RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rattle Rear - Appears to be suspension - Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14 | 09:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Unhappy Rattle Rear - Appears to be suspension - Video

This bad squeaking, loose rattling and (sometimes) banging noise from the left rear started happening about a couple weeks ago. I've removed all interior panels, even the exterior bumper thinking there was something loose and nothing. I suspect as a last resort it has to be the suspension despite the car having only 17k km.

What is strange is the rattle increases in sound volume and occurs more often the longer you drive and also if temperatures get colder.

In other words, if I have the car parked in my garage overnight (slightly above 0 C) and immediately drive next morning into sub-freezing temps and on bumpy roads, you don't hear it. But after 5-10 minutes of driving, you start to hear it and gets louder and more frequent.

Searched other threads and some have reported the shock as the problem for 2010/2011 models, but none had any sound or video to compare.

What do you guys think? The video shows how bad it is.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-08-14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-08-14 | 10:29 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Gee that sounds really bad.. will it be related to the accident you had earlier? that someone backed up and hit the back end of your f-sport?
Old 02-09-14 | 04:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by wilchan
Gee that sounds really bad.. will it be related to the accident you had earlier? that someone backed up and hit the back end of your f-sport?
That's always been in the back of my mind and thought for sure there was something loose due to a possible poor repair that's now haunting me. That's why I took apart the entire interior rear trunk floor and left panel, and also removed the ML sub. I took out the bumper and also found nothing except a vent which was slightly loose in its place and I thought that must be it as it made a somewhat rattle and squeak noise. I glued it on tight and issue still present. I ruled out all interior trim so only thing left is the suspension. The accident occurred almost a year ago and no rattle throughout the remaining winter last year and into this year up until now. The hit was also only limited to the end of the quarter panel and bumper. The wheel and suspension was fully intact. All that was done as a precaution was a 4-wheel alignment.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is an interesting one...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-09-14 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-09-14 | 06:26 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

The sound is real bad. Why's not bring it to the dealership while the car is still under warranty?
Bring the video just in case they can't hear the noise.
Old 02-09-14 | 10:56 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
This bad squeaking, loose rattling and (sometimes) banging noise from the left rear started happening about a couple weeks ago. I've removed all interior panels, even the exterior bumper thinking there was something loose and nothing. I suspect as a last resort it has to be the suspension despite the car having only 17k km.

What is strange is the rattle increases in sound volume and occurs more often the longer you drive and also if temperatures get colder.

In other words, if I have the car parked in my garage overnight (slightly above 0 C) and immediately drive next morning into sub-freezing temps and on bumpy roads, you don't hear it. But after 5-10 minutes of driving, you start to hear it and gets louder and more frequent.

Searched other threads and some have reported the shock as the problem for 2010/2011 models, but none had any sound or video to compare.

What do you guys think? The video shows how bad it is.

http://youtu.be/F_R9nT-yYFY

have you checked the spare tire? if you think shocks are the problem, just drive VERY slowly over a bump and you will hear a thump. but from the sound of your video, I suspect it's a loose spare tire.
Old 02-09-14 | 11:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
The sound is real bad. Why's not bring it to the dealership while the car is still under warranty?
Bring the video just in case they can't hear the noise.
It's my last resort because I want to eliminate any chance it's something loose due to the accident since the last thing I want is for them to spend days on this, give me a loaner, then to find out it's not something under warranty

Originally Posted by felix168
have you checked the spare tire? if you think shocks are the problem, just drive VERY slowly over a bump and you will hear a thump. but from the sound of your video, I suspect it's a loose spare tire.
The rattle is coming from the wheel well area. The car is virtually stripped down in the trunk save for the spare which is tightly bolted down.

On smooth roads, no rattle or noises. On rough roads, it's not consistent. Then temp seems to also play a factor. I'll have to try and pay close attention to a speed bump...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-09-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-09-14 | 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Found Root Cause - Rear Hatch!!!

With my wife driving and myself in the trunk, I found the rattle noise coming from the rear door since the moment I pushed against it, rattle stopped.

It's amazing how fooled I was into thinking the sound eminated from the wheel well!

I put some 3M hockey tape on the rear latch and knock on wood the rattle did not appear in my test drive afterwards.
Old 02-09-14 | 06:48 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Good job CorradoMR2!! post some DIY fix on that too..