.
We set out to get an Obsidian/Black 2010 but picked up a Smoked Grey Mica with a different package including NAV for less $. During the test drive, the black suv was noticeably rougher driving and had a brake caliper that I'm pretty sure was dragging ever so slightly.
The milage difference was about 1500 miles, and i believe some of the roughness was due to the about of tire used up. Knowing that tires for 18 or 19 inch rims cost quite a bit, we took that also in consideration.
Old 11-08-13, 03:06 PM
deanzombie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Of the two, i'd pick the 2010, AWD , nice color , less miles and more car for the money.

But test drive them and see if you notice a difference.
We set out to get an Obsidian/Black 2010 but picked up a Smoked Grey Mica with a different package including NAV for less $. During the test drive, the black suv was noticeably rougher driving and had a brake caliper that I'm pretty sure was dragging ever so slightly.
The milage difference was about 1500 miles, and i believe some of the roughness was due to the about of tire used up. Knowing that tires for 18 or 19 inch rims cost quite a bit, we took that also in consideration.
More car for less $ actually. The AWD is the only difference between the 2 and a year older (but less miles). I do like white more than black though and don't really need AWD here in CA except for maybe trips to the snow in the winter in which it still may not need it.
Old 11-09-13, 05:46 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

ultimately your preference and choice...both the milages show those are still babies, with many more Toyota/Lexus low maintenance miles to come.
Old 11-09-13, 06:59 AM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

I have a '10 starfire pearl - would have preferred black but the "loaners" for sale at the time didn't include black. Very plased with the color - haven't had to do a thing other than a weekly wash. Just under 30K on this one. Put 140K on a '99 that I had for 10 years. You'll love the RX regardless of color!
Old 11-10-13, 09:58 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just bought a used 2010 Starfire Pearl RX from the local Honda dealer. Lots of miles, but only $28K. We're extremely happy with it.

A word of warning: Lots of used RXs are showing up here in Colorado from New Jersey, which you may recall was "ground zero" for hurricane Sandy. Given that over 450,000 vehicles were damaged by hurricane Sandy, AND that it's very possible CarFax doesn't know about it, these could easily be cars that were cleaned up after being damaged/flooded during the hurricane.

If you can do so, be sure to read the CarFax history on any vehicle you are considering. If it came from New Jersey, walk away, even if the price is low. I looked at one of these NJ RXs, and while it looked OK superficially, the interior had a very odd/peculiar smell--not a good sign--and the underside had been re-painted with flat black paint--another bad sign--I quickly departed the dealership. BTW, several of these NJ cars are at Lexus dealerships.

Our "new" RX came directly from Arizona.

Last edited by RickC5; 11-10-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 03:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
Just bought a used 2010 Starfire Pearl RX from the local Honda dealer. Lots of miles, but only $28K. We're extremely happy with it.

A word of warning: Lots of used RXs are showing up here in Colorado from New Jersey, which you may recall was "ground zero" for hurricane Sandy. Given that over 450,000 vehicles were damaged by hurricane Sandy, AND that it's very possible CarFax doesn't know about it, these could easily be cars that were cleaned up after being damaged/flooded during the hurricane.

If you can do so, be sure to read the CarFax history on any vehicle you are considering. If it came from New Jersey, walk away, even if the price is low. I looked at one of these NJ RXs, and while it looked OK superficially, the interior had a very odd/peculiar smell--not a good sign--and the underside had been re-painted with flat black paint--another bad sign--I quickly departed the dealership. BTW, several of these NJ cars are at Lexus dealerships.

Our "new" RX came directly from Arizona.
i couldn't have said it better.
and Carfax is a hit or miss in my opinion.
i remember trading our Camry 8 years ago.
it had 2 auto body works done on it resulting from parking lot incidents.
ON both times, the other guy's insurance took care of it.

I was surprised to see that CARFAX has no record of it.
it could be that the Car Insurance Approved body shop didn't report the works done.
Old 11-10-13, 03:42 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

it could be that the Car Insurance Approved body shop didn't report the works done.
Yep, CarFax is truly hit or miss. According to a friend in the car business: "CarFax can only report what is reported to it", meaning that CarFax vehicle histories can be VERY incomplete.

I do know that CarFax can somehow access Police reports on traffic accidents and even very minor damage gets reported as "an accident", which is really doing the owner and potential buyer a major dis-service IMHO.

I have heard from many people that CarFax simply doesn't know about a multitude of minor accidents if there was no police report written.

Anyway, CarFax's vehicle histories can still provide some info on where a car was originally sold, how many owners it has had, and how much service was performed at the car brand's dealers (like Lexus dealers for a Lexus). Valuable info for sure.
Old 11-10-13, 04:26 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think carfax only shows damages that are exceeding $1,000, so minor fender benders don't show up on the report.

Besides, I lived in NJ through hurricane Sandy and believe me, most cars escaped unscathed. But it is suspicious though that they are showing up so far west now in increasing numbers.

Quick Reply: Opinions on potential purchase 2010-2011 RX350