RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Carplay" just around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20 | 09:12 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mtellup
I haven’t worked on this yet, but my opinion is that if the cable is a problem, whether it’s a connector or not, they should be supplying us with new cables with better connectors, even if they have to buy the connectors from Lexus.
I agree completely.

Eric stated he is "80%" certain that this is the culprit though. So they are not fully confident the cable is the issue, apparently he could not replicate the issue on their Lexus test models though. As I am sure you know, I for one am completely floored by how many times I have had to remove panels and take apart various portions of the vehicle. I am still wanting this to work though :/
Old 01-07-20 | 09:44 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

I haven’t worked on this yet, but my opinion is that if the cable is a problem, whether it’s a connector or not, they should be supplying us with new cables with better connectors, even if they have to buy the connectors from Lexus.
The cable in question is a Lexus factory cable which I believe goes between the monitor and the radio. The connector where it plugs into the radio is a bit sensitive and has some play from the factory. Although we supply new cables, if it's produced using factory specification will yield the same result. Organizing the cables behind the radio to prevent any stress on this cable should fix the issue. We installed on two RX vehicles during the last week and they have yet experienced a black screen. However, we had a stereo shop install it on the same year RX, experienced black screen issue initially. Advised them to relocate the devices to behind the glove compartment from behind the radio and organize/maneuver the new harnesses that are connected to the radio to prevent any stress to the LVDS connector/cable. Now that vehicle is black screen free. In addition, we have installed it two other local RX models between Oct/Nov without black screen issue along with 7 other customers we shipped out to without any reports of black screen.

My 80% confidence is the engineering side of me as I have to always keep an open mind of any unexpectant and areas that I do not understand. But from my professional stance, I am almost 100% sure the cause of the issue is the way wires are organized behind the radio which is causing stress to where the LVDS cable meets the connector going into the radio.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 01-07-20 | 11:25 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

*edited this response as I wrote when I was peak frustration

-I just lost one of the stereo bolts by unfortunately dropping it while removing it from the stereo [any idea where I can buy another one? Or if there is an easy method to retrieve it? It fell down the hole the shifter covers, and is not at all visible from any angle so I know it's down there pretty good], this along with the whole process made me have a mini-mental tantrum haha.

Regardless it would appear that this cable is abnormally sensitive. I tested again while firmly pushing it into it's socket, and it appeared to work everything while doing so. I have some concern with this level of sensitivity that driving down a bumpy road can cause it to be out of place again regardless of it being free from other wires. Any way I can avoid having to take the stereo out again? I am hopeful and excited to potentially fix the problem this week.

Last edited by Alphapidge; 01-07-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-07-20 | 01:18 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Default Dropped 2 stereo screws

Hey all,

While installing the beatsonic apple carplay kit. I foolishly dropped TWO of the bolts that hold the stereo down [out of 4], both on the left side [currently I have one on the left one on the right].

I do not wish to take apart the center console myself to dig down there and find the bolts, they are definitely beneath the gear shifter down there. Is Lexus able to retrieve these bolts with either an endo-magnetic device? Or take apart the panels? If so can anyone estimate the cost of this process? I really just want to retrieve the bolts [so they don't rattle], and to secure the stereo back properly with 4 bolts instead of 2.
Old 01-07-20 | 01:52 PM
mtellup
Driver

Originally Posted by Alphapidge

-I just lost one of the stereo bolts by unfortunately dropping it while removing it from the stereo [any idea where I can buy another one? Or if there is an easy method to retrieve it? It fell down the hole the shifter covers, and is not at all visible from any angle so I know it's down there pretty good], this along with the whole process made me have a mini-mental tantrum haha.

Regardless it would appear that this cable is abnormally sensitive. I tested again while firmly pushing it into it's socket, and it appeared to work everything while doing so. I have some concern with this level of sensitivity that driving down a bumpy road can cause it to be out of place again regardless of it being free from other wires. Any way I can avoid having to take the stereo out again? I am hopeful and excited to potentially fix the problem this week.
I just read your other posts - man, you are having a bad day. Sorry to hear that.

