RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rx350 liftgate not latching

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 03:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

gaga, I'm glad the dealer has your RX, Maybe this time they'll be able to duplicate the problems you've been having. I can't understand why the tailgate closed like it did without any of the buttons being pressed. And the tailgate closing mechanism is pretty strong. I don't think the amount of force caused by closing the back door should prevent it from latching. An error message is supposed to appear on the dash when it isn't closed. Now I haven't tried it myself but I'm sure I'm sure I've done it over the years. Thanks for the update and I hope you get a resolution.
Old 04-18-14, 09:25 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bwt raylor i dont slam them i used the power button on the hatch and closed the back driver side door normally..the way any average person would..happy holiday everyone and thanks for your comments ...well taken and helpful..still would like to know if anyone else has experienced this..thanks!
Old 04-18-14, 10:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

gaga, I'm sure raylor didn't mean 'slam' in the sense of overly excessive force. The rear doors require a bit more effort to close than the front due to their lightness. I'll try to test it out over the weekend and let you know. Like I said, I've probably done it a few times over the course of four years without a problem. Any updates from the dealer? What kind of loaner did they give you? If it's another RX it would be interesting to see if the same thing happens.
Old 04-18-14, 03:52 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Gaga, did the test as far as I could interpret your instructions. Right before the rear hatch latches, I had the rear driver side door open already and shut it. The rear hatch moved just a bit back up but then fell back down and latched. Now, You should know my car has 80k miles and the rear struts are a bit weak. During the winter I have to push the hatch up with my hand to keep it off my head when I open it. It was 85 degrees yesterday when I did the test. Don't know what results would've been if I had a few less miles on it.
Old 04-18-14, 07:24 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

anita,
i meant no disrespect in my response merely was clarifying it to the answer given. they gave me a loaner same model however there is no hatch cover(that black thing you pull to keep things out of site) or a net..so the dynamic is different on it but i did try it and a moved a little as you said yours did.havent got time to stand there all day. i know whats happening..wish i had nothing better to do but this is a new car under warrantee and they must know this is happening...got a call that my car is ready so i will pick it up and see what they said..not holding my breath..please keep trying to replicate this. i think its VERY important to know about this issue..i feel a lemon car wrap coming on i am sorry to say..very disappointing..happy easter everyone..please keep your posts coming..i appreciate it!
ps this car has 6k miles .
Old 04-19-14, 09:00 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

car is ready ..as i suspected they couldnt find anything. i will ask if they tried the close door and gate ate the same time since i dont think they were asked to check for that but i havent seen what the work orders said yet..
why did i know they wouldnt find anything..hmmm
Old 04-20-14, 10:08 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
bwt raylor i dont slam them i used the power button on the hatch and closed the back driver side door normally..the way any average person would..happy holiday everyone and thanks for your comments ...well taken and helpful..still would like to know if anyone else has experienced this..thanks!
Happy Easter Gaga,
I just closed the hatch with the close button on the hatch, then closed the driver's side rear door just as the latch clicked. The hatch moved out slightly from the air pressure, then continued to lock securely, as advertised.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
PS Are you a Lady Gaga fan like me, or are you the real McCoy? : )
Old 04-20-14, 10:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
PS Are you a Lady Gaga fan like me, or are you the real McCoy? : )
The Lady does not own a Lexus.
Old 04-20-14, 11:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

gaga, please let us know what the dealer did (i.e. what they checked). I'm sure you had an extensive conversation with them too Believe me, I've been there done that in my pre-Lexus days. I understand completely. Maybe that's part of the reason why I have a female service advisor.

I gave it a little more thought about possible causes. Two things came to mind. First, possibly something is caught or getting caught in the latch assembly to prevent it from closing. That's happened to me. A blanket I keep in the back wasn't fully inside. But it still managed to close. The other idea, the previous incidents damaged or misaligned the tailgate, preventing it from closing properly. Listen to the noise when closing and note anything unusual. I've only had one problem with the tailgate in 15+ years on the RX300 which had to be opened manually. So it's not relevant here.

We're anxiously waiting for that happy ending.
Old 04-23-14, 11:18 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

hi, just a quick note.no female advisors visible in that agency. nothing is getting caught..checked that..its an aerodynamic issue from what i can see and figure out..talked to a few people there. they are sending another team out from corporate but not exactly sure..will follow that up..more later..please try to duplicate with latch unlatched left about an inch or so open then close back door like a teenager would..see what happens to the trunk then,,,amazing.....depressing really...
please keep your notes coming..all info and help is appreciated. thanks
Old 04-23-14, 11:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Gaga,

As many have already pointed out, we do not have this issue. I close doors while the rear door is closing and never give it a second thought. It latches every time. Your best bet is to find a way to duplicate it.
Old 04-23-14, 11:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
hi vlad, are you a male. makes a difference believe me.

