RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Taking Delivery of Special Order tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 12:36 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Delivery of Special Order tomorrow

I have been lurking here for a while, listening and learning as much as I can. This is my first post here.

I ordered a new 2014 RX 350 AWD a while back and I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow. Had to order to get the Luxury Package with AWD here in Texas - not available otherwise. Watned the Lux Pkg for the front seat thigh extensions.

Anything to know about taking delivery of a 2014 special order RX, different from any other RX?

I am planning to take my smart phone, and my wife's, to have them paired. I will check for the cargo cover, though it sounds like it will go into storage at home and never be seen again. I will also check for the net and spare and such.

What else?

Based on my research here, I am not planning to buy an extended warranty.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, I am a 45 yr. old male and I will be the primary driver. I keep my vehicles a long time. I have had my truck for 7 ½ years and am keeping it. I plan to keep this RX for 8+ years.
Old 03-24-14, 12:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Congrats mjhdo1. The only thing I recall when I took delivery of my special order 450h four years ago was receiving a detailed printout of all the standard features, ordered packages and options along with their respective prices from my sales guy. I don't know if that's something they do or part of the process. It's nice to have. Otherwise it should be straightforward. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 03-24-14, 01:26 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

If it is a brand new Lexus and your papers are all taken care off, just sit back and relax.
Enjoy the process.
Old 03-24-14, 02:51 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome Mark,
You should be in for a very happy experience with your new RX. Don't forget to shoot and post photos . RE: your luggage cover, not sure why you'd want to remove it but it's certainly an option of you choose. While some make a little rattle noise, it's a small % number. My 2010 cover is still tight and serves it's purpose well.
Old 03-24-14, 05:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Besides checking for the specifics you wanted (hence why you did the special order), check the paint and wheels for any curb damage. Probably too late to validate and ask for a possible swap, but the Michelin Latitude Tour tires are the better of the other two (Bridgestone and Dunlops). If you have one of the latter two, don't worry, they're fine and eventually you will replace them anyway if you don't like them. You should get two key fobs or depending package, one is a very practical wallet key. First two oil changes are free and personally, I would also skip any maintenance packages they can sell you. In short, as others are saying, don't sweat it and enjoy picking up your new RX! Congrats and post pics please.
Old 03-24-14, 05:31 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

"Anything to know about taking delivery of a 2014 special order RX, different from any other RX?"

Allow plenty of time so all your questions can be answered. It's ok to ask your salesperson "What are the FAQs you get upon delivery?" Have your salesperson introduce you to the service staff, receptionist, parts and loaner people and last but not least the coffee/pastry area. Our process was a very pleasant experience except the finance guy insisted on an extended warranty, which we did not buy.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 03-24-14, 07:11 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! You will love the car.

I actually opted for an extended warranty that covered only non-powertrain items through 6 years/70,000 miles ( I think they call it a gap warranty). Since the powertrain is already covered for that time frame, it is a waste of money to get an extended warranty that offers redundant coverage for the powertrain. The one I got only cost $500. Much better than the full extended warranty for the same time period quoted at over $2000.
Old 03-24-14, 08:10 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all your responses. I'm taking everything to heart and really looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 03-25-14, 07:16 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mjhdo1: I also ordered one a while back (October or November of 2013), but a few weeks ago, my dealer called and told me that Lexus isn't going to build it because it's too late in the model year. So I had to start over and they placed an order for 2015 MY.
Do you remember the date you ordered yours? Just curious. I'm also in TX and ordered from Sewell Dallas.
Old 03-25-14, 08:17 AM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

Mors,

I was almost in the same boat as you. I placed my order just before Christmas 2013 with my local dealer. They said that it would probably be built in Japan, and if Lexus Japan "picked up" the order from the system before the end of the year, I should have the vehicle by late February or March of this year. When I followed up with my dealer in January 2014, it turned out that Lexus Japan had not "picked up" the order until the first week in January, so it was going to definitely be March or possibly even April before I was able to take delivery, my dealer estimated. They said they would let me know when they had a build date. When I didn't hear anything by mid-February, I followed up with my dealer again. They then told me the same thing you were told - that it was too late for the 2014 model year, and I would have to wait until Lexus started producing 2015's. My dealer told me it would probably be mid-to-late summer before I could take delivery, possibly even as late as September, though they hoped for June or July. I was very disappointed.

However, my dealer then looked in the North American system and happened to find a 2014 vehicle with the same specifications as what I had ordered (AWD + Lux Pkg) in the right color combination. The only difference was that this vehicle has Park Assist and the Mark Levinson sound system, which I had not ordered, but will take to get a vehicle now. This vehicle was being built in Canada, and my dealer was able to contact the dealer the vehicle was destined for and make a dealer-trade for it. So I am getting the end of the 2014 model run, but I don't have to wait through summer for a 2015.

I think I got really lucky!
Old 03-25-14, 09:39 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I ordered mine with almost all options except for the rear seat DVD thing. I was told the earliest I'd get mine would be May, but probably June. I'm now thinking I may want to wait for the redesign next year instead of sticking with this order. I'm sure the tech would be in the 2016 version (new touchpad controller, newer software with some of the bugs fixed, etc), but who knows what it'll look like. I'm ready for a new car so I'll probably stick with the order (the wife said to not wait any longer than I already have).
Congrats on the car!
Old 03-25-14, 10:36 AM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

I thought about waiting for the possible 2016 redesign too, but didn't because: 1. I've been waiting several years already and am running out of patience; 2. I fear they may go with a less powerful engine next time to achieve better gas mileage; 3. I don't know if I'll like the next design, but I know I like this one; and 4. These things hold their value so well that I figure even if I really do like the next generation better, I can always trade for it and not lose too much.