So did you have a blank screen and by pushing into the socket the display returned? Did it return without restarting? Or have a good screen and by wiggling the socket a bit the display went blank?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm not visualizing the process...
Old 01-07-20 | 01:56 PM
mtellup
Driver

I lost one bolt and have no idea where it went, so I don't know how to retrieve it. I have one of those telescoping 3/8" round magnet sticks, but don't know if it would be long enough or if it would need to be flexible to reach the screw.

Kinda like this: https://bit.ly/36znenR

Old 01-07-20 | 02:09 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

I just read your other posts - man, you are having a bad day. Sorry to hear that.

So did you have a blank screen and by pushing into the socket the display returned? Did it return without restarting? Or have a good screen and by wiggling the socket a bit the display went blank?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm not visualizing the process...
Good afternoon!

Ah, I just got a little frustrated over this whole process, but I have calmed down since. I do not believe I have given the cable enough space from the bundle, and that is my fault. I will fix that soon.

Basically, I would push the connection point firmly into the stereo, go into acc mode the screen would turn on. I would reset and do that 5-10 more times in a row. Every time the screen turned on, I suppose I should have wiggled and tested further but I didn't. After this I taped the connection point down, alleviated some of the pressure off of the wire, by removing some of the bundling, put the stereo back in all while testing acc mode frequently [with 100% success], By the time the vehicle was back together, it worked probably around 15 times in a row. After a short [bumpy road] drive to the gas station, the screen did not turn on again. It only turned on, after I parked at my house again, and reset acc mode multiple times.

It's hard to say the bumpy road was the culprit, but it seems this cable may play a role in the situation, so I need to sit down and properly isolate it. And fix it down into place, and hope it doesn't ever move a milometer. At least that is my plan. My concern now, is even with the cable isolated, with it being so sensitive and having that little play in the socket, is there a likelyhood that it shifts to the wrong spot because of a brisk or bumpy drive? Causing this issue to occur again.

As for the bolts, I think I may ask my local lexus dealer if they can retrieve it, as I am on my last warranty oil change service anyway. Overall this process has been frustrating, but I am hopeful that this IS the solution as Eric has shown for other clients.
Old 01-07-20 | 02:12 PM
Clutchless

Buy your own magnetic pickup or retrieval device. I have one that is on an extendable pole. It works very well for lost bolts & nuts.

I suppose Amazon has something. Just buy your own. The dealer will likely charge a couple of hundred dollars to find them.

Also take one of the existing identical bolts to Home Depot or Lowes and match it up. This is what you do when you cannot find the others.
Old 01-07-20 | 03:31 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

I can send you a new bolts if you cannot find it. It may require you to remove the panels under the center console to retrieve it. You may also try pulling on the bottom plastic to see if it falls out.

I would suggest not torquing all the bolts back in until it has been confirmed fixed so that you may easily remove it to rearrange your wires if necessary. You may send me a photo of how your wires are being organized and perhaps I can offer some pointers.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/

Last edited by BeatSonic; 01-07-20 at 03:32 PM. Reason: after reading the posts above
Old 01-07-20 | 04:06 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
I can send you a new bolts if you cannot find it. It may require you to remove the panels under the center console to retrieve it. You may also try pulling on the bottom plastic to see if it falls out.

I would suggest not torquing all the bolts back in until it has been confirmed fixed so that you may easily remove it to rearrange your wires if necessary. You may send me a photo of how your wires are being organized and perhaps I can offer some pointers.
Thank you!

I just purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTXW115/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTXW115/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
with hopes of retrieving the bolt I lost today [and honestly a second bolt I dropped a few weeks back... Think i'd learn]. I know it's down there so hopefully this works! If not I will contact you .