thanks for reminding me of calling corporate. it was on this list of things to do today.
i just got off the phone with corporate. the phone number is easily accessed on the web and i speak to someone about this. waiting to see how they handle it. yes, given the recent 1.2 bil fine i dont think they want me to wrap my car in a giant lemon wrap and drive it around town. i am all for giving them a chance to fix it .
it happens mainly at night with my hatch filled with stuff in the cool air about 8 or 9 pm pacific time. it occured at least 4 times at about that hour. it is hard to duplicate but it does happen. i hope no one gets injured because of this problem with debris falling out the back gate while driving. i think that happened to me early april. no one was hit fortunately but i did lose something important to me.

i can do all the things to stop it from happening like standing there and waiting etc. whats the point of a power gate if you have to wait there in the rain or snow..the beeps are almost like seat belt beeps is you do hear them..not very loud..with all the ring tone apps you would think they could have someone saying gate open etc or god bless america and keep her safe ...lock the hatch...etc..very bizarre for a new car to do this.

.i am sure i am not the only one..has anyone else had this problem?
lol, I'm so confused I thought I wasn't giving you a fair shot earlier and may have been a bit harsher than intended so went back to see if I missed anything specific and am even more lost now than before.

Per the above, four times in an hour because of certain temp and time with a cargo area full of stuff?

Then while driving, hatch would open....

Is it possible you are stuffing too much crap in the back and as I suggested before, you have an electrical issue where the car is not registering that the hatch is still open.

Then in another post you state that while standing at the back, you hear a beep and the hatch starts to come down on your head grazing you a bit.

It is possible you have kids playing pranks?

just wondering why you are so set on this aerodynamic air pressure scenario. And venting would not cause the hatch to suddenly beep and come down on your head. Pressing the hatch button on the remote will.

By no means am I trying to belittle you. Just believe you are reaching for this air pressure scenario solution when it doesn't make sense. If your cargo area is full of stuff then the air flow is decreased and it is much more plausible than your hatch just isn't locking property and will open easily because of the pressure from the cargo pressing against it. Either that or the vehicle is registering locked when it isn't and thus electrical.

As mentioned, this is obviously a concern or passion of yours. Invest the time to duplication the incident consistently and bring it to the dealership. If they ignore, tape it and send the footage to Corporate. Present factual information and someone will listen.

Last edited by kitlz; 04-24-14 at 03:28 AM. Reason: cleaning up offensive remarks
Old 04-23-14, 04:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

gaga, while you're waiting for corporate, do yourself a favor and disable the power tailgate while driving. The button is in the glovebox. It can always be turned back on.
Old 04-23-14, 04:59 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

i am not going to disable anything at all. i am waiting for them to check again. i was told the fix might be to drill holes behind my back driver seat into the body of the car to alleviate the pressure on the back gate from the door closing. this car has 3k miles on it. i dont think so on drilling anything at all on the car..thats not an option for me. if i make alterations to the car it will negate the warrantee..if you see the gate push out a little..try filling up your hatch..using the hatch cover and curtains and putting stuff in the back seat to fill up space..then try the door and hatch again..its happened to me 4 times at least that i am aware of that the gate will not lock..hasnt anything to to with the lock. i think its a design issue...flaw or whatever you want to call it in this car. they told me to carry less stuff..thats why i bought the suv instead of a sedan..not an acceptable answer..
anita i appreciated your trying to help me. i am pretty savvy as a female driver ..i have not ever had an experience like this in decades of driving..truly bizarre...we are going to try to replicate with a car full of stuff..if they are lucky they will find the problem..otherwise i guess they will have to continue to work on finding the problem. its a huge liability issue if the trunk does not completely close so as to engage the latch(locking mechanism)
Old 04-23-14, 05:14 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

oopapi
it wasnt 4 times an hour
its been since the fall..now its end of april..it doesnt always happen..it does happen my car is very full...they have seen the concept of what happens..my car was not as full as it generally is when i showed several people the problem at the dealership.
there are no kids i need to worry about in my car at the moment and i dont want to put them into the car unless its totally safe..
..nothing to distract me in the car either..i dont TEXT..i use the phone speaker ..rarely on the phone at all....etc..

if they are offering to drill into the body of the car to alleviate the pressure..you figure it out.

we are inching towards getting another appointment from corporate engineers..
the mechanic actually has seen the same damage on another vehicle but didnt know how it happened. i have
thoughts about it..i wish someone would fill up their newish lexus and then try the same scenario..see if its just my car or others as well..
i dont think my thought on why this is happening is off...i have another euro car and i know more about whats been wrong with it than any other customer male or female that mechanic has had.
.i really would like help with this problem from male or female lexus owners. i dont discriminate..thanks everyone!

Last edited by kitlz; 04-24-14 at 03:30 AM. Reason: removed remarks made in response

Quick Reply: rx350 liftgate not latching