RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Suggestion for parking very close inside garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 05:28 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by elba123
As you can see from the attached photograph, there is very little room in my garage to park two cars. They have to be precision parked.
...I am open to alternate suggestions.
It's much easier to 'precision park' in reverse rather than driving forward.
Our garage is 19.5 feet wide, the 14' door is offset.
1foot---[14' door]-----4.5 feet.

I put down tape right in the middle of the door opening (7 feet on each side)
I then said, " Hun, stay on your side of the tape and pull into the 'big side'.
A tennis ball dangles from the ceiling to touch her windshield.
This is all the 'precision parking' I ask of her.

I back into my 7 foot side and once my passenger mirror clears the door by 1.5 inches I hook the wheel to eat up that last unused foot and my tires are touching the garage wall footings.

Both of our driver doors open to the middle, (about 30 inches).
Passengers can enter her Lexus from the 4.5 foot side.
I must pull out of the garage before passengers can enter.
Old 03-28-14, 05:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a problem parking a Cadillac Brougham into a garage that wasn't long enough. Well it was long enough, by about 2" I ended up "tapping" the drywall with the front bumper uprights(remember big indestructable chrome bumper) so many times I just sawed out that beat up portion of the drywall. Luckily it was between two studs so that gave me an extra 2" to pull the front part of the bumper "into" the wall.

I also nailed up some carpet scraps on the wall where the doors swing open. Wasn't wide enough to get the doors all the way open, this way I never had to worry about chipping the paint by opening the door too wide.
Old 03-28-14, 08:36 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a parking lot recently with only a few spots, so I grabbed the first one that I saw. I was worried that my sweetie could not get out of her side of the RX and I had lost my concentration a bit with other things that I had to get done that night, so when I pulled in, she had plenty of room.

I had only six inches between the car beside me, so I was stuck in the drivers seat! She laughed when I said, "I think I'll do this one over"

Usually when pulling into our garage at home, I try to shoot for 3 inches between the mirror on the right side and the garage opening....and I usually get that pretty often.
Old 03-28-14, 08:49 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by websailor
I had only six inches between the car beside me, so I was stuck in the drivers seat! She laughed when I said, "I think I'll do this one over"
I'm still adjusting trying to get my RX perfectly in a parking stall. For some reason I was always getting too close to the right side of the space.

I was used to looking at the center of the stall and centering my old car while pulling in.

So now I focus on the left side of the stall and the left side of my car and it pretty much goes in with the same space on each side in between the lines.

It must be some kind of optical illusion.
Old 03-28-14, 11:29 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate a thrill as much as the next guy. But if I ever had to park that close to ANY other car on a daily basis I would either slit my throat or blow up the garage and park commando I park miles from other cars whenever I go anywhere.

Or I would get my honey a nice car cover for Christmas. Then I would not have to slit throat, I would already be dead

For the record, hanging green tennis ***** are cool. But mainly for the depth. Never thought of that for width issues. Could end up with too many ***** in the air