RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking of getting an RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 01:57 AM
supaflyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting an RX

Hello guys, I'm totally new to this forum.

I'm a nurse. I don't have any kids yet or married. I'm planning to get an Lexus RX 350. However, I do have some questions to ask you guys.
I have no prior experience in owning a Lexus. This will be my first car that I'm buying new Hopefully by the end of the semester I will finish paying off my mortgage and buying a new car. I have narrow it down that I want a SUV because the current one I have is a 2007 Toyota Highlander. I like the view of a SUV compared to a car. I have heard of great things from Toyota and Lexus on reliability. My highlander has 97k miles on it with no problems. My mom camry has 114k miles on it without a problem. My brother camry also had around 100k on it. He traded it in to get the new 2015 chevy tahoe. The tahoe look amazing and I wanted to get one, but I have no family to carry around plus I have no need for the towing. I just need something that could carry things a few time of the year.

My aunt has the 2012 lexus rx 400H I believe. It still looks new and she has no problems with it. The reason I want to get the RX350 is because of the reliability, gas, and overall function. I did some research and was trying to choose the new jeep grand cherokee, the acura mdx, or the Rx. I heard Jeep has really bad reliability and resale value. My brother told me Acura has transmission issues so the RX was left.

My sister in law also plan on buying a rx350. I have done some reading on this forum and some people indicate the redesign will be in 2016? Is it the same size as the highlander? The highlander is perfect for me but I want something new and a little more luxurious. I was also looking at a GX460 but I don't like the interior. The exterior is ok looking for the gx.

Last edited by supaflyz; 07-12-14 at 02:02 AM. Reason: more details
Old 07-12-14, 10:05 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming your Highlander is prior yo 2014, have you seen the newest Highlander? It's longer (seats 7) and looks more like a Mimi van than the previous models. It also cost about the same as the RX if you get the loaded Limited model. I looked at it but went back to the RX for several reasons. Main one the RX looks better and it definitely is more luxurious. I also checked out the MDX and was not impressed, as for the Jeep, I wouldn't have a Chrysler product if it was free.
I have both the GX and the RX and although the GX is great I don't think it's really what you need. Sounds like you mainly do local driving ( like me ) and the RX is best suited for that. Better gas mileage plus it uses regular unleaded instead of premium and it just handles better when just running errands or going to work. I love driving it.
No way to know what the next generation RX will be like. That's why I bought the 2015 instead of waiting. I wanted a SUV that was attractive and luxurious with a great ride and that's what I got. I do admit to being prejudice though.
Best of luck with your decision. If you choose the RX I'm confident you will love it.
Old 07-12-14, 11:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Welcome to CL, supaflyz. You are correct, the RX will be redesigned for 2016. Launch is typically in April. No pictures yet but it's rumored to have a third row. Of course they've been saying that about the last two generations. And the the GX might disappear in a few years. I was next to a Highlander the other day. Same size as my RXh but has a more truck like appearance IMO. Cargo area looks a little roomier, probably because the tailgate is not angled like the RX. It didn't have a roof rack.

Have you checked out the NX? It's similar to the size of the first gen RX. Two versions will be available, the F-Sport 200t or hybrid 300h. Horsepower will be around 235 and 195 respectively, or 35 HP less than the current 350 and 100 HP less than the 450h. The original 300 had 220 HP. Click here to check out the NX forum.

Pictures of the 200t and 300h I took at the NYIAS this past April.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of getting an RX-img_0524.jpg   Thinking of getting an RX-img_0546.jpg  
Old 07-12-14, 01:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by supaflyz
Hello guys, I'm totally new to this forum.

I'm a nurse. I don't have any kids yet or married. I'm planning to get an Lexus RX 350. However, I do have some questions to ask you guys.
I have no prior experience in owning a Lexus. This will be my first car that I'm buying new Hopefully by the end of the semester I will finish paying off my mortgage and buying a new car. I have narrow it down that I want a SUV because the current one I have is a 2007 Toyota Highlander. I like the view of a SUV compared to a car. I have heard of great things from Toyota and Lexus on reliability. My highlander has 97k miles on it with no problems. My mom camry has 114k miles on it without a problem. My brother camry also had around 100k on it. He traded it in to get the new 2015 chevy tahoe. The tahoe look amazing and I wanted to get one, but I have no family to carry around plus I have no need for the towing. I just need something that could carry things a few time of the year.

