RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 11:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
FYI;;in Southern California there is only ONE Sams Club with no gas station; serving 6 million people; two others closed years ago; never been a Sams Club station that I have heard of.
There are plenty of Sam's Club with gas stations in SoCal. Just none in the San Diego region. I counted 12 or more just in the LA and surrounding areas.
Old 01-13-14, 12:47 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
FYI;;in Southern California there is only ONE Sams Club with no gas station; serving 6 million people; two others closed years ago; never been a Sams Club station that I have heard of.
In my case Costco Gas is before the Costco store so very easy to fill up and leave without shopping!!! This is the general design of others in San Diego as well as other suburbs!
Sorry you are convinced all gas is the same; maybe my Tag Heuer is just another cheap watch too...lol
The nearest Costco here requires you to drive around to the far side of the complex to the gas pumps. No direct route to the pumps from the main road. Sam's Clubs with gas -- much like with Costco we have loads of them here in the South. Don't remember seeing either in recent memory that did not have gas. Though, I am sure many of the old stores where closed and new ones opened with more space to accommodate the pumps and underground tanks.

As for saying all gas is the same, where do you get me saying that in any of my statements? I talked about the base being much the same and that is very much true within a region. But that is far from saying the final products are all the same. Much of what I discussed pertained only to Top Tier and detergents. In my many years I can honestly say that some vehicles I have owned definitely ran better on one brand over another. Those vehicles sure knew the difference. But in the long run there is little to no evidence that using a non Top Tier fuel is going to cause you problems. In my example I pointed out how BP/AMOCO for years was not a Top Tier fuel and I doubt there are many who would state their gas was garbage. I would rather see cflutist using Costco premium in her RX450h, and especially at those prices, when compared to regular 87 octane from a Top Tier station.

Finally... yes, your TAG Heuer is a cheap watch when compared to others on the market. It is also probably less practical than many others as well. You probably would not wash or work on your RX, such as installing new brake pads, wearing your TAG. It is all a matter of perspective.
Old 01-13-14, 04:05 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone makes their own decisions when it comes to gas purchases; after years in the automotive/oil industry, I have determined the best gas is usually the cheapest; you never know if you are getting premium gas when you think you are, since many station owners put regular in the premium tank, and figure they wont get caught.
sure I can afford to put premium in all of my cars, but the cost vs return equation just never works out.
I ran premium in my 2012 MDX since that's what they insisted upon, but, once switching to regular, I only lost 1 mpg, and the car ran the same.
Mountain driving, and super performance driving might be an exception, but if you live in the city or suburbs, and put premium in this vehicle, you are only making the station owners a little richer..
and, BTW, even though premium is now 40 cents a gallon higher in Chicago than regular, it doesn't cost the station owner 40 cents more a gallon...
Old 01-13-14, 04:14 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sounds like fun!
A lot off topic but....Turned out pretty good ggebhardt...going to SAMs tonight Ribeyes reverse sear with homemade Vidalia onion rings and deep fried mushrooms. BBQn is my other hobby with a couple Webers. Home Theatre is my other.
Attached Thumbnails What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?-image.jpg  
Old 01-13-14, 04:23 AM
wase4711
Rookie

quit posting stuff like this; you make my stomach growl!!
Old 01-13-14, 04:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 516 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Browninggo
A lot off topic but....Turned out pretty good ggebhardt...going to SAMs tonight Ribeyes reverse sear with homemade Vidalia onion rings and deep fried mushrooms. BBQn is my other hobby with a couple Webers. Home Theatre is my other.
That image really hurt! I am trying to loose a few pounds and lost control and drooled on my shirt!

Yummy!

Glad to see this change of subject as 4 more pages of what kind of fuel to use is a little crazy!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 01-13-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 08:31 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The nearest Costco here requires you to drive around to the far side of the complex to the gas pumps. No direct route to the pumps from the main road. Sam's Clubs with gas -- much like with Costco we have loads of them here in the South. Don't remember seeing either in recent memory that did not have gas. Though, I am sure many of the old stores where closed and new ones opened with more space to accommodate the pumps and underground tanks.