I will send you pictures of the set up tomorrow, as I plan to patiently go and rearrange everything so that the cable in question has plenty of room by itself! I am hopeful we are on track and appreciate your patience in this situation! Hopefully we get it figured out.
Old 01-08-20 | 02:11 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Update: I went behind the stereo, and I was able to retrieve one of the bolts [and a 10mm socket]. I pushed the other bolt deeper and it is not visible and seems to be non-retrievable. Not positive on this front though.

-I isolated the cable, I removed it from the bundling and it has allot of extra play away from the other cables now. I then carefully taped the connection point down, tested a couple times and it appeared to work. Placed the stereo back on [without bolting it in], it worked twice then it hit me with the black screen despite no additional movement occurring. I suppose I will not remove the monitor, and check those connection points. Still hopeful but slowly going crazy haha.
Old 01-09-20 | 10:19 AM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Just updating everyone.

After extensive testing, and reflashing the video interface. We have been able to determine that the lvds cable from the carplay kit for some reason is unreliable. When the monitor is hooked up to the factory cable it turns on 100% of the time, when it is plugged into the lvds harness/adapter that connects to the video interface it turns on unreliably roughly 50-80% of the time. Eric stated he would send me a new lvds cable and hopefully a new bolt [the bolt is NOT his fault] for the stereo .
Old 01-09-20 | 10:28 AM
mtellup
Driver

The cable in question is a Lexus factory cable which I believe goes between the monitor and the radio. The connector where it plugs into the radio is a bit sensitive and has some play from the factory. Although we supply new cables, if it's produced using factory specification will yield the same result. Organizing the cables behind the radio to prevent any stress on this cable should fix the issue. We installed on two RX vehicles during the last week and they have yet experienced a black screen. However, we had a stereo shop install it on the same year RX, experienced black screen issue initially. Advised them to relocate the devices to behind the glove compartment from behind the radio and organize/maneuver the new harnesses that are connected to the radio to prevent any stress to the LVDS connector/cable. Now that vehicle is black screen free. In addition, we have installed it two other local RX models between Oct/Nov without black screen issue along with 7 other customers we shipped out to without any reports of black screen.

My 80% confidence is the engineering side of me as I have to always keep an open mind of any unexpectant and areas that I do not understand. But from my professional stance, I am almost 100% sure the cause of the issue is the way wires are organized behind the radio which is causing stress to where the LVDS cable meets the connector going into the radio.

My bad, thanks for the clarification- I had mistakenly assumed it was part of the Car Play supplied wiring harness.

I hope to pull the radio this weekend and will hopefully be able to make certain the cable is experiencing no strain.
Old 01-09-20 | 07:16 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Hey all,

While installing the beatsonic apple carplay kit. I foolishly dropped TWO of the bolts that hold the stereo down [out of 4], both on the left side [currently I have one on the left one on the right].

I do not wish to take apart the center console myself to dig down there and find the bolts, they are definitely beneath the gear shifter down there. Is Lexus able to retrieve these bolts with either an endo-magnetic device? Or take apart the panels? If so can anyone estimate the cost of this process? I really just want to retrieve the bolts [so they don't rattle], and to secure the stereo back properly with 4 bolts instead of 2.
I've dropped the 10mm screws that mount the OEM radio as well. They can fall very far, and down deep. I have long flexible wands with a strong magnet on the end that I use to retrieve fallen screws in engine bays, but in this case it didn't work.

I found that the plastic piece that forms the floor of the cubby where the 12v "cigarette" lighter socket is located is very easy to pop out with a plastic trim panel remover. Once I popped out that piece, the screw was very easy to retrieve. This is the weird "storage" area that is below the shifter and more directly under the Joystick for the screen.

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 01-09-20 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 01-09-20 | 07:34 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

BTW, that's the Yaw sensor (the device with the big number 6 on it) bolted to the steel of the car body. The screw I dropped was further forwards than the area within the view we see in the third photo I posted, but was easy to get to through this access hole.

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 01-09-20 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: "Carplay" just around the corner