RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

safe for car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 11:42 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't leave anything in my vehicle at a gym. It is all too easy for someone to be watching people arrive and then go in. They know they have at least 1/2 hour to 1 hour to either steal the vehicle or burglarize it.

Anything, even a bag containing gym clothes, looks like a possible target. It could just as well contain a laptop - the thieves don't know, so they just steal it anyway.

I wouldn't even want to take my Lexus there - I'd take a down-to-its-last-gasp beater mobile.

Ernie
Old 03-01-14, 12:30 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Consider gunvault's microvault. I have no experience with nano vault already mentioned, but micro vault has both buttons and a key. If battery fails then you got the key. Some reviewers had issues with the buttons but I have not. Opens fast and a 9v battery lasted about 1.5 yrs in Nevada desert...that's good in my book. I can open about 20 times when the battery warning starts before it goes dead. Go to a sporting goods store or safe store/ locksmith to look at a few models & see what you like.
Old 03-01-14, 01:16 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by websailor
I wouldn't leave anything in my vehicle at a gym. It is all too easy for someone to be watching people arrive and then go in. They know they have at least 1/2 hour to 1 hour to either steal the vehicle or burglarize it.

Anything, even a bag containing gym clothes, looks like a possible target. It could just as well contain a laptop - the thieves don't know, so they just steal it anyway.

I wouldn't even want to take my Lexus there - I'd take a down-to-its-last-gasp beater mobile.

Ernie
well the gym lockers are more dangerous and dont want to switch gyms because it is one of the few 24 hour gyms around me.i work rotating shifts,and the car got broking into in my driveway after i forgot wallet in car after gym,
Old 03-01-14, 01:19 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eveRX
I would suggest you place your wallet, etc. in the compartment when you leave your house and not when you've arrived at the gym. I do this when I go shopping, I place things in the back before heading to my next stop, that way I'm not opening the hatch when I'm parking and walking away from my car.
i thought about that but now my wallet is hatch if i get pulled over,kinda of pain in ***
Old 03-01-14, 03:22 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

I prefer to keep my "wallet" in a place where I can get my hands on it in a split second. A "wallet" do one no good if they can't get to it when needed. I would eagerly chance it's thief for the advantage of having it in the vehicle at all times.
Old 03-01-14, 03:35 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
well the gym lockers are more dangerous and dont want to switch gyms because it is one of the few 24 hour gyms around me.i work rotating shifts,and the car got broking into in my driveway after i forgot wallet in car after gym,
Is it possible to park safely several (3-4) blocks away and walk to the gym? Any car in a gym parking lot (at least around here) might as well have an "Easy Target" painted on it.

Agreed though that the gym lockers are even worse! You'd think the people at the front desk wouldn't be allowing non-patrons to just walk on by, but they do...and don't even notice when they come walking out a minute later with a purse on their shoulder.....must be thinking "a very short workout" I guess.

Ernie
Old 03-01-14, 05:17 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by websailor
Is it possible to park safely several (3-4) blocks away and walk to the gym? Any car in a gym parking lot (at least around here) might as well have an "Easy Target" painted on it.

Agreed though that the gym lockers are even worse! You'd think the people at the front desk wouldn't be allowing non-patrons to just walk on by, but they do...and don't even notice when they come walking out a minute later with a purse on their shoulder.....must be thinking "a very short workout" I guess.

Ernie
Should mention that hubby Websailor and I both volunteer at the local PD in the Crime Analysis Unit so we are reading/analyzing crime reports (written by the officers) all day long. We see a number of Vehicle Burglaries in Gym parking lots, but also Commercial Burglaries of Gym lockers too. The good news is that there are very few Lexus car thefts (and a LOT of Hondas in our city of 124K).
Old 03-02-14, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

When I hit the gym I only take my license, CC and key fob. I don't carry any cash and the other junk in my wallet are not needed. I drop the license, CC and my key fob into a zippered pocket in my workout shorts and I'm good to go. I leave nothing in the car. My RX does have a very well hidden pair of "secret" compartments under the console but I leave nothing anyway.

My LA Fitness center has several small personal lockers up front in plain view of the check-in staff, as well as the larger lockers in the locker room. It would be very obvious to the staff at the front desk if someone were attempting to break into one of those small lockers as they are 10 feet from the staffed check-in.