RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Carplay" just around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 10:50 AM
kishoreup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I would like to buy BeatSonic, but i don't have skills to install.
Any recommendations on how to get it installed from a auto repair mechanic. Any specific mechanic skills that i need to look for.
After looking at the video, it seems that lot dash parts need to be removed and installed again.
I live in metro detroit area. Appreciate some one can recommend a mechanic in my area to get this installed.
Thanks,
Phani
Old 11-05-19, 05:22 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mtellup
I have the same issue. Working with Eric on it. What I found is that if I turn on “accessory “ first, then press the brake and start, the display will be fine. I just do this all the time. At first it seemed awkward, but now it’s routine. This saves having to stop and restart the car.

I’m guessing a firmware upgrade may be in order.

Hey,

I have updated the firmware twice now [twice on the video interface, once on the CAN controls [the small chip]].

I just sent Eric an email expressing my displeasure at this whole process... The screen still remains black occasionally when I turn the vehicle on [no matter how I turn it on]. And now the controls sometimes require me to click 3 times fast to activate siri or change music so I feel I have to use the mouse if I don't want to be annoyed haha....

How has your experience been? At this point I just want to get this to work properly... I really enjoy carplay in my Lexus when I am not getting annoyed the screen isn't on.
Old 11-05-19, 07:21 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Hey,

I have updated the firmware twice now [twice on the video interface, once on the CAN controls [the small chip]].

I just sent Eric an email expressing my displeasure at this whole process... The screen still remains black occasionally when I turn the vehicle on [no matter how I turn it on]. And now the controls sometimes require me to click 3 times fast to activate siri or change music so I feel I have to use the mouse if I don't want to be annoyed haha....

How has your experience been? At this point I just want to get this to work properly... I really enjoy carplay in my Lexus when I am not getting annoyed the screen isn't on.
Same experience. I delayed installing the most recent firmware update because I was out of town. I was told that they had a 2014 RX in their shop and this firmware update fixed all the issues on that vehicle with no recurrence. They acknowledged the multiple clicks to change music after this firmware upgrade. I had mentioned prior to this firmware fix that when I used the up/down on the console that the playlist would jump by 2 songs each time. They said they "tuned" that in this firmware release. I too now notice the need for either additional presses or longer ones to activate. I haven't tried the menu button to get Siri's attention - I usually do that by voice.

While I'm not happy with the current state of the product, I am impressed by the response and concern Eric exhibits. I'm being more patient than I normally would for two reasons: 1) I really want CarPlay in my RX and 2) I truly believe they are attempting to resolve these issues ASAP (perhaps too quickly!).

So far I've found the most reliable way to avoid the blank screen is to get into 'accessory' and then wait for the slight 'pop' sound, count to 2 and then start the car normally.
Old 11-06-19, 07:04 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Same experience. I delayed installing the most recent firmware update because I was out of town. I was told that they had a 2014 RX in their shop and this firmware update fixed all the issues on that vehicle with no recurrence. They acknowledged the multiple clicks to change music after this firmware upgrade. I had mentioned prior to this firmware fix that when I used the up/down on the console that the playlist would jump by 2 songs each time. They said they "tuned" that in this firmware release. I too now notice the need for either additional presses or longer ones to activate. I haven't tried the menu button to get Siri's attention - I usually do that by voice.

While I'm not happy with the current state of the product, I am impressed by the response and concern Eric exhibits. I'm being more patient than I normally would for two reasons: 1) I really want CarPlay in my RX and 2) I truly believe they are attempting to resolve these issues ASAP (perhaps too quickly!).

So far I've found the most reliable way to avoid the blank screen is to get into 'accessory' and then wait for the slight 'pop' sound, count to 2 and then start the car normally.
Glad to hear I am not the only having issues, I have commended Eric on his constant communications and attempt to resolve these problems. I have gone through 2 firmware updates [I did the newest one yesterday] and still have problems. .

Same boat as you I just really want apple carplay to function properly so I am continuing to work with Eric. Hopefully we can finalize some software updates that fix these problems this month.
Old 11-14-19, 08:22 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I am installing the new firmware tomorrow [Friday]. Wanted to ask if you had updated to the newest yet and if you have had any results?

The previous firmware got worse and worse. Now the screen doesn't turn on regardless of what I do. So hoping that this newest iteration which was emailed Sunday I believe will be the right magic.
Old 11-14-19, 11:39 AM
mtellup
Driver

I am installing the new firmware tomorrow [Friday]. Wanted to ask if you had updated to the newest yet and if you have had any results?

The previous firmware got worse and worse. Now the screen doesn't turn on regardless of what I do. So hoping that this newest iteration which was emailed Sunday I believe will be the right magic.
I flashed the new firmware on Tuesday. Perhaps some improvement, but also I noticed some strange behavior today. Here's what I see:
1) The frequency of blank screens, for me, is much less, but is still there. I found with the last firmware update that my method of waiting 2 seconds after pressing ACC was not working, so I waited 15 seconds and had the display appear almost 100% of the time. So no it's: ACC-> pop -> 15 seconds -> START
2)The white line/flickering screen is still there, it goes away after a few minutes as the frequency of the flicker gets longer and longer until it stops\
3) The Menu and Up/Down buttons work most of the time, but not always.
4) Noticed something new today: Pressing Menu to call Siri works, but there can be a delay of 45 seconds to a couple of minutes after pressing the Menu button before Siri acknowledges you. I captured video of this and sent to Eric.

What year is your RX?
Old 11-14-19, 04:46 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I flashed the new firmware on Tuesday. Perhaps some improvement, but also I noticed some strange behavior today. Here's what I see:
1) The frequency of blank screens, for me, is much less, but is still there. I found with the last firmware update that my method of waiting 2 seconds after pressing ACC was not working, so I waited 15 seconds and had the display appear almost 100% of the time. So no it's: ACC-> pop -> 15 seconds -> START
2)The white line/flickering screen is still there, it goes away after a few minutes as the frequency of the flicker gets longer and longer until it stops\
4) Noticed something new today: Pressing Menu to call Siri works, but there can be a delay of 45 seconds to a couple of minutes after pressing the Menu button before Siri acknowledges you. I captured video of this and sent to Eric.

What year is your RX?
I drive a 2014. I will likely install the new firmware tomorrow, unsure if I want to knowing it won't be a full fix though. May give it a shot just to make it better.
Old 11-18-19, 02:11 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

What year is your RX?
Good afternoon, I updated the latest firmware [that was given Saturday or Sunday?]. The screen seems to turn on every time *SO FAR*, but now I can't hear any audio.. So not sure what is going on there. Are you having a similar issue? Working with Eric to get this resolved.
Old 11-18-19, 02:25 PM
mtellup
Driver

Good afternoon, I updated the latest firmware [that was given Saturday or Sunday?]. The screen seems to turn on every time *SO FAR*, but now I can't hear any audio.. So not sure what is going on there. Are you having a similar issue? Working with Eric to get this resolved.
I flashed that firmware today. As you said *so far* no blank screen. I have had no problems with the audio, however.

I have noticed that the Menu/Siri button has different responses depending on whether the car is running just in ACC mode. In ACC mode, it will respond after 1 or 2 presses almost immdediately, but if the car is running it takes a long time to respond (I've video'd it to send to Eric), sometimes a couple of minutes, then all the Menu/Siri presses are acknowledged one after the other. However, it appears(although I haven't confirmed/timed this yet) that if the car is running and you press the Menu/Siri utton, you will receive a much faster response if you press the Up/down button or the large main Remote touch/mouse/enter control. I'm about 80% certain this is the case.
Old 11-18-19, 03:49 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I flashed that firmware today. As you said *so far* no blank screen. I have had no problems with the audio, however.

I have noticed that the Menu/Siri button has different responses depending on whether the car is running just in ACC mode. In ACC mode, it will respond after 1 or 2 presses almost immdediately, but if the car is running it takes a long time to respond (I've video'd it to send to Eric), sometimes a couple of minutes, then all the Menu/Siri presses are acknowledged one after the other. However, it appears(although I haven't confirmed/timed this yet) that if the car is running and you press the Menu/Siri utton, you will receive a much faster response if you press the Up/down button or the large main Remote touch/mouse/enter control. I'm about 80% certain this is the case.
Hey! I got the audio issue resolved by resetting the vehicle.

I have noted that: When the car is put in reverse the backup camera will flash for a moment then go to factory maps. This is also the same situation if I try to navigate the factory menu it will throw me back to the factory maps.

I believe that the air conditioning software is also being bypassed or something, as I noted when turning my vehicle on it was preset to 75 degrees and not turned to auto [I typically keep it at 72/auto and it saves this?]. Not positive on this one though as I only drove the vehicle and started it a few times.

I set Eric a video of the maps problem though. I am not having any issues with siri or changing music however, I only tested the software when the vehicle was on I did not use it in acc.
Old 11-18-19, 04:05 PM
mtellup
Driver

Hey! I got the audio issue resolved by resetting the vehicle.

I have noted that: When the car is put in reverse the backup camera will flash for a moment then go to factory maps. This is also the same situation if I try to navigate the factory menu it will throw me back to the factory maps.

I believe that the air conditioning software is also being bypassed or something, as I noted when turning my vehicle on it was preset to 75 degrees and not turned to auto [I typically keep it at 72/auto and it saves this?]. Not positive on this one though as I only drove the vehicle and started it a few times.

I set Eric a video of the maps problem though. I am not having any issues with siri or changing music however, I only tested the software when the vehicle was on I did not use it in acc.
I'm having the same issue with the backup screen; I had not checked as I was doing all this in the driveway.

As far as A/C, perhaps when you reset the car it went back to a default setting??
Old 11-19-19, 06:54 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I'm having the same issue with the backup screen; I had not checked as I was doing all this in the driveway.

As far as A/C, perhaps when you reset the car it went back to a default setting??
Just wanted to update: I can confirm the AC is fine!

The only issue is the backup camera and not being able to navigate factory menu. I am very happy with the reliability of the screen thus far though.
Old 11-20-19, 11:05 AM
mtellup
Driver

Just wanted to update: I can confirm the AC is fine!

The only issue is the backup camera and not being able to navigate factory menu. I am very happy with the reliability of the screen thus far though.
I'm finding the same issues as you. Screen has been reliable, but not having factory Nav / backup camera is a bit disconcerting. Also, my Menu/Siri button almost never works now. It seems that when one thing gets fixed, something else stops functioning as it should.
Old 11-20-19, 02:27 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I'm finding the same issues as you. Screen has been reliable, but not having factory Nav / backup camera is a bit disconcerting. Also, my Menu/Siri button almost never works now. It seems that when one thing gets fixed, something else stops functioning as it should.
Hey!

Just wanted to update you: Eric released a new update [this came fast]. To fix black screen issue and back up camera issue.

-I don't know why but I barely discovered I can just remove the black piece under the passenger side airbag and slide the video interface out due to where I have it located. So I was able to knock out this update in less then 10 minutes without disassembling anything.

Fixes**
- The camera works again
- Menu worked perfect for Siri [when vehicle is on, not tested in acc]
- Buttons to change music work perfect [when vehicle is on, not tested in acc].
-The screen turned on however, it is to early to know if this is a fix or if it's simply better or worse yet. As you know we need to drive a few times before we know.

Not fixed **
The factory menu is not accessible still, it immediately switches to factory maps when attempting to navigate factory menu. For me this isn't really a problem, however, it will be once daylight savings occur as we need to access factory settings to switch daylight savings mode.
Old 11-20-19, 04:25 PM
mtellup
Driver

Hey!

Just wanted to update you: Eric released a new update [this came fast]. To fix black screen issue and back up camera issue.

-I don't know why but I barely discovered I can just remove the black piece under the passenger side airbag and slide the video interface out due to where I have it located. So I was able to knock out this update in less then 10 minutes without disassembling anything.

Not fixed **
The factory menu is not accessible still, it immediately switches to factory maps when attempting to navigate factory menu. For me this isn't really a problem, however, it will be once daylight savings occur as we need to access factory settings to switch daylight savings mode.
Eric told me that the engineer was working on another firmware update after the one they just put out this afternoon(yes it was quick), but not certain what he was focusing on.

When you updated , did you disconnnect the cables to the video interface? Specifically the main wiring harness, that removes power to the unit?

--Mike

Quick Reply: "Carplay" just around the corner