RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ordering Directly From The Factory

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 02:21 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ordering Directly From The Factory

I"m probably going to special order an RX soon and I'm wondering what the process is and what to expect.
Old 04-25-14, 02:38 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
I"m probably going to special order an RX soon and I'm wondering what the process is and what to expect.
Ordering is easy.
It's the waiting that will test your patience. (3 months)
Anyway, just check all the options you want through lexus website.
In the end you'll know the closest dealership that can assist you with your order.

Then just like a regular sale, they will get in touch with you.
You don't have to put any down yet.
Some may require a deposit of $1500.

You will have a sales agent, who will update you from time to time regarding the progress of your order.
I assume you'll be ordering a 2015.
If you order a 2014, at this stage, it. Might get cancelled since the 2015 are rolling out in a few days.

Goodluck!
Old 04-25-14, 03:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Sandy14, congrats on your decision to go the special order route. You'll need patience for sure. My advice is to make sure you do your homework so you know every package and option you want. I think I used Edmunds to get idea on price since I added a few options to my 450h. Does your dealer accept special orders? Not all do. The whole process is simple otherwise. I gave my sales person the list of what I wanted. He came back with a price that was about 5% below MSRP. Unfortunately it's not easily negotiable. Deposits, well some dealers require them, some don't. I put down a little bit. The order was then sent to CA for review. My sales guy told me they submit them once a month. About six weeks later, the dealer was able to see my special order was accepted. I was also given an estimated build date. BTW, it only takes a week to build. The approval process and shipping (one month) takes the most time. I ordered in September and picked up the RXh in January. Maybe the process is quicker now. But it's so worth it to get exactly what you want. Good luck.
Old 04-25-14, 04:44 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Thanks all, Good information.
I sold my 2010, so we went to the dealer to inquire about the 2015s. They are due to arrive next 7-10 days. My salesman looked on line and found some in the colors I want. Problem is they didn't have some of the features I want and had some features I didn't want.
So special order it is.
Excited!
Old 04-25-14, 05:03 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you're doing built to order.
I suggest adding Heads up display (HUD)
Mark Levinson, I'm not that excited about it VS the regular 12 speaker premium system.
And rear entertainment system ( if you need/want it)

It's hard to find a stock RX with these 3 features unless it's a very loaded one.
Old 04-25-14, 06:37 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markrivers
Since you're doing built to order.
I suggest adding Heads up display (HUD)
Mark Levinson, I'm not that excited about it VS the regular 12 speaker premium system.
And rear entertainment system ( if you need/want it)

It's hard to find a stock RX with these 3 features unless it's a very loaded one.
Thanks, I'l look into the HUD. I compared the ML to the Lexus 12 speaker and for my kind of music via bluetooth, The 12 speaker is adequate. No need for the rear entertainment system.
Old 04-26-14, 04:29 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in the UK, we can only special order if we want a new car! All the other cars on the lot have one owner on them as they are registered as demonstrators! Mine took 3 months!
Old 04-30-14, 08:38 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Well this is becoming very frustrating. We have been to two Lexus dealers and talked to a third on the phone.
Nobody wants to take a factory order. They all want to sell from inventory.
I guess I must be dumber than dumb, but this makes no sense at all. What am I missing?
Old 04-30-14, 09:26 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is becoming very frustrating. We have been to two Lexus dealers and talked to a third on the phone.
Nobody wants to take a factory order. They all want to sell from inventory.
I guess I must be dumber than dumb, but this makes no sense at all. What am I missing?

I had this problem when locating a '14 Rav4 Limited for a family member. Toyota dealers didn't have all the options on their lot for the color and they seemed like you couldn't order one you just have to wait for a just in case one gets built they can divert it to their dealership.
Old 05-01-14, 02:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

sandy14, it's not you. Some dealers don't want to be bothered. It might also have to do with the '15s starting to populate their lots. They want to move them and get the sale immediately. It's a shame because we're taking about a guaranteed sale. The way I look at it is you have a few options, continue looking for a dealer willing to take a special order, have dealers search inventory for what you're looking for, or use this to negotiate a deal on an RX closer to what you want.
Old 05-01-14, 05:17 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

So much thanks to all of you. This forum is so helpful , I'm so glad I found it.
I'm lucky to have 4 Lexus dealers in the area. One is only 6 miles from me and I've dealt with them exclusively. The others are between 20-40 miles away.
My salesman is telling me that because Lexus has made a lot if the options standard this year, no one is ordering inventory that has the Luxury package. Well I'm determined to have it
I want the simi-aniline leather and the lighted door sills ( frivolous I know) but that's what I want.
I also want the ML sound because I love it in our GX.
All the inventory has things I don't want like remote start ( it never gets that cold here) tow package,( that's what the GX is for) the cargo area net (that I never use).
Then to make matters worse, some one says they don't give discounts on special orders. We've always got about 3-4 k off for military service, return buyer, etc.

Well thanks for letting me vent. I'm going back next week to haggle some more. I'll keep you'll updated.
Old 05-01-14, 05:59 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past few days I special ordered a 2015 RX350. The process will take between 2 - 4 months depending on your specific build. Dealers can only order one day a month. Don't expect more than 3% off MSRP.
Old 05-01-14, 08:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I don't buy that no one is ordering luxury package. People want it along with ML. It's probably not one of the more popular packages for your region.

Just wanted to point out remote start can also be used for AC. In the summer, I'll open the windows with the key fob to get the hot air out and turn on the RXh on to further cool it down. Tow package is probably standard for your area and would make it more appealing when you sell. The hitch is not included, that's extra. So you wouldn't even know it's there. And the cargo net IIRC is part of an accessory package with the floor mats. I'm sure they can remove it and deduct the cost.

My salesperson who only had three special orders in 15 years said discounting is not possible. But I managed to get 5% off, no doubt because I was a long time customer, and didn't return a call quickly enough. That delay saved me several hundred I guess he thought I was going to change my mind.

If possible expand your search area. E-mail the dealers so you don't have to run around. There has to be one out willing to special order an RX for you. Or come to NJ
Old 05-01-14, 09:17 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
I don't buy that no one is ordering luxury package. People want it along with ML. It's probably not one of the more popular packages for your region.

Just wanted to point out remote start can also be used for AC. In the summer, I'll open the windows with the key fob to get the hot air out and turn on the RXh on to further cool it down. Tow package is probably standard for your area and would make it more appealing when you sell. The hitch is not included, that's extra. So you wouldn't even know it's there. And the cargo net IIRC is part of an accessory package with the floor mats. I'm sure they can remove it and deduct the cost.

My salesperson who only had three special orders in 15 years said discounting is not possible. But I managed to get 5% off, no doubt because I was a long time customer, and didn't return a call quickly enough. That delay saved me several hundred I guess he thought I was going to change my mind.

If possible expand your search area. E-mail the dealers so you don't have to run around. There has to be one out willing to special order an RX for you. Or come to NJ
Might take you up on the NJ trip. I have a granddaughter living there.
Old 05-01-14, 09:22 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Might take you up on the NJ trip. I have a granddaughter living there.
Glenn ( salesman ) also pointed out I could use it for the AC. But starting the car 15 feet away in 100 degrees doesn't give it much time to cool besides its a Lexus. It cools super fast anyway.

Quick Reply: Ordering Directly From The Factory