As for saying all gas is the same, where do you get me saying that in any of my statements? I talked about the base being much the same and that is very much true within a region. But that is far from saying the final products are all the same. Much of what I discussed pertained only to Top Tier and detergents. In my many years I can honestly say that some vehicles I have owned definitely ran better on one brand over another. Those vehicles sure knew the difference. But in the long run there is little to no evidence that using a non Top Tier fuel is going to cause you problems. In my example I pointed out how BP/AMOCO for years was not a Top Tier fuel and I doubt there are many who would state their gas was garbage. I would rather see cflutist using Costco premium in her RX450h, and especially at those prices, when compared to regular 87 octane from a Top Tier station.

Finally... yes, your TAG Heuer is a cheap watch when compared to others on the market. It is also probably less practical than many others as well. You probably would not wash or work on your RX, such as installing new brake pads, wearing your TAG. It is all a matter of perspective.
you install your OWN brake pads...ooooo..sounds like a dirty job. and Yes, I own MUCH better watches than my Tags, but wear them as a daily watch or a Tissot!!
Old 02-12-14, 06:14 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only filled up my '14 RX350 twice and each time I have used the mid grade. I will probably stick with this as I like to eek out every bit of performance as possible and if mpg improves, that is a side benefit.
Old 02-13-14, 04:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
We fill our RX350 with 87 and have no plan to use anything else. Gasoline is very expensive here in the People Republic of California.
LOL, great one sir!
Old 08-04-14, 09:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default tried 89 octane in my 2015

hi everybody. i am not trying to start another octane war here. but just going to give my observations using 89 octane. another club lexus member mentioned this on another thread and it got me thinking. he said it states in the manual (which i confirmed) to use 87 octane or higher. over the weekend i was below half a tank and when i stopped to fuel up, i decided what the heck. i will try the mid grade. if it doesnt run any different, or get any better millage, i will simple go back to 87. well almost immediately after leaving the station... (now keep in mind this could be the placebo affect) i noticed a smoother engine, more "kick" throttle response and the fuel millage is almost 1 mile more to the gallon! that is not bad,and for only .20 cents more per gallon, and if the millage stays higher like it is so far. and runs smoother, i will probably continue to use it. just thought i would share, but so far the rx seems to be benefiting from it. they possible left some room for timing increase on the higher octane? i`ll keep you posted on how this goes.

rm
Old 08-04-14, 11:34 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're paying 20 cents extra to go one mile further, you're not getting your money's worth!
Old 08-04-14, 01:00 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

i dont know if i agree with that Nimimi. anyway, i do like the better (even though it is slight) smoother engine performance.
Old 08-04-14, 01:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is the basis of your theory, why not go up to 91 or 93? Know you're not trying to start an 'octane war' but using a higher grade than what's needed will not give you any notificable benefit to justify the extra expense. But if it's a placebo and you feel like you're getting your money's worth, then by all means.

Realistically though, a half a tank of slighter higher octane didn't do much. Was cooler out this weekend so that could have given you a smoother experience.
Old 08-04-14, 03:42 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice the difference between 87 and 93 as well. Lexus114 is not wrong - I do also feel the lag in using 87 after having it filled with 93, or vice-versa. Now it was designed for 87 and will run fine, higher octane is for personal preference.

For my wife, 93-97-55 would not make a difference on any car. But from owning an sit, prelude and other cars...ive seen way to many dyno variations just with use of different gas stations alone. Even on stock cars.

Ill run a Dyno next time my car goes to the shop. Would be interesting to see though.
Old 08-05-14, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by niklow
I notice the difference between 87 and 93 as well. Lexus114 is not wrong - I do also feel the lag in using 87 after having it filled with 93, or vice-versa. Now it was designed for 87 and will run fine, higher octane is for personal preference.

For my wife, 93-97-55 would not make a difference on any car. But from owning an sit, prelude and other cars...ive seen way to many dyno variations just with use of different gas stations alone. Even on stock cars.

Ill run a Dyno next time my car goes to the shop. Would be interesting to see though.

Thanks, i`m glad someone else notices this as well.

Quick Reply: What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?