RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 09:50 AM
livemeyer
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kudos and corrections

Originally Posted by 123go
Shocking how people chance their timing belt/chain(s) to last past service recommendations.
I personally changed hundreds of belts/chains and 25yrs ago it was common to see a belt in rough shape at 60-80k inspection so you instantly realized its life was over.
Now days I rarely see belts looking worn out as they're made so much better now, well' China belts are trash and show wear, may even break at 50k. Buyer beware!
What I do see around replacement time or even past that time, are belts that are stretched and the tensioner totally seized (hydraulic) and/or spring tensioner just worn out but you cant tell this until you tear it all down.

This causes belts/chains to simply fall off pulleys. Being the p.o.c. we all know they are, my friend just towed his GM Aveo to the junk yard last summer.
First engine was destroyed around 65k miles on a trip out of state when its timing belt slipped off. A shop there put in a used 35k mile engine and the exact same thing happened again around 80k miles on the 2nd engine. Car was never driven hard, always maintained and no towing, all of which greatly shortens your belt/chain life.
It can happen to any car but my point is that's what I see more than anything.
Its not often a belt actually "breaks" since today's belts are as tough as chains, not seen one break within recommended intervals in several yrs. Ask a Harley rider what he puts his bikes belts through, Harley's ran belts instead of chains for many yrs now.

Timing belt driven water pumps tend to leak onto belts/pulleys making the belt slide off so beware when your antifreeze disappears. Toy/Lexus designed their pumps to not drip on belt/pulleys bad but older Toys did it. Most other car makes belt still get very wet and slide off so pay attention to your anti levels.
I've seen belts 50-75k miles past due still looking perfect but they are in fact bad.
I'll never push an interference engines belt/chain to its limits, sorry that's just not wise for anyone to ever do. My 07 4Runner (4.7 v8) hydraulic tensioner was totally seized with 95k miles when I changed it. I know its not a common issue but it only takes one time to destroy an engine over belt tension issues. "So' are you lucky punk?" Hey' Eastwood said it not me..lol
Personally before mine did it I had assumed what I saw from time to time was seized from lack of oil changes and I failed to look at the tensioner close enough to see if rust was on the plunger/stem making it seize or possibly interrupt movement because that's what my 4.7 did. A hammer wouldn't budge mine. Many seized are low mile vehicles as the tensioner don't move enough, belts weaken with age too on them so change it if its old. My knowing it happens regardless of oil changes I'll never leave a hydraulic tensioner on for another 100k mile round like many people say they do. Really idk what Toy/Lex states on the tensioner matter and I don't care after what I've seen. I'll happily spend the extra $50 for a new one every single time.

Chains stretch and generally rub on guides as already mentioned but if its not heard or simply ignored too long the chain can skip a tooth or even fall off its sprockets. Anytime after 120k a chain setup is on borrowed time. Personally I prefer timing belts because I know they are much cheaper over the life of the vehicle, they last nearly as long today and with no sprockets to buy with belts, today its much cheaper in the long run! People complained about belts, somebody listened and now stealerships make a lot more money. So be it!

Fwiw- All Nissan & Infiniti engines are interference engines regardless if chains/belt. The old Nissan 3.0 with belt costs $450 every 100k miles vs $1300 every 120k after Nissan updated it to Chain. Called its V6 a 3.5 after changing to chain but its the same engine. Yup!
Sorry long...
Wow, some interesting takes here, some good information mixed in with some suspect personal opinion. Let me just address the last part with regard to Nissan. I just upgraded to Lexus 450h from a 2003 Pathfinder LE. This is a great engine with a timing chain and is not the 3.0 liter from the 90's! Besides the obvious - that its displacement is 3.5 liters not 3 liters, it also has coil on plug ignition and many other changes that don't come to mind right now. It was my fourth Pathfinder I've owned over the last 30 years, after having owned a 1990 and 1994 (3.0l engine), a 2000 (3.3l engine) and the aforementioned 2003 with the 3.5. That engine was a beast, 240hp and tons of torque. It being 20 years old I wanted to upgrade to something newer, but it was running great with no engine codes at 247,000 miles. Yes, it was an interference engine, as most modern engines are. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear the Lexus 3.5l is a non-interference engine, but it doesn't matter much since with timing chain these just don't break much.

