RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

USB Port on '14 RXh

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 10:32 AM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB Port on '14 RXh

I have been reading through the posts regarding the iPhone 5, Enform, and BT. I have been able to successfully pair my wife's iPhone 5 via bluetooth. All the phone functions and apps work as advertised. However, when I plug the phone into the USB port it loses its ability to send audio for the enform apps.

What is the USB port for and does it work with the iPhone 5 (iOS 7)? Can I use the apps and iPhone music player through the USB port?
Old 12-22-13, 10:45 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 32GB thumb drive of music in the USB port and that works well.
Old 01-18-14, 11:47 AM
charlesn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confirming the same problem on my '14 450h. USB works fine when I'm playing music stored on my iPhone 5s. But when I try to stream music from Pandora, which is a supported Enform app, I get no audio. Seeing my dealer this week and will report back if they have a solution.
Old 01-18-14, 12:03 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

The USB port works best with devices that are not also Bluetooth connected. iPads, iPods, flashdrives are a nice fit, they charge, display on the screen and are controlled by the steering wheel buttons. If you simple wish to charge your Bluetooth connected device consider using a straight charger from the power socket. As you have all mentioned the symptoms, plugging in the USB supersedes the Bluetooth and causes glitches.
Old 01-18-14, 01:41 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hubby decided that it was better for us to use the Low Profile flash drives (about .5" long) specifically for cars (less chance for us to knock it and mess up the USB connector).

So we are both loading 16GB ones right now. Blue yarn marks his, while pink for mine.
My other normal 2" one was working fine.

Does anyone know a quick way of displaying the entire directory and selecting the album desired?
We tried the voice commands ... sometimes they work, and other times it doesn't understand my hubby's Long Island accent ... LOL
We have also scrolled sequentially through, but that is a pain.

Cheryl

2014 RX450h AWD (day 11 and still reading the stack of manuals)
Old 01-18-14, 02:01 PM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
I have been reading through the posts regarding the iPhone 5, Enform, and BT. I have been able to successfully pair my wife's iPhone 5 via bluetooth. All the phone functions and apps work as advertised. However, when I plug the phone into the USB port it loses its ability to send audio for the enform apps.

What is the USB port for and does it work with the iPhone 5 (iOS 7)? Can I use the apps and iPhone music player through the USB port?
No you can't use the apps music player through the USB port. Have not tried the iTunes .
The BT shuts off in the head unit if something is plugged into the USB. The Apps are BT only
I was told ,and have yet to try it, to use the power outlet to charge - and the BT will work at the same time.
I realize now that when I picked up the car they immediately synced up the phone and avoided talking about the USB.
Old 01-18-14, 02:05 PM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Just use the Pandora app on your iPhone. Works great thru the USB port. All apps on your iPhone work via bluetooth or usb. Usb shows album art and charges the phone. FYI; Spotify is now free for mobile and iTunes radio works very well.
Old 01-18-14, 02:11 PM
Lajick
Driver School Candidate

The Fix :

When you plug your iPhone into the USB.....

On the Phone...

1. From your home screen slide up from the bottom of the screen to access the quick menu.

2. Near the bottom of the menu, where it says AirDrop & Airplay. There are 2 choices, Dock Connector & Car Multimedia.

3. Choose Car Multimedia.

This should fix the problem you are having, plugging the phone into the USB tells the phone its a portable player so it disengages BT-Audio and activates as a dock.
Old 01-18-14, 02:13 PM
Lajick
Driver School Candidate

The above post should work for the apps as well.