RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stow Tonneau/luggage cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 12:29 PM
aem8612
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stow Tonneau/luggage cover?

Newbie here. Just bought 2014 RX 350. Acct mother-in-law uses walker and we transport it in the cargo space, don't want Tonneau luggage cover in place in the cargo area (on its rack) as it consumes too much room. Any ideas on how to store it? It doesn't appear that there's a dedicated space for it inside the vehicle. However, would like to keep it in the vehicle if feasible. I'm thinking I'll want to buy a "long sleeve" into which to store it in the cargo area; the sleeve in order to keep it free from scratches. However, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-01-14, 01:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Unfortunately, underfloor storage is one feature we miss in the 3rd Gen RX compared to the 2nd Gen.

However, I just thought of a possible spot. I will check when wifey returns soon with the RX. Fingers crossed since I just have it stashed in my garage.
Old 03-01-14, 02:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Well it unfortunately doesn't fit by about 2 inches in length beneath the carpeting behind the rear seats.
Attached Thumbnails Stow Tonneau/luggage cover?-rxcover.jpg  
Old 03-01-14, 03:06 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

I removed the luggage cover the first day with no regrets. My windows are tinted and I also keep a blanket in the back to cover things from prying eyes. The cover just gets in the way for me. I understand you wanting to keep it but it does re-install quickly if you decide to remove it.
Old 03-01-14, 06:33 PM
aem8612
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks, CorradoMR2 and ggebhardt! The simplest solution is probably yours, Greg. Wrap it in a dark colored blanket and keep it in the car. The blanket keeps it from being scratched and dinged and is available to be unfurled if I need to cover an item or two from prying eyes. Recover the Tonneau with the blanket after returning home. Sounds like a simple solution to me, not expensive, and a triple-whammy: 1. Keeps Tonneau inside the car; i.e., not lost in a forgotten closet. 2. Keeps Tonneau from being scratched. 3. Gives me an emergency blanket (for warmth or for lying on if I need to crawl under the car body. Terrific solution.
Old 03-02-14, 08:22 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the 2nd Gen RX which does have a dedicated space for storing the cover, but that gets in the way of other things. In five years I have only used it once or twice; at other times it sits on a shelf in the garage. For your situation, I like the idea of some sort of sleeve to protect it while it rattles around in the storage area, but I can't think of a product that would be the right size. However, a lap around the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond (or R.E.I.) might solve the problem. If nothing else, an appropriately colored bath towel would surely do the trick.
Old 03-02-14, 06:11 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aem8612
Many thanks, CorradoMR2 and ggebhardt! The simplest solution is probably yours, Greg. Wrap it in a dark colored blanket and keep it in the car. The blanket keeps it from being scratched and dinged and is available to be unfurled if I need to cover an item or two from prying eyes. Recover the Tonneau with the blanket after returning home. Sounds like a simple solution to me, not expensive, and a triple-whammy: 1. Keeps Tonneau inside the car; i.e., not lost in a forgotten closet. 2. Keeps Tonneau from being scratched. 3. Gives me an emergency blanket (for warmth or for lying on if I need to crawl under the car body. Terrific solution.
We had our '04 RX330 for 10 years. I recall removing the cover very early on. And after moving it was no where to be found when we traded it in. The dealer didn't even mention that it was missing.

When we got our '14 RX my wife and I went to a nursery to buy a couple of large garden pots. They wouldn't fit with the cover in and I thought they will always be getting in the way, and they are now in a rarely used room in the house. The cover will look brand new when we trade this RX in, assuming we don't misplace it.
Old 03-03-14, 06:30 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

It can also be the source of an annoying rattle. Ours was stashed in the basement the night we brought the car home, and will go back in at trade in time.
Old 03-03-14, 10:13 AM
aem8612
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks again!

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll go with the blanket and/or simply storing it in a quiet space in our home. I laughed, Pete, when you said that on trading in your '04 that the dealer didn't even ask about the Tonneau cover. So, I'm probably making too much of a simple matter. Thanks again to all! This case is closed.
Old 03-07-14, 06:47 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodrow
. Ours was stashed in the basement the night we brought the car home, and will go back in at trade in time.
Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I removed the luggage cover the first day with no regrets. .
I did the same and always wondered how much could be saved if Lexus removed it completely.
Removing would make more sense then removing the side rub rails on the exterior doors........