RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450 -Pro&con need your input

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 02:52 PM
timmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 RX450
Pros: Very nimble steering, great gas mileage, ac runs on electric if stopped, zero mechanical problems with this one and previous RX400, excellent acceleration if needed.
Cons: The console between driver and passenger takes up a lot of room compared to the RX400. Even less rear and side visibility compared to 400. You really have to check blind spots behind driver side before switching lanes. Hate the mouse control for the GPS/ Radio. Once you have touchscreen like the GX460 you will never go back.
Old 07-02-14, 11:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Pros:
1) Powertrain. Love the Toyota PSD technology. This is as close as one can get to an electric vehicle at a reasonable price. This is not your typical run-of-the-mill CVT. Technically, there is no transmission, as there are 2 electric motors and gasoline engine both directly connected through a planetary gearset and working perfectly with each other. It is very linear. Some may feel faster acceleration with non-linear fixed transmissions, e.g. RX350, which in reality is just a matter of perception.
2) Comfort. It is a great cruiser vehicle. I call it a couch on wheels. This is a place to get your rest. In our hectic lives, this is a great escape place. Hybrid makes it extra quiet, especially with ICE off.
3) Reliability. Being a family cruiser, this vehicle cannot have any downtime.
4) Fun to drive. It will peel off from traffic lights almost as fast as some sport sedans. VDIM is tuned beautifully, so its engagement is very transparent. Most drivers are not even aware of it working.
5) Features. The real wood interior treatment. Soft touch surfaces. Ventilated and heated seats. Battery saver function, which is great for doors left ajar or trunk being open.

Cons:
1) Ergonomics. WTF is the AC button? Why is there a redundant Fan-Off button, but no AC button? Why do I have to go into the Nav menus to check my AC settings each time I drive in mild weather? Why block just about every useful feature out of the Nav while moving, yet forcing me to scroll through menus for something very basic. This is what happens when the product team is located in sunny California or Texas.
2) Platform. When Lexus conceived the original RX crossover, they went with their best-selling sedan platform (Camry). This allowed for cost-savings and 2WD FWD models, but negatively affected the vehicle handling and balance. All of the weight rides in the front and rear engagement is very limited. It is particularly disappointing when driving in the deep snow at high speed. The AWD model becomes a basic FWD vehicle. It just doesn't drive the same as better AWD offerings, such as a Subaru. For same reasons, BMW X5 and Audi Q5 are more engaging to drive. But, who buys an SUV and expects great handling? Torque steer can be pretty annoying for me personally. It is very noticeable under hard acceleration and changing direction. I am more sensitive to it due to having a DD RWD.
3) Navigation. $2,700 waste of money. You get 90's tech at 90's price. I can't stand that thing. And joystick... really? Everything is blocked while moving. Maps are 2D only, which forces me to slow down in complex junctions, trying to get my bearings. I love my old TomTom. Just a quick glance and I know where to go. I am far less likely to miss a turn with TomTom. Voice recognition is a joke. Don't even bother. If I need it, Siri on my iPhone will do everything I need. In many cases, I end up using my phone instead. Traffic on the phone is an extra bonus.
4) Features. Some are just an after-thought. This is the case with rain-sensing wipers. Again, people from California must have conjured them up. They work absolutely great 80% of the time. However, when driving on salted roads, spraying windshield washer fluid does not trigger them to go off. Where's the stalk position for a single swipe? Oh, yes, right above the off position. But the wipers are in the Auto, below the off. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a button for the swipe instead? Or button to spray and pull for swipe. That's what other Toyota vehicles already do. And for those not happy with the auto, why not give them intermittent option as well? The headlights on 2013+ do not go off automatically in ON or P position, only in Auto. They will run down the battery to the point where the battery saver function will turn them (along with everything?) off. Why not leave-it-be, as it has been for the past couple decades? Listening to the stereo in the ACC mode is no longer an option. Auto off function turns off ACC every 20 minutes. A big annoyance while trying to work on the car. We also lost the sunglasses holder to the tracking device. I have no use for the latter, but would love not having to resort to the glove box for sunglasses storage.
5) Apps. It often took as long to get the music streaming as it did for me to get to work. Multiple system reboots and clicks through menus. It is great that Pandora is free to us, but I don't use it anymore. It is too much of a hassle. Good 'ol MP3s on a USB drive work well.