RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rock Damage to Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 09:55 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Damage to Hood

Yesterday 2013 RX350 6K miles got hit by a rock (not stone not pebble) kicked up by a truck going in opposite direction. Hit the hood first then the windshield ( with a loud POW!).

The hood has 2 gouges one about 2 inches long the other less. Both are down to bare metal. Paint is star fire agate. I will get it repaired. What is usual procedure - "touch up" , repair a small area of hood or does the entire hood need to be repainted. Cost?

I have a clear bra on from of hood, and now understand why some people do the whole hood.

Amazingly, I could not find any new chip in windshield. I already have several chips in windshield (AZ roads are tough on glass) and it hit in middle on passenger side, with my wife sitting there. I feel lucky it didn't shatter. Strangely enough, I had it in of 12 month service and asked dealer if the windshield was soft because I caused a few scratches when I scraped ice off it while in some snow in UT.

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-15-14, 03:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

From what you describe, I doubt the clear bra would have avoided all damage and there would likely still have been some. I hate these clear bras but to each his own.

Without seeing the damage, it is hard to determine if that area can be fixed or if the whole hood needs to be done. I have seen some great repairs from "gifted" repair people, so who knows.
Old 02-15-14, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

If you have a little DIY in you, for $15$ + your Lexus Touch Up Pen, I recommend Turtle Wax Scratch repair kit. I've used it a few times, as recent as on my IS and turned out great. Low risk/cost trying this, and worst case, you don't like it, you get it professionally done anyway.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wax...l-Kit/16767853

Another good one I've heard is Dr ColorChip but I haven't used this one. Both repair kits have had some people state the finish was poor, but if you have a good hand and attention to detail, you can get a 99% perfect finish.

Google How-To videos for an easy step-by-step.

If you do go the body shop repair route, from the sound of your damage, they will likely recommend painting the whole hood which could be 300-500$ depending on local markets, body shop, etc. I've gotten all major accident repairs done at Carstar and although good, like any paint shop, double-check the finish is perfectly smooth and dust-free. I've had them re-buff (wet-sand) some of the paint job since dust specks were visibly stuck on the paint.

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-15-14 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-16-14, 08:47 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Thanks Corrado
I have used Dr ColorChip on wife's 02 ES. She does not have a clear bra (on car) and the front end (on car) had road rash - lots of chips. It was acceptable for HER car, but I have been obsessive about the RX and want to return it to pristine. I had used a touch up kit years about on an MB, and it was great - filled in the depth of the scratch and the clear coat finished it off perfect. Can't remember or find the product.

You idea that someone could fix my attempt if I don't like it, is a good approach
Thanks
Joe
Old 02-16-14, 09:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry to hear. My IS300 got hit by a rock the same way, but on the driver door. Had to get the whole side repainted. I would say, a repaint job for the hood is in order.
Old 02-16-14, 10:02 AM
HDD
Driver School Candidate

Your best bet, without looking at pictures and what you described is to, get the whole hood repainted. Any touch up is going to standout depending on angle of view and light. Report the incident to your auto insurance and let them take care of it.
Old 02-17-14, 08:57 AM
AZJoe
Driver

I have a high deductible, so repair is out of pocket.
May try touchup from http://www.paintscratch.com
They have primer, base coat, clear coat
The scratches are on top of hood, one is to bare metal and are very noticeable.
I anticipate a less than perfect finish ... If I do a complete hood clear bra do you think it would hide some imperfections.

I need to get back on my OCD meds.... I'm spending to much time in this
Old 02-17-14, 09:04 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZJoe
I anticipate a less than perfect finish ... If I do a complete hood clear bra do you think it would hide some imperfections.

It is clear.

John
Old 02-17-14, 10:29 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJoe

Unless you will go with a non-transparent film, it will be visible. Time to visit a body shop.
Old 02-17-14, 11:03 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I had a piece of metal fly off of a truck in front of me when my 2012 IS350C had about 8K miles and my comp insurance took care of it. The hood on the ISC is aluminum the body shop did a good job fixing the dent but the paint had to be redone twice.
Attached Thumbnails Rock Damage to Hood-is350-damage-pics-003-800x531-.jpg   Rock Damage to Hood-is350-damage-pics-011-800x531-.jpg  
Old 02-19-14, 10:31 AM
AZJoe
Driver

No dent on mine, just the scratch down to the metal

I thought about clear bra over doing my own touch up repair, assuming that clear bra might hide some minor defects by the nature of its thick film

Found this interesting scratch repair on an MB

Old 02-19-14, 06:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Nice expert video.