RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 03:06 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensor question

This may have been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer.

Does anyone know whether the 3rd gen. RX350 accommodate 2 separate

TPMS sensors, I'm planning on purchasing a 2nd set of rims and I don't wish to remove

the original sensors from the rims and installing them into the new rims.
Old 11-22-13, 03:29 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by tak06
This may have been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer.

Does anyone know whether the 3rd gen. RX350 accommodate 2 separate

TPMS sensors, I'm planning on purchasing a 2nd set of rims and I don't wish to remove

the original sensors from the rims and installing them into the new rims.
I can't answer exactly since I never worked on Lexus cars - but when I worked as a mechanic I replaced many of those sensors (on other band cars) and the only thing needed to get them to work was to go into the PCM with a scanner and "register" the new sensor. So I'll bet Lexus is no different. You would need to go the shop (if you don't have a scan tool) and have the Shop "register" all four TPMS on your new wheels. Then if you change back to the other wheels (maybe you have winter and summer tires/wheels) you go back again and register those. Should not be a big deal or expensive to do.
Old 11-22-13, 05:32 PM
tak06
Driver

So with the RX 350 you can't register 2 separate codes, every time one changes from 1 set of rims to another
you have to scan and re-register again?
You would think Lexus would take into account that owners of these vehicles may have
2 sets of wheels/tires for summer & winter use.
Old 11-23-13, 04:48 AM
mshumack
Driver

Sorry its me again. Maybe a Lexus tech will join in that confirm this for sure.

According to this article (end of second paragraph), the GS model allows you to store two different sets of "ID Codes" so you can have Summer and Winter tires and switch between them without having to go the Dealer each time. So I would expect the RX to be the same.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...x?prestitial=1
Old 11-23-13, 08:07 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In looking at the manual, my assumption is the RX only has one set of ID codes:

When replacing tires or wheels, tire pressure warning valves and transmitters must also be installed. When new tire pressure warning valves and transmitters are installed, new tire pressure warning valve and transmitter ID codes must be registered in the tire pressure warning computer and the tire pressure warning system must be initialized. Have tire pressure warning valve and transmitter ID codes registered by your Lexus dealer.

The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a unique
ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and transmitter, it
is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code registered by your
Lexus dealer.
Old 11-24-13, 09:41 PM
tak06
Driver

Thanks, did some more research and I believe you are correct, it's simply greediness on Toyota's part having to involve the Dealership or purchasing devices such as the ATEQ TPMS reset tool to accommodate 2 sets of
sensors for summer/winter rims.
Some domestic (Dodge for one) manufacturers have ECU's that automatically senses new tpms sensors
and after driving a short distance learns the new ID codes and resets the system.
Old 11-25-13, 10:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Your other option is to ignore the TPMS warning. I'm not willing to pay for a 2nd set of TMPS sensors and going through the hassles of having them programmed each time I switch between winter and summer sets.
Old 11-25-13, 11:56 AM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Your other option is to ignore the TPMS warning. I'm not willing to pay for a 2nd set of TMPS sensors and going through the hassles of having them programmed each time I switch between winter and summer sets.
I don't balme you. That is a choice. Just be aware that if you had a serious accident and the "computer data" (think "airplane black box") was downloaded - and it showed that you were driving while ignoring a safety warning (the TPMS), the Insurance comapny might reduce or refuse tyo provide you coverage.
I don't know this for sure - just speculating.
Old 11-25-13, 12:29 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mshumack
I don't balme you. That is a choice. Just be aware that if you had a serious accident and the "computer data" (think "airplane black box") was downloaded - and it showed that you were driving while ignoring a safety warning (the TPMS), the Insurance comapny might reduce or refuse tyo provide you coverage.
I don't know this for sure - just speculating.
It's not worth the hassle for an insurance company to deny a claim outright. You're more likely to face a 'reckless driving' (or equivalent) legal charge before a denial. It's easier for them to pay the claim and then raise your rates (and everyone else's in the long term).

They deny your claim, you can first appeal to the board of the company and if not satisfied, take your grievance to the Insurance Commissioner of your state. Not worth it when they are going to get their money back eventually. You rarely see any mention of what it takes for an insurer to deny you coverage.
Old 11-25-13, 11:38 PM
tak06
Driver

I just placed an order for the ATEQ TPMS QUICKSET Tool (http://tpmstools.ca/products/tpms-pe.../ateq-quickset) OBD2 compatible for the RX350 apparently one can change TPMS ID codes from summer/winter wheels with a touch of a button on the device.

Then I discovered that you also require a triggering or activation tool to "awaken" the new TPMS sensor,
if I had of known of more expenditures I wouldn't have placed the initial order.

Does anyone know if triggering is required for our vehicle's sensors?
Old 11-26-13, 02:54 AM
mshumack
Driver

I found this Googling "activating TPMS":

Tire pressure sensors are triggered several ways.
1. VEHICLE MOTION
When the vehicle is in motion over a threshold speed (usually around 15 mpg) the sensors become active and transmit about once a minute.
2. AIR PRESSURE
All TPMS sensors, by design, will respond to changes in air pressure in the tire. When the vehicle is stationary you can manually trigger sensors by Increasing or decreasing air pressure in the tire by 8 to 10 psi.
Old 11-26-13, 06:44 AM
PbPedis
Driver School Candidate

According to my conversation with the local dealership's service advisor, you would need to bring the car in each time the wheels are swapped. This is ridiculous and defeats the purpose of doing the swap yourself for convenience. I just bought a set of winter wheels/tires and decided to skip the sensors for this reason.
Old 11-26-13, 08:40 PM
tak06
Driver

Originally Posted by mshumack
I found this Googling "activating TPMS":

Tire pressure sensors are triggered several ways.
1. VEHICLE MOTION
When the vehicle is in motion over a threshold speed (usually around 15 mpg) the sensors become active and transmit about once a minute.
2. AIR PRESSURE
All TPMS sensors, by design, will respond to changes in air pressure in the tire. When the vehicle is stationary you can manually trigger sensors by Increasing or decreasing air pressure in the tire by 8 to 10 psi.
Thanks, that more or less what the support line rep.at ATEQ told me. He said when having new tires and TPMS sensors installed, have the installer inflate the tires to 40 lb's and then remove
the air valve core for rapid deflation and re inflate to 33 lb's., that should awaken the sensors then use the Ateq Quick reset tool.
Old 11-27-13, 07:16 AM
don460
Driver School Candidate

A couple of things about the LS 460. It has the ability to register 2 sets of TPMS sensors. When you go to register them on your ATEQ Quickset, you will find that you have to put them in to the 600H model in the Quickset otherwise your car will not recognize them. ATEQ says it will update that in their next update. I bought the Quickset ($140.00) after Lexus charged me $129.00 to do it. There is a good video on how to operate the Quickset on (guess where) Youtube.
Old 12-05-13, 01:40 AM
Saltynutz
Driver School Candidate

07-09 rx350 can contain 2 set of tire sensors (main/2nd tpms switch located under rf dash area), since no one really use the feature, lexus got rid of it starting 2010+ Rx350

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor question