RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Carplay" just around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19 | 06:23 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mtellup
Eric told me that the engineer was working on another firmware update after the one they just put out this afternoon(yes it was quick), but not certain what he was focusing on.

When you updated , did you disconnnect the cables to the video interface? Specifically the main wiring harness, that removes power to the unit?

--Mike
Yes,

I took off the Black panel that is underneath the passenger side airbag/glove compartment, tight behind the glove compartment is where my video interface box is. I pulled this downward [more like wiggled it gently but firmly], it doesn't fall down due to how tightly it is held behind the glove box. Once the entire box was exposed I disconnected all of the cables. The in/out cables, HDMI, and the power harness. Then I ran it back up to my room to plug the unit into my computer and update, ran back down plugged it all back in and pushed it back into where I had pulled it from.

I think it's important to note it did not go back in where I pulled it from, but it's not hanging loose or in a concerning manner and is completely concealed again by the black panel. Once we get a fully functioning update... Or rather the "final" update, I will take the passenger side area apart again to button it all up. But for now the quick easy access to the unit is my preference since we are updating so regularly.
Old 11-21-19 | 07:59 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Eric told me that the engineer was working on another firmware update after the one they just put out this afternoon(yes it was quick), but not certain what he was focusing on.

When you updated , did you disconnnect the cables to the video interface? Specifically the main wiring harness, that removes power to the unit?

--Mike
Morning!

Just installed the newest update. I am cautiously optimistic. Everything appears to be working perfectly.

-Backup Camera functioning
-Factory menu is useable
-Menu instantly activates Siri
-Buttons to change music instantly changes music

The screen turned on two times in a row this morning, however as you know... This doesn't mean it's fixed. I am hopeful but this will need testing of course.
Old 11-21-19 | 08:35 AM
mtellup
Driver

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
Morning!

Just installed the newest update. I am cautiously optimistic. Everything appears to be working perfectly.

-Backup Camera functioning
-Factory menu is useable
-Menu instantly activates Siri
-Buttons to change music instantly changes music

The screen turned on two times in a row this morning, however as you know... This doesn't mean it's fixed. I am hopeful but this will need testing of course.

I flashed the update as well. Same for me except My Menu/Siri button works as expected,but only when in ACC. When the car is running, it doesn’t work at all. Still getting the white line / flashing screen for a number of minutes after startup.

Old 11-21-19 | 08:38 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I flashed the update as well. Same for me except My Menu/Siri button works as expected,but only when in ACC. When the car is running, it doesn’t work at all. Still getting the white line / flashing screen for a number of minutes after startup.
Thats odd. Are you in a 2014 Rx 350 with Nav?
My menu/siri works completely when the vehicle is turned on [I have not tested ACC]. The display looks great! I will have a flash of white line however, that is only right as I turn the vehicle on. Carplay and the factory menus seem to render perfectly with no graphical errors or flashing white lines such as what occurs the moment the screen flicks on.
Old 11-21-19 | 08:46 AM
mtellup
Driver

Thats odd. Are you in a 2014 Rx 350 with Nav?
My menu/siri works completely when the vehicle is turned on [I have not tested ACC]. The display looks great! I will have a flash of white line however, that is only right as I turn the vehicle on. Carplay and the factory menus seem to render perfectly with no graphical errors or flashing white lines such as what occurs the moment the screen flicks on.
2013 RX 350 with Nav.
Old 11-21-19 | 09:12 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

2013 RX 350 with Nav.
Ah I am in a 2014 Rx350 with Nav.
I wonder if this has created some differences in our software requirements? As it appears up to this point we are now experiencing different issues.

I also wanted to ask, did you purchase the device that you attach to the aux cable to get rid of that high pitched sound when the speakers are turned up? If so has this distorted or removed any bass from your vehicle? I read in multiple reviews that the device distorted lows so I haven't pulled the trigger on this.
Old 11-21-19 | 11:43 AM
mtellup
Driver

I wonder if this has created some differences in our software requirements? As it appears up to this point we are now experiencing different issues.

I also wanted to ask, did you purchase the device that you attach to the aux cable to get rid of that high pitched sound when the speakers are turned up? If so has this distorted or removed any bass from your vehicle? I read in multiple reviews that the device distorted lows so I haven't pulled the trigger on this.
I did buy the ground loop noise isolator and it does an excellent job of filtering out the ground loop noises. I don't have an opinion on the effects on the sound system. I do have the Mark Levinson audio system. I haven't noticed any change in bass response, but that doesn't mean there hasn''t been any.

BTW, is your's a Japan build or a Canada build?
Old 11-21-19 | 02:29 PM
mtellup
Driver

What IOS version are you on? My wife's phone (IOS 13) has no issues w/ the Menu/Siri button, but my IOS 12 phone does.
Old 11-21-19 | 06:32 PM
mtellup
Driver

Good news! I updated my phone to IOS 13 and it resolved the Menu/Siri problem. With the exeption of the white line / flickering screen (I'll upload a short video of it), which disappears after a few minues, it appears to be working well - so far. Eric said the engineer is working on another firmware update so we'll see what that ends up doing.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
ScreenFlicker1080.mov (3.62 MB, 48 views)
Old 11-26-19 | 01:17 PM
Jamabek
Driver School Candidate

Default Works for 2010 RX 450H?

Thanks for the awesome updates!

Does the beat sonic Carplay only work 2013+ ? I’ve 2010 RX 450H any chances that it is(will be) supported
Old 11-26-19 | 01:20 PM
mtellup
Driver

Originally Posted by Jamabek
Thanks for the awesome updates!

Does the beat sonic Carplay only work 2013+ ? I’ve 2010 RX 450H any chances that it is(will be) supported
I don't know for certain, but my impression is that 2013 and up RX are the only ones supported.

Send an email to: info@beatsonicusa.com and ask Eric.
Old 11-26-19 | 07:59 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I don't know for certain, but my impression is that 2013 and up RX are the only ones supported.

Send an email to: info@beatsonicusa.com and ask Eric.
Hey!

I have been meaning to update you. I am on a trip right now so I haven't had the time.

Carplay since the last update I took from Eric [the one previously discussed], has been *almost* flawless! In fact it reliable turns on 90%+ of the time. It has been super super nice for the trip I am on.

I excitedly reported to Eric on this, and he came back said they were working on another update as it needs to be perfect. I am pleased to hear this, and it seems we are close!

How is it on your end!
Old 11-27-19 | 09:32 AM
mtellup
Driver

Hey!

I have been meaning to update you. I am on a trip right now so I haven't had the time.

Carplay since the last update I took from Eric [the one previously discussed], has been *almost* flawless! In fact it reliable turns on 90%+ of the time. It has been super super nice for the trip I am on.

I excitedly reported to Eric on this, and he came back said they were working on another update as it needs to be perfect. I am pleased to hear this, and it seems we are close!

How is it on your end!
I would rate it 9/10 at this point. They lose 1/2 point because of the flickering screen and 1/2 point for the occasional blank screen on startup. I am **** about not starting the car unnecessarily.

Eric sent me two firmware updates, I think, since you flashed your last update. The first one was a step backwards, the most recent is a definite improvement for me. I get a reliable start of the system > 95% of the time, but that’s a small sample size, maybe 20 starts. My RX is not my daily driver.

The only thing left to correct is the flickering screen (see my video attachment a few posts back) which always goes away after a few minutes.

If their support and responsiveness wasn’t as great as it has been, I might have considered other options. I feel they are determined to get it right.

Old 11-27-19 | 10:20 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I would rate it 9/10 at this point. They lose 1/2 point because of the flickering screen and 1/2 point for the occasional blank screen on startup. I am **** about not starting the car unnecessarily.

Eric sent me two firmware updates, I think, since you flashed your last update. The first one was a step backwards, the most recent is a definite improvement for me. I get a reliable start of the system > 95% of the time, but that’s a small sample size, maybe 20 starts. My RX is not my daily driver.

The only thing left to correct is the flickering screen (see my video attachment a few posts back) which always goes away after a few minutes.

If their support and responsiveness wasn’t as great as it has been, I might have considered other options. I feel they are determined to get it right.
Ah I was angry for maybe 2 weeks solid in the peak of the issues. Once I discovered I didn't have to take the dash apart to update the thing [I will have to to reinstall it correctly but I am waiting until this is perfect], I simmered down a bit. Now that it is working most of the time I am happy with where it is but I 1000% expect it to reach perfection soon.

I also do not wish to nor do I enjoy starting my vehicle over and over. Hopefully Eric has a firmware update this coming week that tightens everything together. It's a shame your screen is still flickering, I just need the screen to reliably be at 100% instead of 90% ish. Out of maybe 25 vehicle starts it hasn't turned on maybe 3ish times.
Old 11-28-19 | 08:03 PM
mtellup
Driver

Ah I was angry for maybe 2 weeks solid in the peak of the issues. Once I discovered I didn't have to take the dash apart to update the thing [I will have to to reinstall it correctly but I am waiting until this is perfect], I simmered down a bit. Now that it is working most of the time I am happy with where it is but I 1000% expect it to reach perfection soon.

I also do not wish to nor do I enjoy starting my vehicle over and over. Hopefully Eric has a firmware update this coming week that tightens everything together. It's a shame your screen is still flickering, I just need the screen to reliably be at 100% instead of 90% ish. Out of maybe 25 vehicle starts it hasn't turned on maybe 3ish times.
I can't say for certain if it started with the most recent update(today), but people who call me are now hearing their voice echoed back to them after they finish speaking and before they hear me speaking. Are you experiencing anything like that? I've tried it three times today and it is definitely occurring.

Quick Reply: "Carplay" just around the corner