RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CPO Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 11:23 AM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Question

I just purchased my first Lexus (a 2011 RX350 CPO) - and when I got home, on the passenger side there is a HUGE scratch - its about 15" long and fairly deep....

I called the sales person and he said "We dont cover scratches on Used Cars".

Although, I just checked the Lexus CPO site and it states " performing paint and surface restorations to meet Lexus standards" in the reconditioning section of the CPO program.

Anyone think I can escalate at the dealer based on this? It sounds like it never should have been sold with that scratch in the first place. Since it was the passengers side, I never noticed it, and it was a cloudy day - so it wasnt really a pop out ...

Thanks!
Old 04-03-14, 11:34 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, the dealerships are supposed to recondition the cars to Lexus sstandard in order to sell the car as CPO. However the scratch could have happened in their parking lot afterward (or sounded they are saying that the scratch happened after you took possession of the vehicle.
You mentioned it was a cloudy day when you picked up the car but you should have done a detail inspection before taking delivery of the car! Most dealer have large indoor parking with bright light. You could contact the Sale Manager and GM to see what they can do for you. Good/ Reasonable dealers usually will try their best to resolve the issue. Good luck
Old 04-03-14, 11:44 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Expensive lesson.

They got you twice really.

Won't fix it now.

And because you didn't do a thorough inspection, you could've and would've negotiated on the price or had it thrown in.

Don't believe they 'have' to do anything since as was posted, scratch could've happened on your way home. Would also suggest civiliy to someone higher up at the dealership what happened. I'm hoping you are writing this a day after it happened and not last week. Hopefully they will invest in keeping you as a customer.
Old 04-03-14, 12:14 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - yeah, My wife was on that side and thought she saw it but figured it was a smudge.... It wasnt... and she didnt tell me. And nope - I took Posession of the car on Tuesday, and I called him about it 45 Minutes later. I know its in my hands and my fault for not looking enough ... and I have to say, as I got into the back seat after getting it home to show family - The detailing they did was aweful - still had some old stuff in the back seats / Crumbs in the back seat / etc .... So much to admire inside the car, I didnt look at that "little" stuff ... Hey, I came from a Saturn Vue (I liked my Vue... but now I figured it was time to get a nice car.... and man, ths RX350 is perfect)
Old 04-03-14, 01:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I agree with oohpapi44 where it looks bad on your part, yet if you respectfully talk to your sales rep or his manager pointing out that it was an honest oversight by both parties, I would hope they can at least offer to buff it out or attempt to improve it. They certainly would not want to lose you as a customer for a scratch.
Old 04-03-14, 02:47 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you "feel" the scratch if you run your hand over it?
If you can't try something like Dr.Scratch or take it in for a high speed buff. That might do the trick in at least making it seem lighter or removing it a little bit.
Old 04-03-14, 05:31 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys - Great forum and people around here - Ill be here a lot

The scratch isn't really deep - so I was thinking about some buffing myself if they wont do anything - its been years since Ive done it, but at one time I was pretty good at body work ....