RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Suggestion for parking very close inside garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 12:37 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestion for parking very close inside garage

As you can see from the attached photograph, there is very little room in my garage to park two cars. They have to be precision parked.

Has anyone installed/used a laser guided parking device such as
this one this one
? What are your experiences? I am open to alternate suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Suggestion for parking very close inside garage-20140301_131559.jpg  
Old 03-04-14, 06:11 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My garage is 20' x 20', not large. But there is space between the edge of the garage door and edge of wall so I 'pull' the Lexus in giving room to open the drivers door. I 'back' the Vette in also giving room to open that 'long' drivers door. Maximizing the available use of space that way.
Originally Posted by elba123
As you can see from the attached photograph, there is very little room in my garage to park two cars. They have to be precision parked.

Has anyone installed/used a laser guided parking device such as this one? What are your experiences? I am open to alternate suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Suggestion for parking very close inside garage-imag0726.jpg  
Old 03-04-14, 06:15 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My garage is 20' x 20', not large. But there is space between the edge of the garage door and edge of wall so I 'pull' the Lexus in giving room to open the drivers door. I 'back' the Vette in also giving room to open that 'long' drivers door. Maximizing the available use of space that way.
This is exactly what I was about to suggest.

Then again thats considering you don't have kids or someone else who will swing open the doors either way

If your concerned about getting as close as possible without hitting anything I just tied a little stuffed animal onto the top of the roof and dropped it down.
Old 03-04-14, 09:39 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My garage is 20 x 20 too, and we have the rx350 and a Honda cr-v. Since my RX350 has the parking assist option, I find it very helpful when I pull in the garage. Also, I manually fold down the side mirrors before entering the garage.
Old 03-04-14, 10:20 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that is very tight! One other option is to suspense couple tennis ***** from the ceiling and use them to guide you in.
What size is your garage? I thought the minimum standard garage is 20x20. Anyhow, I do what others have suggested. One pulls in while the other back in to maximize space for both drivers' sides.
Old 03-04-14, 11:04 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe a garage reorganizing is in order. That's an accident waiting to happen.

I would recommend placing a concave mirror in the middle of the wall to give you some visibility relative to the other vehicle.
Old 03-04-14, 05:57 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's tight! LOL, I thought Cflutist started this thread! We have tight parking also with two cars but I've got the distances down now with some experience. I also pull in the mirrors each time and edge as close to the side of the garage also. I do use a technique of coming in att a slight angle, then straightening inside the garage. We don't use side ***** hanging down (which is an interesting idea) but I did put a 4x6 wood beam on the floor to know when to stop.

Pulling out, we just have to be very sure to pull straight out.

Most of the time I pull in with about 6 inches of clearance from the right side of the RX450h to the garahe door. Been doing it that way for 16 years (and various cars) and haven't hit the garage yet.
Old 03-04-14, 06:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's how I parked as well in my prior home.

Sweet Stingray Jim!
Old 03-05-14, 11:37 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh. My garage hasn't had enough space for a car in years.
Old 03-05-14, 01:02 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My garage in NYC... go figure

Suggestion for parking very close inside garage-sikcxbg.jpg

@OP - for tight spaces like that I always back in the 2nd car if possible. Looking at the mirrors makes it really hard to mess up
Old 03-06-14, 12:19 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just expand the garage ... maybe just go for a three car garage. It would probably be easy to do. I built a three car garage at one of my vacation homes and it was pretty cheap. Garages are typically not complex structures.
Old 03-06-14, 06:11 PM
websailor
Rookie

Originally Posted by pmanliu
My garage in NYC... go figure

@OP - for tight spaces like that I always back in the 2nd car if possible. Looking at the mirrors makes it really hard to mess up
You need a Star Trek Transporter for that garage!
==================
Where we lived if you expand the garage, you'd need a building permit. You get those on the condition that the whole house needs to be upgraded - ALL faucets, showerheads, toilets, etc need to be low-flow, CO detectors in every room, etc. That cost adds up!

Last edited by websailor; 03-06-14 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-06-14, 06:18 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PG0AANHCL.jpg

I have two of these in our garage. One for each of our cars...never an issue as to how far to pull in.
Old 03-06-14, 08:23 PM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

Fortunately, our garage is big enough for our two cars. I find the Intuitive Parking Assist feature on the RX absolutely perfect for telling me how far to pull in. I pull in until it beeps and car position is perfect. Now, side to side is a different story. I pull in at an angle and then straighten out, much like parking in a parking lot. That way I'm sure the mirror has cleared the bricks at the side and there is room to open the door without hitting the Forester. Walking by on the right is a bit snug, but not bad.

I do back out watching the right side mirror very carefully. I prefer to clear the brick by at least six inches. When it looks like it won't clear by more than an inch or so, I can always pull forward and back out at more of an angle.

But I do end up with wavy tire tracks on the floor instead of straight lines!
Old 03-06-14, 09:06 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by elba123

Has anyone installed/used a laser guided parking device such as this one? What are your experiences? I am open to alternate suggestions.
That's about the same space I have between the Pilot and GS. Your best solution is to back park the vehicle where you can access the driver's side.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for parking very close inside garage