RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Carplay" just around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 04:05 AM
hwaheed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed NavTool on my car Gs 2008 but I faced problem that when I shift into reverse the screen becomes black and not shows my camera
Originally Posted by Alphapidge
I am also still curious.

I contacted Navtool on facebook and they said all factory functions would still be usable, but the video they have is of a non-nav system meaning it has te turn wheel. I want to know if I could use my steering wheel AND my mouse in my 2014 lexus rx350 to do all normal functions + carplay before spending the $400+ it would take for me to get this system. No users have reported using navtool.
Old 08-07-19, 05:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Welcome to CL. Someone else recently had this same question and was attempting such an upgrade and I think went ahead and bought something. The discussion which addresses many of your questions was only a few down on the first page of the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...head-unit.html
Old 08-08-19, 10:54 AM
jojotheduc
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Beat-Sonic is releasing a CarPlay solution for the 2013+ RX pretty soon. They're selling the first few units to local buyers who can have it installed at Beat-Sonic for filming instructional videos.
Old 08-09-19, 07:48 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
Beat-Sonic is releasing a CarPlay solution for the 2013+ RX pretty soon. They're selling the first few units to local buyers who can have it installed at Beat-Sonic for filming instructional videos.
Do you have a quote on this?

Beat-Sonic has been "releasing" a carplay for a long time... While this has peaked my interest I have yet to see anything materialize... I am extremely interested in getting apple carplay in my vehicle.
Old 08-10-19, 06:57 PM
jojotheduc
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a link to the unit: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexuscar...droidauto.html

Here's a link to their demo video:

Here's an excerpt from their most recent email (~2 weeks ago) for pre-order waiting list folks:

"I want to first thank all of you for contacting us to be on the waiting list for the Apple CarPlay Android Auto kit for Lexus, for that you will be the first to receive information and updates on this project. This has been one of the largest projects for us as we spent tons of R&D hours in the last few years to get this as perfect as possible to ensure the best user experience we can provide for our customers. We are now ready to launch this product. And to ensure best possible user experience with least amount of troubleshooting with installation, we will be offering limited free local installation for customers who purchase the Apple CarPlay kit for Lexus. In return, we would like to video product installation and demonstration which will take about 3-4 hours. For your privacy, license plate will be covered during the video shoot."
Old 08-11-19, 03:36 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
Here's a link to the unit: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexuscar...droidauto.html

Here's a link to their demo video: https://youtu.be/QMFvD_znN8M

Here's an excerpt from their most recent email (~2 weeks ago) for pre-order waiting list folks:

"I want to first thank all of you for contacting us to be on the waiting list for the Apple CarPlay Android Auto kit for Lexus, for that you will be the first to receive information and updates on this project. This has been one of the largest projects for us as we spent tons of R&D hours in the last few years to get this as perfect as possible to ensure the best user experience we can provide for our customers. We are now ready to launch this product. And to ensure best possible user experience with least amount of troubleshooting with installation, we will be offering limited free local installation for customers who purchase the Apple CarPlay kit for Lexus. In return, we would like to video product installation and demonstration which will take about 3-4 hours. For your privacy, license plate will be covered during the video shoot."

Looks almost perfect! Not a fan of the little mic that is installed but other than that I think I love this..

This is not for an RX.., is it said to run exactly the same? Thank you for providing this information.

And does the general radio work with carplay active?
Old 09-15-19, 01:37 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 13 RX350, and I ordered the Beat-Sonic unit. I will be installing it soon. To the best of my understanding, the mic is no longer separate - the unit uses the car's built-in mic.

Also of note, I also understand that a separate USB port must be installed. I am considering installing mine into my center console box in place of, or in addition to the OEM USB port. Like most Carplay/Android Auto OEM systems, the Beat-Sonic integration adapter kit requires your phone to be plugged in through the USB port the kit comes with (i.e. its not wireless, and I don't believe any OEM systems are either).
Old 09-15-19, 03:04 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
I have a 13 RX350, and I ordered the Beat-Sonic unit. I will be installing it soon. To the best of my understanding, the mic is no longer separate - the unit uses the car's built-in mic.

Also of note, I also understand that a separate USB port must be installed. I am considering installing mine into my center console box in place of, or in addition to the OEM USB port. Like most Carplay/Android Auto OEM systems, the Beat-Sonic integration adapter kit requires your phone to be plugged in through the USB port the kit comes with (i.e. its not wireless, and I don't believe any OEM systems are either).

Hey! I also just ordered my unit from Beat-Sonic.

