RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 12:25 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 414 Likes on 330 Posts

We have been running 87 octane from the same BJ's Club pumps for nearly 20 years now. No fuel-quality issues with any of our current or previous vehicles.

I do pour a 20-ounce bottle of Chevron Techron down the hatch every time I do an oil & filter change on all of our vehicles.

Last edited by RX in NC; 04-22-20 at 04:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
cookie4u (04-21-20), UZ214 (04-21-20)
Old 04-21-20, 01:58 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

This is one way to look at things! and this is a bit of tunnel vision.
There are other things to consider and if your ONLY aim to to save money on gas, then absolutely follow this advice, also if you are going to keep your car for 3 yrs or less.
If OTOH you are going to keep you car longer there are other things to consider:
1) What was the octane when the car was tested, one would have to dig to find out and by what I've heard it never is 87 octane, but 91 or higher
2) In the owner's manual it says 87 octane may be used, view this as a warning NOT to go below, at the pump the octane shown is an average in the tank, there is no warning for higher octane.
3) Premium gas contains more additives to keep your fuel system and valves clean and offer better combustion.

There may be more, but this is all I can thing at the moment.

Everyone can do whatever they want, but just as in most car it doesn't say premium recommended neither does it say 87 octane recommended
The following users liked this post:
UZ214 (04-21-20)
Old 04-21-20, 02:22 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
There are other things to consider and if your ONLY aim to to save money on gas, then absolutely follow this advice, also if you are going to keep your car for 3 yrs or less.
If OTOH you are going to keep you car longer there are other things to consider:
1) What was the octane when the car was tested, one would have to dig to find out and by what I've heard it never is 87 octane, but 91 or higher
2) In the owner's manual it says 87 octane may be used, view this as a warning NOT to go below, at the pump the octane shown is an average in the tank, there is no warning for higher octane.
3) Premium gas contains more additives to keep your fuel system and valves clean and offer better combustion.

There may be more, but this is all I can thing at the moment.

Everyone can do whatever they want, but just as in most car it doesn't say premium recommended neither does it say 87 octane recommended
Sorry man, absolute garbage! That is not how it works.
Old 04-21-20, 04:11 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Sorry man, absolute garbage! That is not how it works.
So pray tell us how does it work?
Old 04-22-20, 07:12 AM
iolmaster
Racer

So pray tell us how does it work?
Please see the attached link. It explains why there is no advantage to do what you are suggesting. It comes from the FTC. I know you are Canadian but that stands for Federal Trade Commission. There are many more studies out there also. One from Consumer Reports. They all come to the same conclusion. "Premium" is of no value unless you have a high compression engine. The RX350 does not. There are not more detergents or anything else in Premium vs. Regular. It is all about volatility.
Old 04-22-20, 07:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Please see the attached link. It explains why there is no advantage to do what you are suggesting. It comes from the FTC. I know you are Canadian but that stands for Federal Trade Commission. There are many more studies out there also. One from Consumer Reports. They all come to the same conclusion. "Premium" is of no value unless you have a high compression engine. The RX350 does not. There are not more detergents or anything else in Premium vs. Regular. It is all about volatility.
It depends how you read the "tests" one can look with tunnel vision as that test did or a panoramic view as to how it effects other things.
If the car was set to run on 87 how come that the computer cannot compensate for a lesser octane? The computer can only compensate so much and the reason why it cannot go lower than 87 is because it was set for 91. Now one can do whatever one wants.
I remember a test that show that if 1 of 2 people ate 2 chickens the test showed that each had 1.
Old 04-24-20, 10:56 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

by what I've heard it never is 87 octane, but 91 or higher
Citation?

In the owner's manual it says 87 octane may be used, view this as a warning NOT to go below, at the pump the octane shown is an average in the tank, there is no warning for higher octane.
That does not mean that there is a benefit to higher octane for a vehicle not designed for it.

Premium gas contains more additives to keep your fuel system and valves clean and offer better combustion.
Again, citation? Top tier covers additives and one can do as mentioned above and include a bottle of Techron or similar. Octane and addtitives are not the same thing.

Last edited by takeshi74; 04-24-20 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tus (04-26-20)
Old 04-25-20, 11:43 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This is getting to sound like an argument about whether a sports car should be red or black. The engine computer will adjust timing. You will therefore lose a bit of peak HP and a bit of fuel economy as the timing is retarded a bit. Nothing else changes. Do what lets you sleep better at night.
Old 04-25-20, 12:25 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by riredale
This is getting to sound like an argument about whether a sports car should be red or black. The engine computer will adjust timing. You will therefore lose a bit of peak HP and a bit of fuel economy as the timing is retarded a bit. Nothing else changes. Do what lets you sleep better at night.
Once again, not true. You guys are just not picking up what we are saying. Yes, if you have a knock that is a result of octane that is too low the knock sensor will retard the spark. The bottom line is, if your engine is not designed to run on higher octane fuel (higher compression ratio) putting higher octane fuel in an engine that is not designed to use it gains nothing. You can put high octane fuel into an engine that is designed (lower compression ratio) all the time and it will not, I repeat not, give you more power or better gas mileage. The higher octane fuel is less volatile. I think it best this be my last post concerning this subject.
The following 2 users liked this post by iolmaster:
Elofeye (08-17-23), tus (04-26-20)
Old 04-26-20, 05:48 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I understand; what I was assuming was an engine that recommended premium. Cheers.
Old 02-22-21, 10:14 PM
Johnny919
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Octane Rating

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I am in the process of trying to get my mother a car and i'm leaning towards a 3rd generation RX 350. I was wondering what the minimum recommended requirement was as far as fuel is for the 3rd gen rx 350. I've looked online and came across this website...

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...xus-vehicle%3F

Can anyone explain to me how a 2012-2015 is recommended 87, while 2007-2011 is rated at 91? Aren't they the same engine?

Thanks for your time!
John
Old 02-23-21, 04:46 PM
Ranga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was informed by my dealer that from 2013 onwards the grade has been dropped to regular , but prior to that all the RX models used premium Hope that helps !
Old 02-24-21, 05:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

It is the same engine in all model years and you can run regular gas in all 2010 - 2015 RX350 vehicles. You just lose a few horsepower. Many of us run 87 octane. It will not hurt anything and you will not notice the difference except in your wallet. Read more of this thread for more information.

Toyota only specified premium so they could say it had more power than the Toyota (5 horsepower).
Old 08-12-23, 08:19 PM
matthevvmendoza
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX 350 Gas

Which gas do I use for 2015 RX 350? Regular or Premium? Does it matter which one I use?
Old 08-13-23, 04:35 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 414 Likes on 330 Posts

The 2015 RX runs just fine on regular 87 octane gas. It does not require premium.

Quick Reply: What fuel grade is everyone using on their 2012-2015 RX?