My aunt has the 2012 lexus rx 400H I believe. It still looks new and she has no problems with it. The reason I want to get the RX350 is because of the reliability, gas, and overall function. I did some research and was trying to choose the new jeep grand cherokee, the acura mdx, or the Rx. I heard Jeep has really bad reliability and resale value. My brother told me Acura has transmission issues so the RX was left.

My sister in law also plan on buying a rx350. I have done some reading on this forum and some people indicate the redesign will be in 2016? Is it the same size as the highlander? The highlander is perfect for me but I want something new and a little more luxurious. I was also looking at a GX460 but I don't like the interior. The exterior is ok looking for the gx.

Welcome to CL!

RX is best in class for reliability so you're covered. As for gas, just Regular is required and consumption on the 350 is average for its class. For best-in-class, you'll need the 450h (hybrid). It's about 7K more but it's powertrain quietness and smoothness is unbeatable which also adds to the luxury drive, on top of getting significantly better mileage.

You seem to like the new Highlander and size. It's currently 3 inches longer and a half inch wider than the current RX. Expect the 2016 RX (in about a year from now) to be a little bigger than the current one up to (at most) the length of the Highlander. It may or may not be 7-passengers if this matters to you. This is not known at this time.

If you want something 5 inches shorter, 2 inches narrower than the current RX that is also about 25% better on fuel economy, the NX will suit you very well. It is expected to cost about 5K less than a comparably equipped RX. It will be out in December this year. Anita pointed out the link of the forum where you can find lots of pictures, reviews, and even specs. One thing to point out is the Turbo engine requires Premium fuel reducing your cost savings to maybe 15% over an RX 350. The NX Hybrid takes regular so expect about 25% cheaper fuel costs than the RX 450h.

A final comment to the fact that you don't have any experience in owning a Lexus. The rewards in owning a Lexus, unlike its competitors, is it works as expected. No surprises and unplanned visits to the garage. Yes, you'll have your routine maintenance (mainly just an oil change) twice a year and wear and tear items (tires and brakes) in a few years. That's it. Some people call this boring. I call it luxury.

Good luck in your decision and keep us posted!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-12-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-12-14, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I just replaced my previous 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which is similar in price to a new RX, perhaps a little cheaper.

I had some reliability issues with the 2011 Jeep although I really liked it, and thus was looking outside the Jeep brand. I drove everything, the RX, the MDX, Infinitis QX60, etc. I came to the conclusion that the Jeep is just on another level than all of them and came to the conclusion that I was going to have another Jeep despite my issues. It's a much more robust vehicle, more solid, better riding, quieter, more capable, more features, better quality interior. Resale is pretty good, I got a great trade on the 2011. The RX will undoubtedly more reliable, but the Jeep is far more vehicle IMHO. Question is whether that's worth the potential reliability issues.
Old 07-12-14, 02:16 PM
supaflyz
Driver School Candidate

I don't want the nx. My sister in law saw it with me on the internet. It looks too small and I don't like the styling. How about the F sport version guys?
Old 07-12-14, 05:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

The NX is smaller than the RX but not small IMO. I thought it was comparable to the original RX300 in size when I saw it in person. Styling is another story. It's not like the RX. But it can change. We'll have to wait a few more months before it officially hits the showroom. Please understand I brought up the NX for the 'new' and 'luxury' appeal you're looking for.

If the Highlander feels comfortable to you, then you'll love the RX. The F-Sport is really something you need to drive. The trans is different (8 speed vs 6) and the suspension is stiffer. It's definitely not for everyone. Corrado is our unofficial RX F-Sport ambassador. He can answer any questions you have.
Old 07-12-14, 09:25 PM
supaflyz
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the advice. I'm going to just get an RX 350 AWD probably in silver. My aunt vehicle is about 4 years old and still looks brand new. My other 2 cousin had a jeep grand cherokee about 15 years back. My aunt also bought a brand new jeep grand cherokee. I just don't want to spend my time at the dealership. I hate waiting especially at the dealership.
Old 07-12-14, 09:58 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an '04 Highlander with 140K, no problems, fun to drive. Wife has '11 RX and she loves it. She is a nurse too, but about to retire. The sales and service people at our Lexs dealership are wonderful. This is the first dealership I look forward to going to for advice, personal settings of the bells and whistles and oil changes, rather than loathing like the other dealerships, even Toyota. Sounds like you've done your homework and you know what you want. You will do well.
Ray A.
Old 07-13-14, 01:39 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ supaflyz

The RX 350 is not an SUV, it's a CUV ( crossover)
MOST major insurance classify the RX As a wagon.
So it's unfair to the RX350 to be compared to a Grand Cherokee, which is more capable OFF ROAD.
THE GX460 on the other hand, is part of a dying breed body on frame SUV.