You are correct it uses factory Mic. I will also be drilling a hole in my center console box. Super excited.
Old 09-22-19, 05:06 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received my Beat-Sonic unit the other day and will install hopefully in the next week into my '13 RX350

If you want to use the Factory USB for CarPlay, you can purchase an additional cable for $10 that daisy chains into the back of the radio.

It also ups the charging amperage to account for the additional draw from the CarPlay apps.

Obviously, this eliminates the Factory USB being used as a USB connection to the Nav System/radio. I don't plan on selling my RX for many years, so any affect on re-sale is not important to me.
Old 09-22-19, 05:09 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

When using CarPlay the phone isn’t drawing any more current than any other time.
Old 09-22-19, 05:15 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On both our Mazdas that had CarPlay added, part of the install was an upgrade to the USB charging port to > 2A.

I used this thread as info on the USB charging capabilities:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-charging.html
Old 09-22-19, 05:51 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Originally Posted by mtellup
I just received my Beat-Sonic unit the other day and will install hopefully in the next week into my '13 RX350

If you want to use the Factory USB for CarPlay, you can purchase an additional cable for $10 that daisy chains into the back of the radio.

It also ups the charging amperage to account for the additional draw from the CarPlay apps.

Obviously, this eliminates the Factory USB being used as a USB connection to the Nav System/radio. I don't plan on selling my RX for many years, so any affect on re-sale is not important to me.
I have a 13 RX350 as well with factory Nav. Which $10 cable is this?
I discovered that there is already a large hole in the front wall of the center console storage box. I may not need to drill anything.

Regarding the factory USB, I am not aware that the Nav System/Radio interfaces with my Android phone through this port. Currently my factory system interfaces with my phone via BT. Can you shed some light on this? I've only owned my RX for about 2.5 months so I haven't discovered all of the subtle things about the car yet.

As a side note: I'm a major DIY kinda guy. I bought a copy of the Toyota/Lexus repair manual (converted from online to disk - eBay!) I've already done a trans (U660F) flush and set my ATF level, taken the driver's door apart to clean some really stuck-in-the-door-pocket crud, removed/reinstalled the rear seat to clean the considerable mess the prior owner's kid made down there, removed/reinstalled the passenger front seat to repair the plastic trim panel that is under there (rattled because the mounting point was broken), replaced hood struts, done an engine oil change, a transfer case oil change, and the rear end oil change. Next will be tearing into the dash/center console, and installing beat-sonic unit, and after that, new brakes as my rotors are warped.
Old 09-22-19, 06:03 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

I received my Beat-Sonic Apple Carplay/Android Auto unit the other day. I have not yet had time to install it, but I took a look at the kit. I noted that Beat-Sonic has posted 13-15 RX installation video so now I have a better idea of what I need to do to tear into the dash.

The kit came with a USB "port repeater" type of extension cable. It does not have a mounting bezel or tab, as I was expecting. I may buy one on amazon, assuming the Beat Sonic unit sends fast charge voltage/amps, and assuming I can find one rated to carry the amps/volts my phone uses to quick charge (Samsung GN9 - charges at 9v/1.67A)

Currently (pre Beat Sonic), I use an aftermarket cigarette lighter type of charger, plugged into the 12V power port down under the center console, to get fast charges. I'm uncertain what the Beat Sonic unit provides as far as charging goes, but I'm not too worried about it as I can always resort to my cigarette lighter socket charger.
Old 09-22-19, 06:25 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Hey everyone,

I purchased the Beatsonic kit AND I have it installed. [I did this DIY]

It is AWESOME.

The install was a bit cumbersome, I did it myself with some super cheap tools I purchased from Walmart. The "hardest" part is taking off the panels, but following the Beatsonic video is extremely easy and the parts come off with ease.

Other then this I found plenty of room behind the glove compartment to store the wiring and boxes...

--As for carplay itself [my favorite part]: It's AWESOME. I am on IOS 13, and I have to say it is friggin awesome. Not only does the car seamlessly switch to apple carplay, but it's INSTANT immediately after the vehicle starts. The sound is awesome, and the graphics quality is way better then I could have hoped for. It's super awesome being able to tap the menu button and say "Take me to Walmart", and apple/google maps instantly show me the nearest walmarts, with ratings. Instantly load the maps, show the speed limit, and show traffic/weather conditions. All while listening to my Google play music.
--seriously if you love yourself get the apple carplay kit with the $10 cable to allow yourself to use the factory USB [this is also awesome, I keep my phone in the center console now]. Everything is seamless.
Old 09-22-19, 07:08 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure its awesome?
The following users liked this post:
kramonut (09-15-23)

Quick Reply: "Carplay" just around the corner