RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Light Remind - warning for leaving headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 01:01 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Msat;

To confirm, if you leave your lights in the ON position shut off your vehicle, get out and close the door, the lights will not turn off by themselves after any period of time?

what happens in the 'auto' position?
Old 06-25-14, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by msat
Can you just reach in (without getting in or turning the car on or anything), and turn the lights on, and get a ding alert? I can on the loaners, but not on my car.

How this will help me is that I'll continue to look for a solution. If your's doesn't ding, then maybe the dealer's information is correct and the car simply doesn't have an alert. Doesn't make sense to me, but hey, who knows.
I've explained why that is. The headlights automatically turn off in your 2010, they do not in 2013 or newer Lexus vehicles. Hence why the loaners have chimes as yours does not...they are 2013 or newer Lexus vehicles and employ the new light system. Yours does not need a chime because your car will just turn the headlights off for you if you leave them on. The loaners need chimes because they do not turn the lights off if you leave them on.

Makes perfect sense. Yours does not chime, it will not chime, it can not chime. It doesn't have to chime because it turns the lights off for you if you leave them on.
Old 06-25-14, 01:19 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I've explained why that is. The headlights automatically turn off in your 2010, they do not in 2013 or newer Lexus vehicles. Hence why the loaners have chimes as yours does not...they are 2013 or newer Lexus vehicles and employ the new light system. Yours does not need a chime because your car will just turn the headlights off for you if you leave them on. The loaners need chimes because they do not turn the lights off if you leave them on.

Makes perfect sense. Yours does not chime, it will not chime, it can not chime. It doesn't have to chime because it turns the lights off for you if you leave them on.
lmao, that's what I was trying to clarify with him/her. If the lights do not auto turn off (even in the ON position) then yes there is a problem. An earlier post of OP testing the problem implicated that 'he' was still inside the car while testing and looks like he missed the explanation of why they wouldn't turn off (car was waiting for you to get out)
Old 06-25-14, 02:39 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a little surprised that Carista will perform a task like this while it cannot be changed at the dealer. How did you guys find the configurable option that is not part of Techstream? Impressive.
Yeah, we're proud of that one We found it with the help of someone from a company that specializes in add-on DRL modules and other hardware that talks to Toyota/Lexus cars.
Old 07-01-14, 05:44 AM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Msat;

To confirm, if you leave your lights in the ON position shut off your vehicle, get out and close the door, the lights will not turn off by themselves after any period of time?

what happens in the 'auto' position?
More testing.

(1) If I get in the vehicle, close the door, turn on the lights, get out of the vehicle, close the door... does not turn off the lights automatically.

(2) If I start the engine, turn on the lights, turn off the engine, then get out of the car... does turn off lights automatically after 30 seconds (been reset I think).

(3) In the auto position, no lights until engine is turned on, then will turn off automatically.

In scenario (1), for example, if the lights get turned on by a valet without an engine start sequence, or accidentally get turned on while cleaning the car, or otherwise bumped on, the lights will go off only when the battery is dead, and there is no warning chime.
Old 07-01-14, 05:48 AM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS

"automatically turn off in your 2010" << not true, only turn off automatically if there has been an associated engine start. as described in the previous post. if the lights get turned on by a valet without an engine start sequence, or accidentally get turned on while cleaning the car, or otherwise bumped on, the lights will go off only when the battery is dead, and there is no warning chime.

"they do not in 2013 or newer Lexus vehicles" << not true. I had a 2014 as a loaner. Light remind chime is active (ding ding ding), and the lights turn off automatically after 60 seconds.
Old 07-01-14, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I've been driving Lexus vehicles that operate exactly like yours for 16 years and have never had a valet or anybody turn on the lights and have them left on and have it kill the battery. It's just a non-issue.

The solution is simple. Don't turn your lights on while the car is just sitting someplace and not being started or driven. Why would you even do that?

Anyways the discussion is moot, because your vehicle has no light warning chime, it can have no light warning chime. So best to adapt.
Old 07-01-14, 07:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

More testing.

(1) If I get in the vehicle, close the door, turn on the lights, get out of the vehicle, close the door... does not turn off the lights automatically.

(2) If I start the engine, turn on the lights, turn off the engine, then get out of the car... does turn off lights automatically after 30 seconds (been reset I think).

(3) In the auto position, no lights until engine is turned on, then will turn off automatically.

In scenario (1), for example, if the lights get turned on by a valet without an engine start sequence, or accidentally get turned on while cleaning the car, or otherwise bumped on, the lights will go off only when the battery is dead, and there is no warning chime.
So (2) and (3) is how the vehicle is supposed to work.

You're creating this issue with the unnecessary changing of the light position when the vehicle is set up for your maximum convienience. I personally can't think of any reason where a valet will turn the light on before starting the vehicle and the changes of someone bumping into the switch and turning the **** selector to a different position seem remote at best. Both of those sdnarios seem to be manual overrides and the vehicle is assuming you turned the light on bypassing all of the coveniences installed, so you will know to turn off your lights. Yes there could be a warning chime installed for scenario (1) but is it absolutely necessary. Probably not, as most people will appreciate that they don't need to touch the stalk these days and can just leave the vehicle in 'Auto' and the work will be done for them.

Personally my garage will never ever turn my lights to on, they turn them off (DRL off) while in the garage (because it's lighted but not lighted enough to stop the lights from coming on) and I have to remind myself to look down and turn the light on when they bring me my truck.

Simply put, Scenario (1) does not need to happen. Start the vehicle before you turn on your lights on.
Old 07-02-14, 06:49 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carista
The warning ding is configurable, but the dealer can't do it (ar least on some cars). In Carista, we found a setting that is NOT available in the dealer software, at least for our 2010 RX450h test vehicle. So yes, you can change it yourself with the Carista app for Android. However, it may not ding if you leave the switch in auto mode because that's the whole point of the auto mode - you just leave it that way and you don't worry about headlights anymore.

Furthermore, Carista can change how long you want the headlights to stay on after ignition is turned off, if they're in auto mode. It's called "Coming-home lights" and you can set it to turn off immediately or after some timeout.

See the link in my signature for more info on Carista (or ask here).
Hi Carista,

What is the name of the option to control the alert for this vehicle?

Here is what Carista is replying with, and I haven't identified which option it is.

Instruments / Display / Dings:

Remote low battery warning
*ON* / OFF

Rear parking sensor range
NARROW / *WIDE*

Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec.
YES / *NO*

Parking sensor beep volume
1 / 2 / *3* / 4 / MAX

Activate parking sensors in neutral (N)
*YES* / NO

Enable front parking sensors when in reverse (R)
*FRONT* / OFF

Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
REAR / REAR CORNER / *OFF*

Dash display mode
*ALL* / UNDISP

ECO Drive indicator zone
*ON* / OFF