RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 09:33 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 89 octane-I find RX "pulls" better on 89, then on 87, and I get no vibration in the steering wheel; on 87 I do get some vibration when accelerating.
Old 03-08-13, 11:13 PM
lexu1350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2013 rx 350 FWD- regular gas thru COSTCO now with 5k miles,did experiment to put Premium gas-no
difference from regular gas,did spent 3 dollars more per full tank,maybe after 60k probably premium
every other full tank if I will remember and put in fuel injector cleaner once a year.
Old 03-10-13, 03:50 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I use Shell 87 octane. My 2012 RX-350-awd runs great on it. I used Sunoco 87 once and the RX didn't seam as energetic. I believe the top tier gas makes a difference.
Old 03-10-13, 08:14 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I use Shell 87 octane. My 2012 RX-350-awd runs great on it. I used Sunoco 87 once and the RX didn't seam as energetic. I believe the top tier gas makes a difference.
Only one way to find out... stick the car on a dyno !
Old 03-10-13, 12:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The whole "top tier" fuel argument is nothing but marketing hype. Do not get caught up in it.

I will, however, agree with you in that some vehicles and engines will prefer one brand over another. Have stated such several times here at Club Lexus over the years based on my driving experiences. I know for a fact that my current RX runs great on BP/Amoco which is not listed as top tier and runs terrible on Exxon/Mobil which is listed.
Old 03-10-13, 03:33 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Some people don't believe that top tier gas makes a difference compared to any brand or no name gas. It does make a big difference,at least in my experience with my '12 RX-350-awd. I use Shell almost all the time. I had to use Citgo on a road trip. The RX did not have the same power. It felt somewhat sluggish. Once I filled it back up with Shell, it was back to great acceleration.
Old 03-10-13, 03:40 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default top tier gas not hype

just wanted to put my two cents in about chevron and shell in particular, i have a ls430 2002. if i use non shell or chevron with regular unleaded in particular i notice the drivetrain is not as smooth as when i use the two gases with the most additives.. i have not been around a bp amoco that gas is good, but exxon and arco and mobil in particular are not on par with chevron and shell
safe driving
Old 03-10-13, 05:08 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The whole "top tier" fuel argument is nothing but marketing hype. Do not get caught up in it.

I will, however, agree with you in that some vehicles and engines will prefer one brand over another. Have stated such several times here at Club Lexus over the years based on my driving experiences. I know for a fact that my current RX runs great on BP/Amoco which is not listed as top tier and runs terrible on Exxon/Mobil which is listed.
My RX "feels" good on most brand names, including local Hess station; I believe that bigger Companies have better control over the fuel quality they deliver; and "smaller" no name stations have less control over the product quality.
It is sort of difficult to see or feel the difference when driving RX, but when I drove old Volvo that required premium fuel, I could definitely feel the difference in gas quality-on cheaper gas I 'd get valve noise going uphill, and the car would not pull at all, and on good Mobil/Exxon/BP gas it would pull just fine and no valve noise. I only used premium on that car;

When driving RX the difference is so little it is difficult to feel, but RX feels "peppier" and less noisy when I fill up w/ 89 grade.
Old 03-10-13, 05:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ls430lover
just wanted to put my two cents in about chevron and shell in particular, i have a ls430 2002. if i use non shell or chevron with regular unleaded in particular i notice the drivetrain is not as smooth as when i use the two gases with the most additives.. i have not been around a bp amoco that gas is good, but exxon and arco and mobil in particular are not on par with chevron and shell
safe driving
Some of which kind of makes my point. Exxon/Mobil are on the list of Top Tier fuels while BP/Amoco are not. There are also a number of other gas stations on the list of Top Tier stations I would never consider using. Top Tier is all about marketing and not about product. Keep in mind that much of this stuff is transmitted along the same pipelines and the only differences are the chemicals and detergents added at the last moment before it goes into the tanker trucks for delivery.

Best to just try various stations to see what your ride likes and stick with it if you can.
Old 04-08-13, 09:17 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone using premium fuel in the 2013 RX 350?

Please do not make this into a regular vs premium fuel war BUT....

I know Lexus says that the 2013 RX 350 does not need premium fuel, but is any current owner of a 2013 RX350 using it anyway? If you are, do you notice any difference?

Again, I am really only interested in the 2013 RX 350, not the older ones where premium was recommended by Lexus.
Old 04-08-13, 09:51 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To what I know

Regular 87 will burn at lower heat, lower compression.

Premium 93 will burn at Higher heat, Higher Compression.

Every new car nowadays, not just RX, Their ECU is made to sense and Retard the timing, or go full advance. The best fuel will be the Fuel which is recommended by the Factory, because that is based on the engineered engine compression.

Let say if you put in Premium for an engine that required Regular, the Timing have to be retarded, Fuel will be wasted more, and the engine lose it efficiency in order to protect itself, from where it was engineered to do.

Vice Versa, if you were to put Regular into an engine that was engineered for Premium, the Computer will have to Advance the timing, and spark fire up earlier, but this will not be enough, and your engine will more likely burn a hole into Itself at higher RPM, and under load.

For all that said in Theory, I do not believe burning Premium in the RX will make it stronger, faster, or more efficient. The most Efficient was engineered, scaled, tested, proved carefully before they print out the Manual for you. :-)

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-08-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 10:08 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES< I get more power from Premium as stated earlier; your ECU adjusts for better gas and gives you more power! I only put it in when going to Las Vegas over Cajon Pass or north over the Grapevine; both well over 4,000 feet so the more power helps against the thinner air at higher altitudes; I get great gas mileage!! I am no longer affiliated with NASCAR, but ask someone who is; they will occasionally have some 110 Octane Racing Fuel left and put it in a car or van; it flies!!! The person is wrong above that thinks engines can't adapt to higher octane and give you more power!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dctex99; 04-08-13 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Education
Old 04-08-13, 05:15 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I just always use Top Tier gas in my '12 RX-350. I mostly use Shell 87 octane as is required for the '12's. I did notice on a long drive once after having to use Citgo the RX didn't accelerate as good.
Old 04-08-13, 07:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I just always use Top Tier gas in my '12 RX-350. I mostly use Shell 87 octane as is required for the '12's. I did notice on a long drive once after having to use Citgo the RX didn't accelerate as good.
While I will agree with you about the possibility of noticing a difference on how your RX ran between two different brands of gasoline, I will argue a bit against the whole "Top Tier" gas subject. Top Tier is nothing but marketing.

In all my years I have found nothing to convince me that the detergents found in one brand of Top Tier gasoline, such as Kwik Trip which is listed as a Top Tier, is any better than what is found in say BP/Amoco which is not Top Tier.
Old 04-08-13, 08:27 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i noticed a difference when using Evian vs Aquafina when handwashing the RX. LOL!
kidding aside, the best way to determine a unbiased result is to do a Blind study and this should be done over time.
The owner/driver should have no clue if the tank he's driving has regular/mid grade/premium gasoline.

Quick Reply: What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?