RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Literally Saved My Uncle's Life

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 01:03 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RX Literally Saved My Uncle's Life

Hey guys,
I just wanted to share some pictures from the accident my "uncle" got into in late 2012 or early 2013. I've been meaning to post this earlier; sorry for not getting around to it sooner.

http://www.warnphotography.net/photo...f-suv-anaheim/

His RX was a 2012 RX 450h, so the car was pretty new at the time. Basically what happened, is that a car cut off the semi a little too close for comfort, so the semi driver swerved to avoid him, and ended up rolling onto his RX. It took the fire department about an hour to stabilize the semi and cut the door free. Once they got the door open, he got out on his own, and only sustained minor injuries. They hospitalized him as a precaution. He had some injury to his head, and had some spinal injury as a result of the accident, but quickly made a full recovery. I do not know if he bought another RX. I assume he did, as he has owned nothing but RX's since they first came out.

It makes me glad I own an RX, that's for sure.
Old 06-13-14, 03:26 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy heck! I'd say your uncle got extremely lucky. Those pictures don't give me any sense of security about the body rigidity or integrity of an RX - that thing is totally flattened.
Old 06-13-14, 04:11 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, he was lucky!! The RX definitely saved his life!
Old 06-13-14, 05:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Unbelievable. Very smart man to have ducked underneath the steering wheel.
Old 06-13-14, 06:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Woah, did not expect that when i saw the pictures!

Glad to hear your uncle is doing well!
Old 06-13-14, 08:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by neelnaik
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share some pictures from the accident my "uncle" got into in late 2012 or early 2013. I've been meaning to post this earlier; sorry for not getting around to it sooner.

His RX was a 2012 RX 450h, so the car was pretty new at the time. Basically what happened, is that a car cut off the semi a little too close for comfort, so the semi driver swerved to avoid him, and ended up rolling onto his RX. It took the fire department about an hour to stabilize the semi and cut the door free. Once they got the door open, he got out on his own, and only sustained minor injuries. They hospitalized him as a precaution. He had some injury to his head, and had some spinal injury as a result of the accident, but quickly made a full recovery. I do not know if he bought another RX. I assume he did, as he has owned nothing but RX's since they first came out.

WOW!!! God Bless!
Old 06-13-14, 08:32 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why the heck did the semi driver swerve????? He's got to back to driving school. If a car in front of him cuts him off, he is no real danger. It's the little car that will get crunched or pushed off the road. That semi has so much mass it wouldn't have budged from its path, even if it did get hit. All that semi driver did was cause an accident, and almost kill the RX driver. I agree we the post earlier, the pictures don't necessarily prove that the RX did anything. The entire top was completely caved in. Though that is pretty much what I would have expected given the size what fell on top of it.

So many accidents are caused by people doing what that semi driver did. When my wife was a new driver (age 16) she almost died when she tried to avoid a small animal in the road, careening into a ditch and flipping her car. If an animal is in the road in front of me and I can't safely slow down to give it time to move, its getting smooshed. I have been cut off in traffic before as well, and my bumper has been dented as a result. But I refused to swerve into the other lane and risk hitting someome else.
Old 06-13-14, 09:40 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, I'm glad your uncle survived so well. 40,000 lbs slamming down on top of the RX would flatten any vehicle and probably more than in this case. It was such a weight and force, the integrity seems pretty rugged to have endured it.
Take care
Originally Posted by neelnaik
Hey guys,

Old 06-13-14, 05:05 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

No plates on the Lexus so it what a shame that it got into an accident. Looks like the IIHS roof strength tests are important.
Old 06-14-14, 05:14 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive witnessed a car getting crushed too. Pretty horrific to be honest. A truck swerved on the motorway, same situation, I had literally just got onto the motorway and had been behind an Audi A5 for 5 minutes when it swerved, fell on its side straight onto the A5 in front of me.

Luckily, my RX was about a month old, so the brakes were new and strong enough to stop me from hitting the Audi. Because I work in the medical field, I knew there was no chance that the occupants in the A5 had survived, the car was crushed in half and spun all the way around.

Its good to know that you're in a strong vehicle which can take a strong impact and nobody was hurt in your case which is the important thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eckheaton.html

Last edited by rayaans; 06-14-14 at 05:17 AM.