A previous comment about a stretched timing chain, in particular with an older Buick using nylon teeth for noise control, was quite common in the 70's and 80's, but not the case today with modern engines. That part about a timing chain getting stretched and the engine being slightly out of time can indeed happen. However, with modern engines, timing is all controlled electronically, you can't touch it. Not like the old days when you could reach for the distributor and turn it slightly to change timing. These days, tune-ups are mostly a visual inspection to replace worn drive belts, replace spark plugs, oxygen sensors and vacuum lines. One person mentioned that the timing chain does not need to be serviced and generally lasts the life of the car. I want to amend that slightly, that it should last the life of the engine, not the car. Cars rust, transmissions fail, many other factors can lead to the demise of the car before the engine is shot. On the flip side, yes, a poorly maintained engine can cause premature degradation, but that essentially means changing the oil, because there isn't much to be done on a modern engine except make sure it a: doesn't have old oil, b: doesn't leak oil and therefore run without oil, and c: doesn't get overheated due to lack of coolant. Knowing your engine has a timing chain should be peace of mind that you'll never have to worry about it unless something bad has happened to the engine or you're approaching end-of-life of the engine, which I dare say with a Toyota engine could be approaching 300,000 miles or more.
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 06:39 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by livemeyer
Wow, some interesting takes here, some good information mixed in with some suspect personal opinion. Let me just address the last part with regard to Nissan. I just upgraded to Lexus 450h from a 2003 Pathfinder LE. This is a great engine with a timing chain and is not the 3.0 liter from the 90's! Besides the obvious - that its displacement is 3.5 liters not 3 liters, it also has coil on plug ignition and many other changes that don't come to mind right now. It was my fourth Pathfinder I've owned over the last 30 years, after having owned a 1990 and 1994 (3.0l engine), a 2000 (3.3l engine) and the aforementioned 2003 with the 3.5. That engine was a beast, 240hp and tons of torque. It being 20 years old I wanted to upgrade to something newer, but it was running great with no engine codes at 247,000 miles. Yes, it was an interference engine, as most modern engines are. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear the Lexus 3.5l is a non-interference engine, but it doesn't matter much since with timing chain these just don't break much.

A previous comment about a stretched timing chain, in particular with an older Buick using nylon teeth for noise control, was quite common in the 70's and 80's, but not the case today with modern engines. That part about a timing chain getting stretched and the engine being slightly out of time can indeed happen. However, with modern engines, timing is all controlled electronically, you can't touch it. Not like the old days when you could reach for the distributor and turn it slightly to change timing. These days, tune-ups are mostly a visual inspection to replace worn drive belts, replace spark plugs, oxygen sensors and vacuum lines. One person mentioned that the timing chain does not need to be serviced and generally lasts the life of the car. I want to amend that slightly, that it should last the life of the engine, not the car. Cars rust, transmissions fail, many other factors can lead to the demise of the car before the engine is shot. On the flip side, yes, a poorly maintained engine can cause premature degradation, but that essentially means changing the oil, because there isn't much to be done on a modern engine except make sure it a: doesn't have old oil, b: doesn't leak oil and therefore run without oil, and c: doesn't get overheated due to lack of coolant. Knowing your engine has a timing chain should be peace of mind that you'll never have to worry about it unless something bad has happened to the engine or you're approaching end-of-life of the engine, which I dare say with a Toyota engine could be approaching 300,000 miles or more.
My take on avoiding any timing chain or other timing related issues on many modern engines is to just change the oil every 4-5k miles. I say this because these newer engines rely on clean oil to function properly such the VVTi actuators, timing chain tensioners, and just having tighter tolerances among the various parts in general. Running oil even for the recommended 10k miles(Toyota) can allow it run low on oil which over time damages the engine.

During an oil change interval; an older engine could lose oil through a bad PCV valve, sticking oil piston rings, leaky seals, etc; all at the same time in most cases. The lack of proper oil level is usually what kills a timing chain and the plastic timing chain guides. Shorter oil changes usually do not allow an engine the time to lose enough oil to cause damage, however the longer 10k oil change interval could allow an older engine to run very low on oil; which is not good for the health of the engine.

A Toyota engine being serviced with 4-5k oil changes could last well over 500k miles without any major issues.The same engine would probably last about 200-300k miles with the 10k oil change schedule; which is still not bad.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-06-23 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-07-23, 09:50 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
The timing chain guides often wear out before the chain does. This can create noise from the front of the engine where the chain runs and can result in timing gear damage if not corrected. Poorly maintained vehicles are more likely to have these issues.
I'm going to agree with this comment. If the engine has been well maintained with regular oil changes every 6 months/5K miles no reason the timing chain and guides should not last hundreds of thousands of odo clicks. But if not, the guide is I think where the fear should lie, This part is not as strong as the chain, and if this breaks or wears out significantly then you'll get a lot of slop and noise and possibly have the chain skip a tooth (then very rough running), or in very severe cases break. If comfortable that proper maintenance has been followed, changing the chain at 75K is way too soon.