Do yourself a favor.
Take all the cars you mentioned for a test drive.
Whether it's the Tahoe, the grand Cherokee, RX 350 or the GX 460.
You might want to add the new Highlander Limited in the mix.

It seems your budget is flexible so i'd like to confuse you more by adding some Germans/ european
BMW X3 and X5
AUDI Q5 and Q7 and the SQ5
VW TIguan
Porsche Cayenne and Macan

A few years back we were shopping for a Toyota Land Cruiser, compared it with the LX 570
This 2 vehicles are basically the same.
Decided to go with the LEXUS for one reason. Lexus experience ( Service)
I hope i answered your concern about owning a Lexus.
Old 07-13-14, 05:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The RX is a perfect vehicle for everyone. It seems to have been designed to appeal to a wide variety.

Its smaller than the Highlander but its not too small. Its just the right size I guess.

Now a few words on the NX. Personally I think itll be too small for you. Reason being, that although Lexus are claiming that the rear seat space is just 0.4 inches smaller, this does not mean anything!!!

This is because the rear legroom is a direct consequence of the front legroom. Let me explain. The NX's front legroom is smaller than the RX. Therefore, a 6 foot tall bloke like me would have to have the seat further back in the NX than in the RX leading to smaller USEABLE space in the back. Therefore, although Lexus have said the NX is only 0.4 inches smaller, it actually means that the minimum OR maximum legroom is 0.4 inches smaller.
Old 07-13-14, 09:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
So it's unfair to the RX350 to be compared to a Grand Cherokee, which is more capable OFF ROAD.
I totally disagree. The GC and RX are similar in size, room, capacity, and price on the upper trims of the GC. The GC is more robust and is better off road, but like I said IMHO it delivers a better on road ride and performance as well. It's unibody, like the RX. Not a crossover I agree, but people absolutely compare them. I post on a Jeep forum and people talk about cross shopping the RX all the time.

I'm just saying, you should test drive an Overland or Summit GC if you're looking for a 2 row vehicle from 45-55k. For what an RX with nav costs you get air suspension, much better 4WD system, RWD biased drivetrain, radar cruise control, pcs, nappa leather, leather dash and doors, panoramic sunroof, real wood, MUCH better infotainment system, more configurable displays, at about $52k in the summit you get a suede headliner, Harmon Kardon audio, active noise canceling, special trim and wheels. V8 option, diesel option, all in a package that is more solid riding and quieter...outside of he Lexus LS It's the best riding highway car I've ever had.

Reliability and dealer experience won't be up to Lexus standard though to be sure. Totally worth it to me, and that's coming from a 16 year 6 time Lexus owner. Try one

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-13-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 01:50 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
The RX is a perfect vehicle for everyone. It seems to have been designed to appeal to a wide variety.

Its smaller than the Highlander but its not too small. Its just the right size I guess.

Now a few words on the NX. Personally I think itll be too small for you. Reason being, that although Lexus are claiming that the rear seat space is just 0.4 inches smaller, this does not mean anything!!!

This is because the rear legroom is a direct consequence of the front legroom. Let me explain. The NX's front legroom is smaller than the RX. Therefore, a 6 foot tall bloke like me would have to have the seat further back in the NX than in the RX leading to smaller USEABLE space in the back. Therefore, although Lexus have said the NX is only 0.4 inches smaller, it actually means that the minimum OR maximum legroom is 0.4 inches smaller.
This is true. Our GX is 2 inches longer than the RX. GX has a third row and therefore less leg space in front. My 6'1" hubby complains about this daily. The GX is his car, his choice
Old 07-13-14, 04:14 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans

I'd have to agree here almost to the point that is has become too common on the roads. I swear I see more RX350s including prior gens than any other SUV on the road.