RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

security question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 04:50 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
Does the fob signal change everytime you hit it?Are does it send out same code?
It gets a bit more complicated than changing code. Scanners can crack rolling codes. I believe the most secure system is the one that uses dialogue between the fob and car to set the next code sequence. I'm not sure that the stock system is. There are some places in the world where not having a extra security measurements is a gift for thieves.

The main problem is how common the OEM system is. It needs to be cracked once to affect all of models of a manufacturer.

It would be good to know how they penetrated the system to plan for it.
Old 02-28-14, 07:30 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is an article on the topic:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...ith-black-box/

Old 02-28-14, 08:05 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
wow great find thx
Old 02-28-14, 08:06 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vlad_a
It gets a bit more complicated than changing code. Scanners can crack rolling codes. I believe the most secure system is the one that uses dialogue between the fob and car to set the next code sequence. I'm not sure that the stock system is. There are some places in the world where not having a extra security measurements is a gift for thieves.

The main problem is how common the OEM system is. It needs to be cracked once to affect all of models of a manufacturer.

It would be good to know how they penetrated the system to plan for it.
So bringing the car to dealer you think is a waste of time?
Old 02-28-14, 08:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

So bringing the car to dealer you think is a waste of time?
Pretty much. There is no defect to fix. You could stop by, just in case.
Or call 800-25-LEXUS number.
Old 02-28-14, 08:36 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

maybe i might need oil change anyway lol
Old 03-04-14, 05:42 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

I stopped by lexus and they said there is not much they can do :mad
Old 03-05-14, 06:09 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stopped by lexus and they said there is not much they can do :mad
As Vlad said: there is no defect to fix. Don't know if someoone got your code and even if they did, they can get it again using the same method. But more than likely the vehicle was unlocked.

Don't feel bad, it happened to me last night. Been driving my GS all week and went to the Rx yesterday to find the trays from the glove box sitting on my drivers seat. I don't keep anything in the Rx so there was nothing to take but they did a pretty thorough search. Glove compartment stays locked.

But yeah, was pretty pissed knowing someone had their hands invside touching stuff. Went to car wash this morning to get the interior clearned, just cause.

Having two car with two extreme locking sequences (complete to none) is frustrating as my GS has made me very complacent in double checking vehicle security. Won't happen again though so I am grateful for the event for only that reason.
Old 03-05-14, 08:15 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
nightdiff, I'm glad there wasn't any damage to your RX. I saw reports on the news last night/this morning about how thieves are stealing rims and leaving cars on blocks in one section of NY. Now you mentioned neighbors said it's rampant. Was anyone else victimized the same night? Any cameras in the area? Chances are they'll be caught. In the meantime, make sure the RX is locked and don't keep valuables inside.
Don't know if they really work or not, but our car came with McGard wheel locks as installed equipment that Lexus charged us $81 for.

Sorry that this happened to OP. It particularly annoys me that criminals think they can just take things that we work so hard for. Please don't leave anything of value or things that could possibly contain things of value (especially in plain sight) in your vehicle. We see many vehicle burglaries (while volunteering for the Crime Analysis Unit of our local PD) with MOE of "Smash and Grab" for backpacks/gymbags that can contain laptops or dirty gym clothes. If the later, then we are stuck with the insurance deductible for the window repair.
Old 03-05-14, 08:47 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

it was in my driveway .I was wondering if there is way to set the alarm so it automatically sets and locks door say after 15 mins if you forget to set it manually.
Before I retired I had this happen on a Ford Expedition that was parked at the airport. The car was locked but they got into it without any sign of forced entry. After that all my cars had a simple add on system that passively locks the doors and sets the alarm 30 seconds after exiting the car and closing the doors. The system was an Automate AM1 http://automatecarsecurity.com/Produ.../6000/AM1.aspx

I had 4 incidents of break ins. Twice they smashed a front window. With the AM1 the shock sensor set the alarm off.

It's a simple installation and uses the factory remote.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-05-14 at 08:51 AM.